Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approx how much is neutering going to cost.

• 20-03-2012 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I have two female kittens/well almost cats now ... and the days are getting longer and spring has sprung.

So I know the next step is to get them neutered.

There is however a recession on.

So cost is going to be a factor. I am figuring I can afford it at the end of the month .. all going well. But it would sure help if I knew about how much I was going to have to shell out.

Twice :)

I am in Dublin. Do you have to be on the dole to avail of the blue cross?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Hi, when I got my Female kitten spayed it cost €80. The prices ranged from €70 up to €80. The cheapest place I found was €50 but it was kinda a dingy vets so I didn't send her there. It is very expensive to get females done unfortunately. Could you get one done this month then save up and get the other done in a few weeks?

As far as I know you do have to be on social welfare to avail of special discount vouchers so that it's fair to people who aren't working and can't afford it otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Well over this side of the country it varies between €50-€85. Ring around a few vets in advance to ask prices, and ask what it includes. Some might include added things like cone collar and stitches out, others may charge extra for these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Ring around for the best price, and ask for a deal for two. Some vets having started doing specials in conjunction with rescues, so ring around your local rescues as well.
    You say almost cats - how old are they? If they're over 5 months I would beg, borrow or steal the money, otherwise you'll be rehoming kittens soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 magrat

Thanks for all the replies. About what I figured really.... hopefully I can get a vet who will give me a buy one get one half price or something similar !!

We got these girls last september but as far as i know they were about ten weeks old at the time which would put them at about nine months now.... so well old enough :-(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Go to your vet and talk to them, tell them you want both of them done and get a price for both together. When I had my rabbits I went to my vet and got one done for €80 but if i wanted them both done together it was €100. Some vets are really good and understand how much bills pile up.

• Advertisement

magrat wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies. About what I figured really.... hopefully I can get a vet who will give me a buy one get one half price or something similar !!

We got these girls last september but as far as i know they were about ten weeks old at the time which would put them at about nine months now.... so well old enough :-(

Honestly, get them both done ASAP. This is the time of year for the first season, it'll be any day now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

You could also ask your vet if you could pay for one, and maybe a bit, upfront and pay the balance in instalments or at a preagreed date.

It would be wise to get them done asap and it would be easier if they were both done at the same time. Also its cheaper to get them both done otherwise you may be shelling out for extra food, wormers etc for kittens :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 RuggieMuffin

There are other alternatives if you simply cannot afford to spay or neuter your cat. Vet costs differ greatly. It's a pretty standard part of a vet's job but it's not a minor or routine surgery, especially for the girls, so choose the vets carefully, not siply based on price alone.

Blue cross have mobile clinics - if you call them they can answer any qs on what you need to qualify for their care.

SOME animal rescues may be willing to help financially (but remember they are largely volunteer and donations based so don't expect it).

There is some sort of a scheme run where somebody in social welfare benefites can pay €20 and the DSPCA (AFAIK) cover the rest of the cost.

Get them booked in asap, good luck with them.

Really there's no excuse for everybody not to have your cat spayed or neutered unless they are breeding.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

It cost 90 euo at my vets that included post check up and stitches out I think the blue cross have waiting list of a few months long and you would probably be knee deep in kittens by then Id ring around see if you can get a deal as there are two of them

Well I have been phoning around and local prices are around 110 to 120 per cat. Best deal I can get is 10% off as there are two cats together. So instead of 220 I would only have to pay 200 !!

Phoned the Blue Cross - and they are not taking bookings at the moment - only take them 2 months in advance and not taking any till 2nd April. So will have to try them again next monday (reminder in phone!!) - (marked urgent!!)

Also tried the DSPCA - they have a vet clinic attached to them now. Their price is "only" 100 euro and again best deal offered is 10% reduction. So 180 euro !! When I asked them for advice on where to turn to next as its much more than I can afford - and the blue cross as per above - she asked me if I was on welfare - which I am not but my weekly wage is 210 which I told her. And I pointed out that while I was trying to be a responsible pet owner, it was pretty much all of my weekly money.

I must say she was totally unhelpfull, not even willing to offer me advice on where to go next (she didn't even bring up the blue cross - nor did I) just said I had a duty of care to the cats. Which I agree with and am trying to fulfill said duty of care.

But I got zero sympathy or advice or help from them ... she honestly seemed to think it would be reasonable for me to spend 180 of my 210 weekly budget on getting my cats nuetered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Check if there is a reduction for the Medical Card....seriously.....

If you have a Medical Card you may be quids in......

There are other alternatives if you simply cannot afford to spay or neuter your cat. Vet costs differ greatly. It's a pretty standard part of a vet's job but it's not a minor or routine surgery, especially for the girls, so choose the vets carefully, not siply based on price alone.

Blue cross have mobile clinics - if you call them they can answer any qs on what you need to qualify for their care.

SOME animal rescues may be willing to help financially (but remember they are largely volunteer and donations based so don't expect it).

There is some sort of a scheme run where somebody in social welfare benefites can pay €20 and the DSPCA (AFAIK) cover the rest of the cost.

Get them booked in asap, good luck with them.

Really there's no excuse for everybody not to have your cat spayed or neutered unless they are breeding.

The girl in the DSPCA did ask me if I was on welfare - I am not ... so I dont qualify for any assistance at all. Regardless of the fact that my income is low (FAS course income).

See my other post re Blue cross.

My excuse for not haveing my animals neutered is purely down to money costs.

If you have a fuller answer on alternatives i would love to hear it ... honestly I dont know where to turn to next.

Park Royal wrote: »
    Check if there is a reduction for the Medical Card....seriously.....

If you have a Medical Card you may be quids in......

I dont have a medical card yet ... form in and waiting !! Another days story :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Have you explained your situation to your vet and asked if you can pay in installments? Worth a try.

Thankfully I have gotten sorted. Got onto my sister - and she checked with her local vet who had done her cat. And got the two girlies booked in for 110 euro total.

Still a fair amount of money but I can at least afford to do it. Have to travel down to Trim but its doable , and better than having kittens !

I am still shocked at the lack of help and understanding from the DSPCA, I would have always been a supporter of theirs and donated etc. But after today ...

To be fair though the spcas have their hands full with rehoming. If they were to become involved in subsidising neutering it would take a huge portion of scarce resources. The person could have been more encouraging though, usually they know where to find the cheaper vets. Around here there's no help available welfare or not.
    It's also something you factor in when you adopt females. At least it's only a once off. Hope it all goes well.

Advertisement