Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Car advice: Fiesta/207/Punto/Clio & Insurance

• 20-03-2012 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi lads,
    Have been reading the threads on here for advice around all the aspects of getting my first car, but still have a few questions.

I'm 28 and just learning to drive now (never needed to before this, so couldn't justify the expense). Got my provisional a few weeks ago and have started my EDT lessons. Planning on picking up a car after I've done a few more lessons so I can get practicing.

Looking at small hatchbacks with 1.2-1.4 litre engines, as I've been quoted €1600ish for insurance on cars of this size/power.
    Just been getting online quotes so far, will ring around them all once I have a specific car in mind. Does €1600 sound reasonable in my situation or should I expect to do better? (That's fully comp with Tesco)

As for the actual car, I'm thinking Fiesta, 207, Grande Punto or Clio but I'm open to suggestions. Budget around €4k. Will mostly be used for city commute, maybe 200km a week. (Longer motorway driving regularly enough too, once I get full license) Reliability would be a big factor for me, would like to pick up something with a long NCT and low-ish mileage.

As I don't know any mechanics to bring to a private sale to properly inspect a car, am I better off buying from a dealer?
    If so, any dealer recommendations? (Dublin)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Lon Dubh

You can get an inspection done via the AA but it is expensive, I think 300 for members and 350 for non-members. I don't know anyone who has used it but I am thinking of using it myself, depending on how much I was spending on the car. Otherwise I cannot help you as I am also a new driver myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Craazysteve

Lon Dubh wrote: »
    You can get an inspection done via the AA but it is expensive, I think 300 for members and 350 for non-members. I don't know anyone who has used it but I am thinking of using it myself, depending on how much I was spending on the car. Otherwise I cannot help you as I am also a new driver myself :)

Cheers, would hope to avoid that extra expense if at all possible, this whole getting a car & insurance lark is an expensive game! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Hi lads,
    Have been reading the threads on here for advice around all the aspects of getting my first car, but still have a few questions.

I'm 28 and just learning to drive now (never needed to before this, so couldn't justify the expense). Got my provisional a few weeks ago and have started my EDT lessons. Planning on picking up a car after I've done a few more lessons so I can get practicing.

Looking at small hatchbacks with 1.2-1.4 litre engines, as I've been quoted €1600ish for insurance on cars of this size/power.
    Just been getting online quotes so far, will ring around them all once I have a specific car in mind. Does €1600 sound reasonable in my situation or should I expect to do better? (That's fully comp with Tesco)

As for the actual car, I'm thinking Fiesta, 207, Grande Punto or Clio but I'm open to suggestions. Budget around €4k. Will mostly be used for city commute, maybe 200km a week. (Longer motorway driving regularly enough too, once I get full license) Reliability would be a big factor for me, would like to pick up something with a long NCT and low-ish mileage.

As I don't know any mechanics to bring to a private sale to properly inspect a car, am I better off buying from a dealer?
    If so, any dealer recommendations? (Dublin)

Something like a Fiesta 1.25 might fit the bill. Plenty around for €4k. I'd steer clear of a €4k Renault Clio anyway, although a Toyota Corolla would be a good buy too. There are some very decent Mechanics on here, as a side point but I wouldn't go down the dealer route if it was you.

€1600 for insurance sounds reasonable, but the only way to find out if it's acceptable is to make a list of companies and ring around and make a comparison sheet.

Another option is to go down the bangernomics route and pick something up with 6 months NCT and drive that until you get the full licence. Means you don't have to worry too much about breaking something off or car park scratches. Then once you have the full licence, sell whatever you have for more or less what you paid and buy something nice with the rest of your budget.:)

Thanks 166man, 1.25 Fiesta seems to be a good option alright, plenty of them about. Do Clios of this age/value have plenty of reliability issues? Should I avoid the french cars altogether? 207 or Citroens look good but I guess they're less reliable in general?
    Available Corollas for the money seem to have very high mileage or are a couple of years older than similar priced rivals.

Considering going the Bangernomics route for a bit alright, friend of mine might be able to sort me out with a P.O.S Fiat Brava for a couple of months for learning in :D. But I'll need something better to sit the test in and actually use.

166man wrote: »
    There are some very decent Mechanics on here, as a side point but I wouldn't go down the dealer route if it was you.

Am I naive so in thinking it's safer to buy from a dealer? I know I'd pay more....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would have no problem buying a petrol Clio, probably the best model Renault do for reliability.

If you're a bit green when it comes to cars, going the dealer route isn't the worst idea. the important thing is going with a reputable garage who is running a distributor warranty, eg. Nissan gold Standard or Toyota Dealer Cover. These warranties can be honoured in any main dealer within the dealer network, and generally cover a lot. the cars also have to pass an examination before being offered for sale and meet other criteria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Thanks 166man, 1.25 Fiesta seems to be a good option alright, plenty of them about. Do Clios of this age/value have plenty of reliability issues? Should I avoid the french cars altogether? 207 or Citroens look good but I guess they're less reliable in general?
    Available Corollas for the money seem to have very high mileage or are a couple of years older than similar priced rivals.

I wouldn't be the person to ask about the Clio reliability to be honest, but as always have heard some horror stories about electrical problems. I mean when you can go for a reliable Japanese car why go for a Clio? Why take that risk? Corolla seems to be fairly popular in Ireland as are the Yaris and prices are reasonably high.

Considering going the Bangernomics route for a bit alright, friend of mine might be able to sort me out with a P.O.S Fiat Brava for a couple of months for learning in :D. But I'll need something better to sit the test in and actually use.

This is where I'd put my money, find someone who knows there way around cars and donedeal and you could pick up a decent 1.0l Nissan Micra in good shape for about €900. Many have long NCT too. I'd run this for a few months until you get the full licence and then sell and buy something nice to drive. Insurance and tax are all lower too.
    Am I naive so in thinking it's safer to buy from a dealer? I know I'd pay more....

It would be safer in terms of getting a warranty.
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    I would have no problem buying a petrol Clio, probably the best model Renault do for reliability.

If you're a bit green when it comes to cars, going the dealer route isn't the worst idea. the important thing is going with a reputable garage who is running a distributor warranty, eg. Nissan gold Standard or Toyota Dealer Cover. These warranties can be honoured in any main dealer within the dealer network, and generally cover a lot. the cars also have to pass an examination before being offered for sale and meet other criteria.

I also wouldn't have much of a problem but if reliability is key then a French car is not where I'd put my money when you could have a Corolla or Fiesta. Dealer mightn't be a bad idea if the OP want's piece of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote: »

Thanks colm_mcm, noted!

bazz26 That's a nice looking Clio alright, bit above my budget though, I'd have to do some serious bargaining there! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Sonz

I'd give the 1.25 Fiesta a +1. I got one myself last year as my first car, it's great for a starter car.

Sonz wrote: »
    I'd give the 1.25 Fiesta a +1. I got one myself last year as my first car, it's great for a starter car.

Good to hear, Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP I'd make sure you can realistically justify owning and running a car very carefully before jumping in. I made the mistake of just assuming I needed a car. Bad idea.

Confab wrote: »
    OP I'd make sure you can realistically justify owning and running a car very carefully before jumping in. I made the mistake of just assuming I needed a car. Bad idea.

Oh I've put some serious consideration into this. Couldn't justify it for years, thus never bothered learning to drive 'til now. But I'm relying far too much on others for lifts, and spending a lot on public transport and Taxis. Of course i'll be spending more on running a car, especially with the high insurance and fuel prices, but I've been saving towards this for a long time.

Plus i've not got long 'til i'm 30, and there's a Brian Howard quote:
    "Anybody seen in a bus over the age of 30 has been a failure in life"

(I think I heard that quoted on QI or similar a few years ago, it stuck with me! :D )

Was home at the weekend, and mentioned these cars to my dad. "Tin boxes, the lot of them" he declared :) As it's my first car, I'll probably drag him along to any viewings. Broadening my search to include Focus/Leon/Golf size cars.
    Sticking to 1.4 max, petrol. Might try and stretch the budget a bit, so between €4k and €5k.
    All recommendations/warnings welcomed!

Advertisement