Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle UK/US store question

Options
  • 20-03-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Sorry to ask this question again if it has already been answered, but if I get a Kindle off Amazon.co.uk (shipped to the UK and picked up by me) will I be able to buy books in the UK store? I dont have a UK credit card but I can use my mates address.

Can I buy and download kindle books to my PC with a UK IP block in place and then upload them to my kindle? Or is that overcomplicating matters? Does the kindle detect your location wirelessly and feed it back to Amazon?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Does the kindle detect your location wirelessly and feed it back to Amazon?

It does. However, for the more paranoid amongst us, there are ways to use a Kindle completely offline and thus unregistered with and unbeknownst to Amazon.
    Can I buy and download kindle books to my PC with a UK IP block in place and then upload them to my kindle?

That IP block is in place not because they don't like Norway but for legal and licensing reasons and discussions re circumventing these limitations is not encouraged here. ;)

But in general, you can get your books from anywhere and put them onto a Kindle (or any other eReader, for that matter).
    will I be able to buy books in the UK store?

No, you won't be able to buy ebooks in Amazon's UK store. Simply because Amazon is not selling any ebooks (not in the UK nor anywhere else). They're selling very restrictive licenses to read a book. Big difference. If you buy a book you're perfectly entitled to give to a friend, try that with an ebook and you are committing a criminal offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Torqay wrote: »
    They're selling very restrictive licenses to read a book. Big difference. If you buy a book you're perfectly entitled to give to a friend, try that with an ebook and you are committing a criminal offense.

Licencing is all down to the publishers, not Amazon. And what you said is not true, Amazon are rolling out lending functionality on the kindle, but again what you can and can not lend is down to the publishers, not Amazon. They're also rolling out a system in the US where you can actually borrow kindle books from public libraries.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_cn?ie=UTF8&nodeId=200549320

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

What I said is true, unlike a hardcopy, you cannot lend books in electronic form as you see fit. You do not own the book, you have obtained a (very prohibitive) license to read the book. And that's a huge difference.

Of course, this policy is not limited to Amazon but the thread is about shopping at Amazon.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Licencing is all down to the publishers, not Amazon.

What does this have to do with my statement that IPs are blocked for legal and licensing reasons? If the publisher doesn't want a book to be sold in Norway or the rights in Norway are with another publisher, Amazon have to block IPs accordingly, simple as that.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    They're also rolling out a system in the US where you can actually borrow kindle books from public libraries.

You can borrow ebooks from many public libraries in the States for quite some time, it doesn't take Amazon "rolling out a system".

Advertisement