Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€301 to sit honours maths!

• 20-03-2012 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭

Why the **** is it so expensive when I'm just sitting one exam!? :mad:
    It's actually ridiculous! :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

What?! :eek:

I thought that was bad for six exams!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I'm of the opinion that we should be paid to sit HL maths. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

How is it so much for you guys? Mine is €116 for 7 exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

How is it so much for you guys? Mine is €166 for 7 exams.

All repeats have to pay €301, I've no idea why. I didn't realise that was the fee even if you're only doing one exam though.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

What? I'm paying 116 for all 7 Subjects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Repeats are exactly that. Repeats. They got a go the same as everyone else last year at the cheaper rate. Running the exams costs money. There isn't an endless pot of money to fund free and heavily subsidized education. If you didn't get it the first time around, you will pay for it the second time.

Wait and see what happens if you have to repeat exams/ a year in college.

I'm waiting for the thread that always appears towards the summer 'why are the exams so expensive'. The money you pay for exams wouldn't even cover the correction of your exams. Consider the printing, money paid to people to correct, set exams etc , postage costs, transporting papers and exams all around the country. It cost €1 million to reset the English paper 2 years ago after it leaked on twitter. That was only 1 paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

"Repeats are exactly that. Repeats. They got a go the same as everyone else last year at the cheaper rate."

That seems very blunt and harsh. I dropped down from honours last year and this year I figured I would do honours for more options after my year out. But its not even worth it because I don't need it for what I want to do.
    So the state can kiss my ass!

1ZRed wrote: »
    "Repeats are exactly that. Repeats. They got a go the same as everyone else last year at the cheaper rate."

That seems very blunt and harsh. I dropped down from honours last year and this year I figured I would do honours for more options after my year out. But its not even worth it because I don't need it for what I want to do.
    So the state can kiss my ass!

Well that's your choice, but you don't get unlimited goes at the Leaving Cert at the taxpayers expense, regardless of what your reason is. So suck it up if you want to sit the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

It cost €1 million to reset the English paper 2 years ago after it leaked on twitter. That was only 1 paper.

I thought it was originally leaked here on boards?

I thought it was originally leaked here on boards?

Maybe it was. Someone in the SEC read it on twitter from what I remember of the news reports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

1ZRed wrote: »
    Why the **** is it so expensive when I'm just sitting one exam!? :mad:
    It's actually ridiculous! :mad:

"9.Fees
    In the case of candidates who have taken the Leaving Certificate examination previously, the examination fee is €326.00. A reduced fee of €116.00 applies where entry is in respect of one subject only,"

Source: www.examinations.ie SEC

Why aren't you paying €116 ?

Advertisement