Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Things You Hate About Gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

CastorTroy wrote: »
    If you mean games that you can play and they're fun and over the top, I've a few suggestions:

MadWorld on Wii -

I have that, but I found both it and Bullet Storm got very boring after the initial novelty of all the new fun ways to kill mobs and make interesting combos. I've played that more then any other wii title but there wasn't anything to keep me hooked, while Bullet Storm did have a story, most of the guns were pants and the combat system wasn't my thing and it was annoying enough that I wasn't going to endure it to get to the rest of the story.
    House of the Dead Overkill on Wii/PS3 - Got through it in one evening but it's a fun B-movie/grindhouse story around an on rails shooter

Will keep an eye out for that.
    Shadows of the Damned and Lollipop Chainsaw(PS3/360) - Both games I plan on getting as they do look like fun

I've looked at Lollipop chainsaw but honestly think the twee personality of the cheer leader would do my head in, why can't I have a game where I can massacre cheer leaders with a chain saw and throw them under a bus.
    Mean girls the game, I'd by that.
    Timesplitters (PS2/XBox/NGC) - I've only played 2 and 3 but if you haven't played them and like to play multiplayer as a monkey, then this is for you. :)

Only on special occasions.... ahem those look like they might be worth picking up thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

johnny_ultimate (<3) already listed most of my points earlier but to add two more.

The inability to legitimately acquire older games. This has happened to me a bunch of times but the most recent example is Magic & Mayhem. With all this talk of a new X-Com from Firaxis I felt the need to return to one of Julian Gollop's older games which I have fond memories of. Luck in finding it? Ziltch. :(

Gamers. Entitled, arrogant, moany, lazy, rude, cheap gamers. Hate. You're not always right. You don't know how games are made because you play them all the time. Your opinion is not more correct than everyone elses. You're not more of a gamer than the next guy because of the games you play or the platforms you own. You don't have the right to talk down to other gamers because they're new at a game or play different games. I could go on but then I saw Overheal's post and got that lovely warm fuzzy feeling inside. :)

See, one of the points I feel most strongly about is that of design. The Megaman video he linked really hits the nail on the head but let me give you an even simpler example. Look closely at this image. It's the very first screen from Mario Bros on the NES. Look at the content of the screen, the placement of the blocks and enemies and the result of hitting the first question block.

supermariobrosbeginning.png

Now read this. I know, right?

Now look at modern games and gamers reaction to them. You often hear people giving out about games being consolised or "dumbed down" for consoles. Why not call it what it is? Terrible design. There are a huge number of fantastic games released on consoles which in no way compromise the design of the game in order to work. Hardcore RPGs, for instance, supposedly don't work on consoles? Really? Demons Souls and Dark Souls beg to differ. I'd wager The Witcher 2 will work perfectly too. While there are certainly technical reasons why console games are handicapped in some ways, clever design can generally overcome them.

Spelling things out for players is incredibly annoying too, as the Mega Man and Mario examples above show, you can ease players into the mechanics with thoughtful design decisions rather than copping out and having great big highlighted areas and on-screen hints. Same goes for directional instructions in-games. Look at Journey, not a flashing arrow or on-screen prompt insight, all of it was accomplished elegantly through design.

I also find difficulty and challenge in games is often misunderstood. There was an interesting back in forth in the Uncharted 3 thread where we argued about the many combat scenarios in the game. Some called these challenging while others, including myself, called them poorly designed and unbalanced messes. To me, a challenge is something which forces the gamer to use their own skills and those which have been acquired during gameplay to make it through a section. This doesn't include repeatedly reloading a checkpoint, hoping the enemies spawn and act in such a way that allows you to make it past. Demons Souls and Dark Souls too are great examples of games which are tough but, for the most part, fair. You have to act cautiously, watch your opponent and exploit openings. It simply requires a more thoughtful approach from the user but this doesn't mean it's too hard.

AI is another area which has suffered in more modern games. While it is undoubtedly a difficult area of development, there has been a painfully small number of games noted for their engaging AI. The last I can really think of is FEAR. That game was the perfect blend of decent AI and thoughtful level design which meant that the firefights were constantly interesting. On a similar note, balancing in games has also suffered. What we have now is a (occasionally) balanced Normal difficulty and then for Easy and Hard a lot of devs seems to be just playing with health and damage levels for the player. While this is one facet of it, there's so much more that could be done. Look at Bayonetta for instance, it tinkered with the actual mechanics of the game to the point where it was the first game in a long time where upon finishing the normal difficulty I immediately jumped into the harder mode.

There there's linearity in games. To illustrate the point, here's the often linked image which, although perhaps being a little simplified, at least drives the point home. Note, I have no problem with cutscenes, just linear level design. While it can often be important to gently guide the player in a game, this can be done in a far more natural way than relying on things like invisible walls, radioactive fog or barking radio commands in your ear.

Finally there's the stalwarts, cover based shooters and regenerating health. In the case of the former, I cannot understand people's blanket objections to them. The ability to take cover during a firefight seems far more natural to me than standing in front of a wall, facing it and then side stepping out. What does often ruin games is not just this mechanic, it's level designers using it as a crutch for design, the infamous over abundance of chest high walls. From the looks of it, Max Payne 3 is taking the right approach, cover is sparse, destructible and can be used tactically. Not just there to be abused by players because of poor level design.

Regen health is another odd one. Used liberally it can be quite enjoyable and can ensure the player is able to take risks while knowing they have a small safety net should the **** hit the fan. This kind of system is similar to the one in Resistance where once you lose a portion of your health past a certain level, it will only regenerate back to that mark. Full regen health is a disaster though, it's constantly used as a crutch by both level designers and gamers alike and can, more often than not, ruin the flow of combat in a game. Not that I have a massive problem with good old health packs either of course, but I've found a combination of those with the staged regen system has worked quite well in recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Reekwind wrote: »
    No, that's doesn't follow. You could call me a Brazilian if you wanted but it still wouldn't make much sense because it's not an accurate description. Even though everybody likes Brazilians. But then in this context it would be like talking to me in Portuguese because I like to samba

It's simple: I am not a gamer. I've looked at the community/culture/whatever and found little there that I identify with. I don't have or desire the baggage that comes it; I don't identify with the culture. Given this, why should I be considered a 'gamer' just because I play computer games? Isn't it possible to do with without embracing all the memes and norms of a specific subculture that is alien to me?

I suppose that part of my problem is the way in which gaming is becoming mainstream. I don't think it's filtered into the mainstream per se, at least not for PC gaming, so much as the subculture that surrounds it has become a lot more prominent, larger and acceptable. To be blunt: it's a lot more common to see people with Pacman t-shirts. The issue is that when you don't identify with this subculture

haha.. this post just reeks of self-consciousness.. "Are you a gamer ? No... but i play video games".. just retarded in every sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Timed missions!! Fúck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Magill wrote:
    haha.. this post just reeks of self-consciousness.. "Are you a gamer ? No... but i play video games".. just retarded in every sense.
    And this is a perfect example of which I don't want to be associated with 'gamer' culture. It's "retarded"? Perhaps also 'gay'? Fail, douche

The failure to follow the thread, where I've already made the central contention that playing games does not make you a 'gamer', I'll put down to yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

This sums up all my sentiments on what I dislike about modern games.

this sums it up a bit better for me :D

And this is a perfect example of which I don't want to be associated with 'gamer' culture. It's "retarded"? Perhaps also 'gay'? Fail, douche

The failure to follow the thread, where I've already made the central contention that playing games does not make you a 'gamer', I'll put down to yourself

Oh right.. i forgot that 'retarded' or 'gay' are gamer exclusive adjectives... better tell those guys over at the soccer forum (And pretty much every forum on the internet) to stop stealing our lingo. Your entire argument is based on the notion that you think being called a gamer is beneath you.. or at least thats how you come off. Quite pathetic imo... considering here you are posting on multiple threads in a gaming forum. Not something i'd expect from someone who isn't a gamer really who doesn't want to be associated with 'gamer' culture.

Anyway.. im off to put on my world of warcraft t-shirt, order 15 pizza's, a case of redbull and prepare for another weekend of raiding.. you know.. because thats what all us gamers do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Play nearly any online game, people leaving just before the end of the game cause lost and don't want bad scores, especially if their the host and lobby gets closed :S

Makes my blood boil!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

Play nearly any online game, people leaving just before the end of the game cause lost and don't want bad scores, especially if their the host and lobby gets closed :S

Makes my blood boil!!

Rage quitting is a serious problem, especially in games which have dedicated playlists for 'ranked' gameplay. You can deter this attitude with one abusive message per rage quit for abandoning their team mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was Doom really that bouncy? Maybe I just didn't notice back in the day. And I don't play CoD so have to ask Do they really do that "Return to Combat Zone" thing?

• Advertisement

Was Doom really that bouncy? Maybe I just didn't notice back in the day. And I don't play CoD so have to ask Do they really do that "Return to Combat Zone" thing?

No, thats battlefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

CORaven wrote: »
    Rage quitting is a serious problem, especially in games which have dedicated playlists for 'ranked' gameplay. You can deter this attitude with one abusive message per rage quit for abandoning their team mates.

the worst rage quiters: moba players... they are ****ing up not just their own stats and game, but other 4 people too. it is really annoying as moba matches can go around 30-60min average.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭raze

From your own posts you seem like a clear thinking person, but I believe your last reply is wrong to put words in other people's mouths. You're better than a strawman argument I'm sure.

However, would you not accept, in a comparable situation, if someone played for a local soccer team, it would seem strange for them to object to being called a footballer because of the implications of football culture?

Moreover, if the same person communicated their issues to a group of self-professed footballers in a community forum, then the likelihood of confusion is compounded.

Anyway, I respect your initial point, and think I can understand where you're coming from. Personally, I know a guy who has an Xbox and he phones me all the time when he can't work out how to use the thing. He knows next to nothing about the hardware, only plays games occasionally, and I doubt he could name a character from a video game series unless he knew it from another medium. For me, he's still a gamer, because he plays - even though he's light years removed from any gaming sub-culture.

Roughly speaking, of the three home consoles currently sold, there are over 200 million units in homes worldwide. You've got to do some really fuzzy math to guess what that equates to in terms of how many people play games worldwide, but it could be an average of one machine in every 20 households. It's a big demographic, a relatively new one, and it's pretty heterogeneous when you break it down. While it's unfortunate that it can be characterised by its most fervent adherents, it is a gross simplification to consider that subculture to be the whole.

But, as I say, I respect your point - and I think your issue is with the perception of the group, not the reality of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Was Doom really that bouncy?

It wasn't bouncy at all, just part of the piss-take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

raze wrote:
    From your own posts you seem like a clear thinking person, but I believe your last reply is wrong to put words in other people's mouths. You're better than a strawman argument I'm sure
    I don't think it's that much of a stretch in the case of Magill and I'd almost suggest that it works in general

Obviously I'm not suggesting that this language is universal amongst the subculture or is the sole preserve of it (as Magill seems to believe). But – and I stress that this is simply the product of my experience – I do believe that casual homophobic, racist and sexist abuse is depressingly common amongst the 'gaming community'. One reason that I don't play many online deathmatches these days is the constant stream of vitriol that you'd have to put up with. When you look at even the likes of RPS – which I'd consider one of the more literate gaming sites – the comments on any story that touches on sexism/racism, etc are often quite nasty

And this is something that permeates the industry as well. The likes of booth babes or DNF are just cringeworthingly immature. Again, I'm not characterising all 'gamers' as this but it is certainly a presence in the culture
    However, would you not accept, in a comparable situation, if someone played for a local soccer team, it would seem strange for them to object to being called a footballer because of the implications of football culture?
    Well yes, if I was playing football to an amateur level then 'footballer' is an adequate description. But if I play for a 5-a-side team and watch the big games on TV, as I do, then it's inaccurate, so there is a difference there

A more accurate analogy might be conflating 'football fan' (which I would happily describe myself as) with 'ultra' or even 'hooligan'. That is, I play and enjoy football but don't self-consciously identify with a particular footballing subculture. Now the lines there can obviously be blurred in such a mainstream example but I'm sure you get my point: having a hobby or interest does not demand that you immerse yourself in the associated subculture
    Roughly speaking, of the three home consoles currently sold, there are over 200 million units in homes worldwide. You've got to do some really fuzzy math to guess what that equates to in terms of how many people play games worldwide, but it could be an average of one machine in every 20 households. It's a big demographic, a relatively new one, and it's pretty heterogeneous when you break it down. While it's unfortunate that it can be characterised by its most fervent adherents, it is a gross simplification to consider that subculture to be the whole
    That's a fair point and, while some abstraction is necessary, I really don't want to over-generalise on what is still a very young culture. It is worth stressing that this is all just based on my experiences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

playing video games does, in fact, make you a gamer

you're attaching something cultural to a word that, in its entirety, describes only one thing - whether or not someone plays video games

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

"Leet" gamer arrogance.

I started gaming long before the internet age dawned, long before ultra competitive online MP gaming and achievements. I game because its escapism and it can be immersive. For those reasons, I really hate the kind of fools you regularly meet online who shove their "leet skilz" down your throat. People with 100s even 1000s of hours logged on dozens of games on their steam profile who use expressions like "pwning noobs" without a hint of irony. People who let you know at every opportunity that in this little digital domain that you have entered for your entertainment, they are the top dog. The ones who take gaming as seriously as a death in the family. If you're unlucky enough to friendly fire them, you better turn down your headset while their bile explodes into your ear hole!

The whole thing is just embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

But why group people as gamers? I tend to assume people my age play games in some form. If we're talking people living in developed countries, in particular since the surge in smartphone use, then 'gamers' are possibly a majority rather than a minority, assuming anyone who plays the odd game of Angry Birds or Words With Friends is a part of it.

If that's the case then it probably makes more sense to use the term 'non-gamer', since people tend to be grouped into minorities. And yes I know that would be stupid :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Obviously I'm not suggesting that this language is universal amongst the subculture or is the sole preserve of it (as Magill seems to believe). But – and I stress that this is simply the product of my experience – I do believe that casual homophobic, racist and sexist abuse is depressingly common amongst the 'gaming community'. One reason that I don't play many online deathmatches these days is the constant stream of vitriol that you'd have to put up with. When you look at even the likes of RPS – which I'd consider one of the more literate gaming sites – the comments on any story that touches on sexism/racism, etc are often quite nasty

And this is something that permeates the industry as well. The likes of booth babes or DNF are just cringeworthingly immature. Again, I'm not characterising all 'gamers' as this but it is certainly a presence in the culture

I hear you on the above I really do but, I have meet many wonderful mature, smart, clever people who are gamers and who I am more then happy to have in my life and won't let the above stop me from saying I am a gamer.

In fact the crap you've described is more likely to make me dig in my heels and not let my self be put off or shoved out of gaming culture, I started playing console and pc games over 20 years ago, and yes the last 7 years have been often will with cringy fanboy shíte which imho has gotten worse as games became more mainstream.

There used to be plenty of face to face meet ups, from the old amiga clubs to net cafe gaming nights to lans and people had manners, but with better internet we've had more kids I do mean kids getting online with no mentoring and running amok and saying all the things they shouldn't. No manners what so ever.

But I think you are on the outside looking in and I respect that you want to be and that you don't' like what you see and some of the thinks you think you will be associated with but honestly be the change you want to be.
    Confound people's ignorant expectations of what they expect a gamer to be.

ghostchant wrote: »
    But why group people as gamers? I tend to assume people my age play games in some form. If we're talking people living in developed countries, in particular since the surge in smartphone use, then 'gamers' are possibly a majority rather than a minority, assuming anyone who plays the odd game of Angry Birds or Words With Friends is a part of it.

If that's the case then it probably makes more sense to use the term 'non-gamer', since people tend to be grouped into minorities. And yes I know that would be stupid :pac:

people who play games are called gamers

people who go to the movies are called movie-goers

people who love music are called music lovers

then in gaming there's a distinction drawn between core (or hardcore) gamers and casual (or occasional) gamers

im not sure why people are trying to complicate this by saying that people who play games are not necessarily gamers. that's like saying people who go to football matches arent football fans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Helix wrote: »
    that's like saying people who go to football matches arent football fans

Roy Keane's prawn sandwich brigade comes to mind!

then in gaming there's a distinction drawn between core (or hardcore) gamers and casual (or occasional) gamers

There's your complication. 'Gamers' is shorthand for the former group in reality.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I read. I am a reader.
    I drive. I am a driver.
    I drink. I am a drinker.

Doesn't make me a bookworm, a petrol-head or an alcoholic.

There's your complication. 'Gamers' is shorthand for the former group in reality.

no its not

no its not

'Reality' was perhaps a poorly-chosen word. 'In practice' would maybe have been a better phrase. Incidentally the term 'hardcore gamer' is definitely on my top 10 list.

'Reality' was perhaps a poorly-chosen word. 'In practice' would maybe have been a better phrase. Incidentally the term 'hardcore gamer' is definitely on my top 10 list.

in practice among who exactly? when "hardcore gamers" talk about gamers, they refer to themselves, when nintendo talk about gamers they refer to everyone from 4 year olds to geriatrics playing brain training

This whole debate is stupid, its almost as if being called a gamer is like slapping a big tag on your forehead for some people.. you automatically become part of everything that relates to gaming.. it is what defines who you are as a person. Clearly that isn't the case, being a "gamer" isn't something a person should be ashamed of, it is just a hobby for most people. Some people need to get this sterotype 'gamer' out of their system tho.

in practice among who exactly? when "hardcore gamers" talk about gamers, they refer to themselves, when nintendo talk about gamers they refer to everyone from 4 year olds to geriatrics playing brain training

In practice among people who take the time to write on games forums - 'hardcore gamers' I guess.

As I said before, that's where the complication arises in the ambiguity of the term, such as in the two examples you put forward. If a 'hardcore gamer' calls himself/herself a 'gamer', that's shorthand for 'hardcore gamer'. But who outside of that group is ever going to refer to themselves as such? My grandparents, who dabble with Brain Training?

As it happens, I'm more comfortable with the 'Nintendo' definition of the term :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I think you are either looking askance at the gamer sub-culture and attributing too much to it or else you are ignoring things that go on in other sub-cultures. The likes of booth babes are part of almost every single aspect of society that is male dominated. Car shows, for example, always have scantly clad models draped over the 'merchandise'. As the saying goes, sex sells. This is not the preserve of the video game industry alone. Also, you say you are a football fan so you must have noticed the issues that sub-culture has with racism and homophobia. This is another thing not solely linked to gaming.

Having said all that, I have friends that play board games, minatures games and D&D that would class themselves as 'gamers', even though they may not pick up an Xbox controller from one end of the year to another.

• Advertisement

In practice among people who take the time to write on games forums - 'hardcore gamers' I guess.

As I said before, that's where the complication arises in the ambiguity of the term, such as in the two examples you put forward. If a 'hardcore gamer' calls himself/herself a 'gamer', that's shorthand for 'hardcore gamer'. But who outside of that group is ever going to refer to themselves as such? My grandparents, who dabble with Brain Training?

As it happens, I'm more comfortable with the 'Nintendo' definition of the term :)

theyre all gamers, whether hardcore or casual

they all play games, so they're gamers

there are similar distinctions in everything. you can be a hardcore book reader, or a casual book reader. a hardcore football fan or a casual football fan. a hardcore drinker, or a casual drinker

but in each case everyone falls under the same umberella

Advertisement