Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cafe de la Stelle

Options
  • 20-03-2012 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭

I was passing Cafe de la Stelle (or maybe it's called something else) on the bus today and noticed it was closed. There was a sign in the window but I couldn't read it from the bus - does someone know if they're on holiday or how long it will be closed?
    Cheers
    Raz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The notice says it will be closed on the 20/03/2012 but will reopen on 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

I think it's run by a husband and wife - I would imagine they would like a day off after the madness of the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Thanks! They have the BEST coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

and at the best price too!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Find their coffee a bit milky, but, I do like the service!

• Advertisement

ok, you'll have to tell us which coffee you get??? Get ready for the sarcy comments :)

Find their coffee a bit milky, but, I do like the service!

But it's the lattes that are sublime! Each to their own:)

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

Not much better than sitting outside on a sunny morning with a paper plus the smell of fine coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

AJCOT wrote: »
    Not much better than sitting outside on a sunny morning with a paper plus the smell of fine coffee.

Its a great place to sit outside. I cannot sit inside though, the fat/cooking oil in the air there is always so strong it smells real bad and starts to sting my eyes after a few mins. Anyone else notice that or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

Jimjay I gotta agree with you 100%, I love their latte especially when I'm sat outside, but I can't sit inside, the smell is ovepowering.

• Advertisement

Jimjay wrote: »
    Its a great place to sit outside. I cannot sit inside though, the fat/cooking oil in the air there is always so strong it smells real bad and starts to sting my eyes after a few mins. Anyone else notice that or is it just me?

Never noticed it! Probably will next time though now that I heard this! : (

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Never noticed the smell of the oil.
    Inside - when with my family
    Outside with my wife and dogs during the summer
    And a coffee to go when I am just passing by.

First post had me worried though - glad to see they were just shut for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

There is a bit of a greasy smell inside alright, but I've never felt it so over powering that I had to move outside. I like both, I like inside for watching Mr. 'Del Stelle' in action! Brilliant spot, probably my favorite in the town - omelette and courgette is my favorite on the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

been there once....

I'm sorry to say for me its just a greasy spoon kinda place, they smell is dreadful inside.... would never eat here again.

Im actually surprised its still open... the table and chairs they use outside are terrible.... like 2nd hand old function rooms chairs... the decor is poor

IMO its the worst place to eat in Greystones, sorry :rolleyes:

There are far nicer places to eat and get coffee.... just my opinion :pac:

cocker5 wrote: »
    been there once....

I'm sorry to say for me its just a greasy spoon kinda place, they smell is dreadful inside.... would never eat here again.

Im actually surprised its still open... the table and chairs they use outside are terrible.... like 2nd hand old function rooms chairs... the decor is poor

I'd have to say that the 'greasy spoon' aspect is part of the appeal. Simple is good.

Greystones needed something like this, a step away from the norm - which in recent times seems to be paying 6 euro for a sandwich and 3 for a coffee.

Anyway, the coffee is the main draw, the limited food being the bonus.

In fairness to your point, the first time I went there I was dissapointed. Every time since though, I've loved it. So glad for a normal cafe, Costa bleeds you dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Matt Le Tissue

While I give out about the smell, I still love the coffee there and I enjoy the interaction with the owner too. Solution for me is coffee outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I wonder should someone print off the comments here and show them to the owner. I don't frequent the place so it won't be me.

However, I did exactly this some time ago when CL One Chinese opened in C'land. There was/is a boards.ie thread re the food and i thought it would be useful for the owner to see it. So I printed it off and gave it to him. He was extremely appreciative.

I bet you print off the comments and give them to the Cafe de la Stella owner and he will try and change things, things like the smell.

(Smells are a funny thing, one becomes accustomed to them and doesn't notice them. Indeed he may not notice them)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Moobui

cocker5 wrote: »
    been there once....

I completely agree. I was there once too and found it awful. I could forgive the poor decor if the hygiene levels were better. I'm really surprised its still open.

Great to see a balanced argument. For the record, it would be my favourite place for coffee. Food is fine but is only secondary to the reason why I go there. The kids like going to it and the owner is great craic with them which is probably another reason to frequent over another place in Greystones. Makes things so much easier when you have very young kids.

So far I think it is 80/20 in favour on a poll. Open to be proved wrong! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

dont get me wrong Im sure the owner is very nice....

and the location is perfect, BUT IMO the place looks terrible (surely a lick of paint wouldnt cost that much), the chairs / tables look like the belong in a skip, same for the fridges / display area...

anyway my point is the owner (while im sure a great / nice person) could do a little better, clean the place up, invest in new furniture (and i dont mean spend massive money)... get rid of the greasy sppon look and smell and maybe he would have a profitable business thats all... and more customers etc :p

I love to eat and spend money (what little i have) in Greystones, plus we like to spread it i.e. go to all the restuarants and we would love to eat here occasionally... but not in its current state. :cool:

also just wanted to point out to make profit / living from just selling coffee, he would want to be selling huge amounts of it.... if he just upped the standards he could do very well with coffee and food / ice cream, or whatever he wants to sell - IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I'm with astro on this. It's not ideal on first impressions, I know we only went in because we were caught out in heavy rain for our first visit and didn't think much of the decor or furnishings. The kitchen area isn't ideal either.

Now we go in with our daughter and she loves it there. The owner is like a third grandad to her! Primarily we go there for great coffee, eat there the odd time because they're happy to make up a sambo of whatever our daughter wants and she always gets offered a treat afterwards (foc).

Try doing that in some of the chain coffeee houses! €5 for a premade refridgerated sandwich? €3 for a large jammie dodger? €2 for an espresso-sized cup of steamed milk (or babychino)? Feck right off!!! In CdS that tenner gets you a couple of cafe lattes, a freshly made sandwich with a small side salad, the babychino and a pastry!

At the end of the day, he's a local with a business in the town which I'm happy to support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

He's a genuine character, in fairness. He had an Italian restaurant in Newtown a couple of years back that sadly folded due to simply not being advertised and pushed enough. The food was amazing, the location was more or less perfect... only nobody knew it was there! If it had been advertised a bit more heavily, it would have been perfect.

Glad to see that most people like Cafe Del Stelle, because I do think it is a quaint and welcome addition to Greystones.

Advertisement