Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lucan Village

Options
  • 20-03-2012 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭

I fear that Lucan village has fallen prey to expansionism over the last number of years.
    The village could have so much to offer - get rid of cars and parking at the green outside Kenny's and O'Neills, make that stretch pedestrianised - introduce some outdoor seating and perhaps an outdoor area for dining and having a few pints!
    I had proposed to SDCC to have the village as a one way system - up the chapel hill and down the main road in a clockwise rotation, parking on one side of the street only, one lane for traffic and one lane for cycling.
    Lucan village is beautiful, but it could be more so!
    (I would also kick out the Italian Ambassador and reclaim Sarsfields house and it's lands back for public use).
    A river walk from Lucan right through St' Eds to Palmerstown and Chapelizod.
    It could be a fabulous place to live and rear kids if only we could have access to the natural resources that are there.
    Canoe clubs - rowing clubs, river swimming - cycling.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I don't know Lucan that well, but I was there for about half an hour this afternoon - and the traffic is mental! I got a spot opposite O'Neills, and sat watching things for a while - it's just one giant traffic jam most of the time. It's a really pretty village - I agree that much more could be made of it. Trouble is, it'd be at the expense of the convenience of the residents, and that would never do......

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Great ideas, but probably not affordable for the foreseeable. If only the state would have saved money and / or spent it on projects like these instead of just wasting it :(
    stoneill wrote: »
    reclaim Sarsfields house and it's lands back for public use

Only read recently that the round dining room of Sarsfield house was the inspiration for the Oval Office. Don't know if it's true, but it is quite a claim. Would love to do a guided tour of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Before the current ambassador, the previous tenant would have an open day during the Lucan festival for visitors to view the house and gardens.
    It is a fantastic house to visit - but a shame that it is not open to visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,498 ✭✭✭Heroditas

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I don't know Lucan that well, but I was there for about half an hour this afternoon - and the traffic is mental! I got a spot opposite O'Neills, and sat watching things for a while - it's just one giant traffic jam most of the time. It's a really pretty village - I agree that much more could be made of it. Trouble is, it'd be at the expense of the convenience of the residents, and that would never do......

The reason the traffic is mental is because it's used as a rat run to avoid the toll on the M50.
    I bet if the M50 toll was abolished, the village would be much quieter. There's never much issue with traffic at the weekend or during off-peak hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Before the current ambassador, the previous tenant would have an open day during the Lucan festival for visitors to view the house and gardens.
    It is a fantastic house to visit - but a shame that it is not open to visitors.

I was on a tour of the grounds there a few years ago. We weren't let near the house :rolleyes: but got to see the back of Kenny's/O'Neill's and the Old Swimming pool/Bath House which is nearer to where the Ballalley is.

If I can find the pictures I took, I'll post them up here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

I fear that Lucan village has fallen prey to expansionism over the last number of years.
    The village could have so much to offer - get rid of cars and parking at the green outside Kenny's and O'Neills, make that stretch pedestrianised - introduce some outdoor seating and perhaps an outdoor area for dining and having a few pints!
    I had proposed to SDCC to have the village as a one way system - up the chapel hill and down the main road in a clockwise rotation, parking on one side of the street only, one lane for traffic and one lane for cycling.
    Lucan village is beautiful, but it could be more so!
    (I would also kick out the Italian Ambassador and reclaim Sarsfields house and it's lands back for public use).
    A river walk from Lucan right through St' Eds to Palmerstown and Chapelizod.
    It could be a fabulous place to live and rear kids if only we could have access to the natural resources that are there.
    Canoe clubs - rowing clubs, river swimming - cycling.

All valid points except a one way system would seriously damage the business on the 2 Hills.
    What the village needs to move forward is free parking and lower rents on commercial propertys.
    I don't drive into the village but it effects customer footfall for all as parking is a nightmare.
    The rents that landlords want are far to high, so untill one of these gives then more and more places will close leaving only the Pubs & the Banks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

What the village needs to move forward is free parking and lower rents on commercial propertys.

Free parking would be a disaster, every free spot in Lucan is already used as a park and ride for Dublin and free parking everywhere would just increase this. People need to be discouraged from driving into Lucan, not encouraged.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Free parking would be a disaster, every free spot in Lucan is already used as a park and ride for Dublin and free parking everywhere would just increase this. People need to be discouraged from driving into Lucan, not encouraged.
    In other countries they have a simple system, no meters , instead you get one hours free parking. You leave a note with time of parking or a dial you can turn to the time.

Since the 25A/B don't go near the village a lot of people that live in the Lucan area can't use public transport to go there.

At one end of the bridge there is a roundabout, at the other traffic lights. They have different traffic behaviours, perhaps a roundabout at the other end of the bridge might suit better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

In other countries they have a simple system, no meters , instead you get one hours free parking. You leave a note with time of parking or a dial you can turn to the time.

Yeah the dial / disc system has been around for as long as I can remember. Beautifully simple system

parkeerschijf.jpg

Set it to your arrival time when you leave the car and you have say 1 hours free parking. It's a scheme to benefit all people who want to do some quick local business. The scheme obviously does not work for people who want to park all day or who commute to work leaving their car there

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

I only go into the village to shop and every shopkeeper says the same thing that the lack of parking effects them.
    I feel sorry for the business here because if there was a better parking system more people might go more business would open an more employment would be created in the community. I know it can be a rat race and would love to see a happy medium

• Advertisement
Advertisement