Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Things You Hate About Gaming

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'd never class the God of War games within the 'games as art' heading, it's simple brutal fun. For 'Games as art' I'd consider the likes of Okami, or even Limbo

I think the first game was very deliberately aimed in that direction with the riffs on Greek tragedy, and Kratos' fate. Its sequels watered down the premise 'til it became 'simple, brutal fun'.

1st game:

"Here's a man realizing the futility of rage against the inevitable, and misery of pursuing an unobtainable redemption"

3rd game:

"Look, Brad! I made Zeus' eyes bleed."

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've only played a little of the first game (as the collection) and have played through God of War 3 twice. Yes it's simply a third person gore simulator, but damn it, it's fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Oh, and Heavy Rain, which fails as a game, fails as a story, fails as a movie, and especially as a marriage of the three. It's an interesting experience, but deeply, deeply flawed. And I'm sorry, but the sex scene and the tits serve no narrative function, let alone the game. It's profoundly cringe-worthy.

R1, L1, <-
    Bra off!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think one more thing I start to hate - k/d in your face. I really love how tribes ascend just shows your assists kills and score in ladderboards. You don't feel that bad when you see you died more times then killed someone. Makes you forget about competitive crap!
    One of the reasons I was playing less bf3 as I would get really stressed out by k/d when I was doing bad. I tried to get over 1.544 and would get very pissed of the base rape games...
    After tribes I don't even look at my k/d anymore and just play the dm game. Even if I do bad I don't get upset anymore. I even play bf3 way more and experiment with weapons and just use something I like, not something that is good... Anyone m60!? Dadadadadadada! I love that sound :D

I really start to hate games with very competitive attidute. It's like they suck out fun out of it and make not a game...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I think one more thing I start to hate - k/d in your face. I really love how tribes ascend just shows your assists kills and score in ladderboards. You don't feel that bad when you see you died more times then killed someone. Makes you forget about competitive crap!
    One of the reasons I was playing less bf3 as I would get really stressed out by k/d when I was doing bad. I tried to get over 1.544 and would get very pissed of the base rape games...
    After tribes I don't even look at my k/d anymore and just play the dm game. Even if I do bad I don't get upset anymore. I even play bf3 way more and experiment with weapons and just use something I like, not something that is good... Anyone m60!? Dadadadadadada! I love that sound :D

I really start to hate games with very competitive attidute. It's like they suck out fun out of it and make not a game...

I disagree. I don't like that tribes doesn't show your deaths. You can check your owns stats regardless (its one of the first things in check at the end of a match). In the 5 vs 5 game it is important. You may have gotten 10 kills but if you died 20 times, you actually played badly. It is relative. Starcraft 2 also did this by removing how many losses you had. The amount of wins you have is just a random number without the losses beside it.

If you get upset easily by such statistics, I think you have to look at yourself and learn how to let go and enjoy yourself more, which you seem to be doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I never before heard God of War dredged up in a games as art argument, unless it was a straw man against the idea.

Just basing your property's story off mythlogy doesn't make it an attempt to be much more than a button masher, GoW's story was window dressing at best. That logic would mean Clash of the Titans was attempting to win a Best Picture Oscar.

Advertisement