Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a pre owned game console

Options
  • 20-03-2012 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a pre owned DSI, and two games from symths yesterday. One pre owned game, one brand new. The brand new game is fine, but the pre owned game doesn't work the way I know it should, I think it must be a copy, or broken. The DSI in question is in extremely poor condition, dent on the touchscreen, several scratches on the touch screen, scratches all over it, and there's a chunk of it missing on the hinge. Should have looked before I bought, but it was the only pre owned console they had in stock.

I have the recepit, but it says on the back, return policy does not extend to software zone. Where do I stand exactly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Shop policy only applies to change of mind cases, i.e. where the goods are not defective or are exactly as described. If the game doesn't work then you are entitled to have the store replace it or refund the price you paid for it (a repair is probably inappropriate). The same consumer rights apply to used goods as to new goods, there is no difference.

The issue with the DSI could be a little more complicated as I presume it's working ok but has more damage that you expected, especially if you didn't avail of the opportunity to view it before purchase. If the item is as described (i.e. they didn't claim it was as good as new) and it works then it could be difficult to insist on a replacement, repair or refund. If you had no opportunity to inspect then you may have a better chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well there was one box in the shop for a pre owned DSI. I took it to the counter, shop assistant got the box from the back, put it in the bag with the two games, handed it over.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

When you say the game doesnt work as you think it should, how so?

Its a pokemon game, and you should be able to save, turn the game off, then switch it back on and be able to play your save file. Lets you save, turn off, come back on, and the save file is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

cloud493 wrote: »
    Its a pokemon game, and you should be able to save, turn the game off, then switch it back on and be able to play your save file. Lets you save, turn off, come back on, and the save file is gone.
    That sounds like it could be an issue with the console rather than the game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That sounds like it could be an issue with the console rather than the game?

No, save files are usually stored on the cartridge, they are a pain for preowned games because there are button combinations to clear save data from some games and not from others, meaning that some games will ALWAYS have save data on them, basically they can't be wiped.

I would bring the game back, that doesn't sound right at all, as above though, the cosmetic details with the DSi itself are very hard to argue. I'd say that depends more on the manager and your attitude than anything else. But pre-owned consoles are only guaranteed to work, not look good.

I've tried it with my 3DS as well, no joy. Its a fairly common problem with pokemon games(fake ones)

I don't know if it would work with a different game though, one more touch screen heavy. Pokemon is only tapping the screen. Oh, and I've only just realized what the clacking noise is, the battery pack isn't screwed on properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Don't try come up with reasons why you want to return the console (they cam fix the lose screw on the battery pack quite easily, or I could anyway :P), be polite and say you thought it would be in better condition. The game will be no problem.

In regards to the console they are supposed to have their own standards to what they can accept back, it's possible the parent brought the kid up when trading in and it can be quite hard to be the bad guy to a five year old and say no (lots of parents to this with returns as well :P).

On another note we have some really nice clean DSi's where I am so if you really want one get a credit note from them ha!

Yeah I know :P its just in crap condition, I was disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

Totally understandable, try go back to the staff member that sold it too, it's easier as another staff member may have suspicions you're trying to fob back your own rubbish console and keep theirs! :P

As I said, you could get a credit note, or even get your money back and try another Smyths, make sure to bring back any vouchers and the loyalty card.

I think I'd go for a credit note. Smyths in town have a much nicer DSI there. Hopefully they won't mind too much.

They took it back, no bother at all, couldn't have been more helpful :)

Advertisement