Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H1B/visa extension options on a 12 month J1

Options
  • 20-03-2012 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭

I'm currently on the 12 month J1 in Boston and have been working on a contract basis for the past 2 months.
    The company I'm with have recently asked me to come on in a permanent role but they don't have any experience with the J1 visa and what it entails to take me on full time.

I'm wondering if anyone who has been on a J1 has been through this and what are my next steps?

As a side note, I was hired through a recruiting agency so I'm not sure if that complicates things.

I'm also wondering who should I contact, CIEE or USIT?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Try the Irish Immigration Centre in Boston, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Corrimbla

Ya, I looked into this alot. It's not easy im afraid. Your company would first have to petition you for a H1b visa and this can only be done after April 1st of this year. If everything goes well the earliest you can activate your H1B is October 1st. Your company will have to prove that no american can do your job and you have a skill set that can do the job plus that its related to your degree. The company will also have to cover the legal costs which will be between $4 - $7K. Wish you luck with it as its not an easy process!!

Hopefully this E3 visa is in within a year as it should make things easier if its passed!

Advertisement