Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Mount Kenneth

• 20-03-2012 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all I'm new here :)
    I'm planning to move in Mount Kenneth with 4yrs old child :)
    It is 2 Bed Apartment newly redecorated and refurbished. Very beautiful comparing to apt with green carpets :)))
    Could anyone tell me is the area getting better? Any drugs around? Is it safe?
    Thanx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I'm not too sure about drugs but there's often a few dodgy heads hanging around the off license and dominos pizza.

That's just my two cents anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

sheesh, where do i start, how do i put this even... as politely as possible i suppose, lol, but yeah, if it's a question of moving there for financial reasons, the cheaper rent and what not, then you cant really do a whole lot about the unsociable element that hangs around outside the off-license and dominos.

i live across the road from it in steamboat quay and while i've never been bothered by the pyjama party that used hang around the off licence, i have a seven year old myself, but basically i wouldnt think they'll be too bothered to disrupt you either, they're not the intimidatory type, more annoying that they're actually there than any worries that they might try to intimidate you.

i also have a friend who's lived in mount kennet for a long time and he's never had any trouble, but he pretty much keeps himself to himself, and internally at least his one bedroom apartment is structurally sound, so i imagine yours may well be in good nick too.

i can tell you from experience that public perception will blow any issue out of proportion, and while there may have been incidents there in the past that have made the newspapers, i defy anyone on these forums to name an area where there has never been an incident that fell foul of society's perceptions.

pretty much what im saying is- mount kennet is grand, most people keep themselves to themselves and incidents are only far and few between, but when they do happen, it's pretty easy for the local media to blow it out of proportion for the reader to go "ahh, tut tut, regeneration crowd, rabble rabble"... :rolleyes:

you'll be grand, and if you need a hand moving stuff in or setting up tv/broadband, etc, by all means you are welcome to PM me and i'll be only too glad to give you a hand! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 meletele

Yeah the financial is the reason for moving in!
    Have been living in maldron apt for over 3 years, its the safest place ever, sad to move out from here but just cant afford it anymore :(
    Thanx for offering help xsiborg, the tv probably will be the biggest problem if I move in:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

xsiborg wrote: »
    i can tell you from experience that public perception will blow any issue out of proportion, and while there may have been incidents there in the past that have made the newspapers, i defy anyone on these forums to name an area where there has never been an incident that fell foul of society's perceptions.

This x10000000. ;)

I've lived in and around mount kenneth for four of the past five years, so I'm definitely speaking from experience here.
    When I moved in first, there was a good few dodgy heads around the area (same as any city/town/village in Ireland) and I did get in a couple of altercations with a few of the heads. I moved away for a year or so, and then returned, and have been living there now for the past two years, hassle free.
    It's definitely improved an awful lot in the past while, but naturally there is some exceptions from time to time. If I had thought the area was unsafe, I wouldn't have moved in again, I would have found another way around my (then) financial situation.
    As a result of the sh!te that's happened in the past, the area has a very poor rep. A lot of people you'll speak to will tell you the place is a sh!thole, full of knacks, degenerates, scumbags, whores, drug dealers and drug addicts. The reality of the situation is, while that may have been the case years ago (certainly wasn't that bad when I moved there first even) it certainly isn't the case now - anyone who tells you otherwise hasn't been to mount kenneth in a long time. I'm none of those listed above, and neither are anyone on my floor - most people are just looking for a quiet peaceful life, like anywhere.

It's not beautiful, but it's home really. Welcome to the neighbourhood! If you've any questions, ask away. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

go for it, at the end of the day we live in Ireland, its not going to be something out of Syria or anything like that, i would have said steamboat quay would have been the better option in that area but then again you cant beat the prices of mount kennett place really.

I have lived in steamboat quay for the past year so naturally i'll be giving you a biased opinion on the place but there really are thousands of people living in that few block radius and with henry st garda station two blocks down you should be fine! the dock road has to be the most monitored road in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

meletele wrote: »
    Yeah the financial is the reason for moving in!
    Have been living in maldron apt for over 3 years, its the safest place ever, sad to move out from here but just cant afford it anymore :(
    Thanx for offering help xsiborg, the tv probably will be the biggest problem if I move in:)

Metelete,
    I'm sad you have to move. I presume you have already asked the landlord for a rent reduction?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Metelete,
    I'm sad you have to move. I presume you have already asked the landlord for a rent reduction?

I did last year but they wont let down the price, dont want to ask again and make any pressure on them!
    In price includes EVERYTHING, internet, TV, heating, gym, pool, housekeeping..... Tey are the nicest ppl ever, will miss them!

About Mount Kenneth, the apartment which landlord send me pictures and promised it is new....ah hahahahahaha.......wen I went to have a look it was smelly, old, everything broken, so basically completely different on what he send to me!!!!!
    When I asked him what about than "New" apartment, he said...."Yeah, its the same, it was new 5 years ago!!" Ah hahahaha, wel obviously I start laugh at first, what happened after I wont say :mad:
    Completely waste of my time and lies but funny anyways!
    Well also was looking other three apartments in Mount Kenneth, Its not that I didn't like it just its a bit hard for me to move from Hotel apt to Mount Kenneth!
    It is also sad that previous tenants never even bothered to clean apartment even landlord :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

jesus meletele i had assumed you'd seen the apartment already, that's why i figured it might be the same as my friends apartment. clearly not, as you just pointed out, and tbh, i'd send an e-mail to whatever site he's listed the apartment on and let them know that he is misleading potential tenants! :mad:

do you mind my asking how much is your current rent because by the time you added up the cost of all you had there- if you were to move to a "cheaper" apartment, by the time you'd factored in all those other amenities, it'd come to the same price, if not more!

honestly it sounds like where you are, if you can scrape the money together at all, i'd stay there! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

xsiborg wrote: »
    jesus meletele i had assumed you'd seen the apartment already, that's why i figured it might be the same as my friends apartment. clearly not, as you just pointed out, and tbh, i'd send an e-mail to whatever site he's listed the apartment on and let them know that he is misleading potential tenants! :mad:

do you mind my asking how much is your current rent because by the time you added up the cost of all you had there- if you were to move to a "cheaper" apartment, by the time you'd factored in all those other amenities, it'd come to the same price, if not more!

honestly it sounds like where you are, if you can scrape the money together at all, i'd stay there! :(

Would like to know this too! Didn't know there was apartments there. Still can't believe it really as I can't find any info outside of here on them but if meletele could enlighten us that would be great! :)

TheTownie wrote: »
    Would like to know this too! Didn't know there was apartments there. Still can't believe it really as I can't find any info outside of here on them but if meletele could enlighten us that would be great! :)

They NEVER advertise them! I got them true to my friend! But there also were other tenants renting like MR Price Manager etc. I don't know how they get know about this apt but if anyone is interested I can ask :)

• Advertisement

They NEVER advertise them! I got them true to my friend! But there also were other tenants renting like MR Price Manager etc. I don't know how they get know about this apt but if anyone is interested I can ask :)

Aldi side block is for renting usually :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I did last year but they wont let down the price, dont want to ask again and make any pressure on them!
    In price includes EVERYTHING, internet, TV, heating, gym, pool, housekeeping..... Tey are the nicest ppl ever, will miss them!

About Mount Kenneth, the apartment which landlord send me pictures and promised it is new....ah hahahahahaha.......wen I went to have a look it was smelly, old, everything broken, so basically completely different on what he send to me!!!!!
    When I asked him what about than "New" apartment, he said...."Yeah, its the same, it was new 5 years ago!!" Ah hahahaha, wel obviously I start laugh at first, what happened after I wont say :mad:
    Completely waste of my time and lies but funny anyways!
    Well also was looking other three apartments in Mount Kenneth, Its not that I didn't like it just its a bit hard for me to move from Hotel apt to Mount Kenneth!
    It is also sad that previous tenants never even bothered to clean apartment even landlord :(

You seem to have alot of amenities included in the price which is great, and you might find that other places might have cheaper rent but not all bills included. Having free heating is an absolute blessing.

You seem like a very nice person, and I am sure you are a good tenant to have. If you explain the situation to the landlord, that you love living there but you cannot afford it, you might be given a reduction. It is definately worth a try and I know other people in your position that have been given a reduction.

If you post your current rent and your budget, perhaps we could keep an eye out for eomewhere?

FutureGuy wrote: »
    You seem to have alot of amenities included in the price which is great, and you might find that other places might have cheaper rent but not all bills included. Having free heating is an absolute blessing.

You seem like a very nice person, and I am sure you are a good tenant to have. If you explain the situation to the landlord, that you love living there but you cannot afford it, you might be given a reduction. It is definately worth a try and I know other people in your position that have been given a reduction.

If you post your current rent and your budget, perhaps we could keep an eye out for eomewhere?

I know, living there is absolutely fantastic, even the heating is on all the time, never EVER cold! But I have to move out anyways couz child will go to school in city and my self to LIT. And also I do need a second bedroom for child as she is getting bigger :)
    I finally found apartment in Mahon House for 550, in 3 weeks time will move in! Looking for apartment this last 2 months was the worst experience!
    Ur totally right, 550 including all bills will be still the same, well, maybe I will safe some 40 euro:D....for bus tickets:D
    The hardest part now will be paying bills :( and be careful with electricity as I used to not bother in Hotel!

Advertisement