Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Application for Disability Allowance

Options
  • 20-03-2012 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all, my wife has applied for the disability allowance in November 2011, the reason for her application is that she has Ulcerative Colitis (IBD) (and has had it since 2008) and there in November 2011 she had an 8 hour operation/durgery for the removal of her bowel, so she now has a Colostomy bag (permanent). Our question to you is do you know what chances she has in being approved for the disability allowance as she cannot work due to this and she is also still recovering which the surgeon said that it would take a couple of years to get herself anywhere near she was pre 2008 (before taking Ulcerative Colitis - which is an IBD).

The decision is pending as we ring up every week for answer, and we have been told she should have an answer within the next 2-3 weeks, but we are just wondering if anyone on here has been in the same situation with the condition and applying for the Disability Allowance?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭tony.aspergers

You should allow at least a year before you can expect to receive any news regarding your application, and then expect to go through up to two separate appeals after that!

In the meantime your wife should be able to receive Community Welfare Allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 missyking

I also applied for disability in November of last year and I was told that my application should be processed in a maximum of 17 weeks, so when 17 weeks had passed I contacted them and was told that they were only on Septembers applications and I would be waiting at least another 2 months. I'm struggling financially and relying on some sort of sufficient income and I was told by a friend to contact a local T.D. So I did and less than a week later I received a letter denying my application. So now I'm in the process of appealing it this system is ridiculous and it is so depressing to have to stress over something for this length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭struggling sam

First application took 11 months, 7 months for appeal which was disallowed. Applied again in July 2011 and just last week received letter being awarded DA. Stick with it and be prepared for a wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Applied in October 2011, rang about it last week to be told that they were only getting around to processing Augusts applications . Not very hopeful for my application tbh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

Just keep writing to your TD and get doctor to write to them as well, they cannot do this to disabled people and they should be ashamed of themselves for doing this. Do they give a reason why they are not letting you have the allowance and can you appeal their decision. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement