Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Songs you can't listen to because of painful memories ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭CajunOnTour

Bright Eyes - Art Garfunkel :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

I've a loooooong list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Time to say goodbye by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman. My mam wanted it at her funeral and she got her wish. Since then I don't like hearing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

have i told you lately that i love you

alice cooper, poison

prince, the most beautiful girl in the world

manson, personal jesus

all these make me :( for the same reason when i hear them, used to love those songs before though!
    theres probably others tbh, just cant remember now as getting tired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Crystal Castles- Alice Practice

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Bright Eyes - Art Garfunkel :(
    For those who haven't heard of youtube and like sad cartoon rabbits;

Only book that has ever made me cry :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I have a few songs that remind me of painful times but in an odd way, I don't mind hearing them as it makes me remember people that are gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

KKkitty wrote: »
    Time to say goodbye by Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman. My mam wanted it at her funeral and she got her wish. Since then I don't like hearing it.

the day I had to travel home because my mam was about to die, I was on a bus and on the radio was Lady Gagas Pokerface, I was sitting there in tears, and the song seemed so stupid and meaningless, and seemed to go on forever.

and Unchained Melody was the song that mam always wanted at her funeral, and got it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

the day I had to travel home because my mam was about to die, I was on a bus and on the radio was Lady Gagas Pokerface, I was sitting there in tears, and the song seemed so stupid and meaningless, and seemed to go on forever.

and Unchained Melody was the song that mam always wanted at her funeral, and got it too.
    It's so nice that our mams wishes were granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Paud.....

Coldplay - Fix You

Coldplay - The Scientist

:(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Travis - As You Are. Reminds me of my last big relationship break up.
    Art Garfunkel - Bright Eyes. Makes me all teary eyed. Would melt a heart of stone.
    Stina Nordenstam - Little Star - Reminds me of my first serious love and heartbreak.
    Led Zeppelin - That's The Way. Another tear jerker ballad.
    Radiohead - How To Disappear Completely. Their most depressing, melancholy song.
    Belinda Carlisle - Leave a Light On. This might sound like an odd one out of the other 5
    but it's on the list because it was playing all over the radio when my mum died.:(

Stina Nordenstam - Little Star (1994)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Eric Clapton - tears in heaven. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

• Registered Users Posts: 38 john2984

I Got a Feeling - Black Eyed Peas

Paris in November when 09 when we played France in the World Cup play-off. After our best peformance in years (where we should have qualified in normal time) the game goes into extra time. Penalties will do at this stage even though we should be winning. Then comes the infamous handball from Henry. The sense of dejection in the Irish end was palpable. Then, as everyone stares into space or holds their head, the music followed by the words of "I Got a Feelin, Tonight's gona be a good night". Absolute horrible song. I had to walk out of nightclubs when it came on for 6 months afterwards. I'm a Dublin fan too and couldn't even sing it in Croker after we won the All-Ireland this year. Still don't like hearing it but it's not as painful before. Hopefully we can knock France out of the quarter-finals of the Euro's to banish the memory for good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Zelkova

Any song off the Dead Kennedys - Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death.
    Reminds me of when I was sixteen, and probably over playing it, had to take to bed after smoking too many Hungarian cigarettes a school friend had shared out.
    My guts will churn if I listen to it now, just as it did then.
    Loved that album, still do just can't stomach it
    California, über alles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Not any specific song but anything by Luke Kelly. I knew my father liked him so I bought him a best of tape for Christmas 1999. My father then got terribly sick a couple of days before Christmas. When we were all handing presents around my father was sitting around being miserable. What I didn't realise was that he was dying.

He listened to the tape a few days later lying in bed but was too sick to enjoy it so asked my mother to turn it off. He died a few days after that.

I kind of like Luke Kelly myself and have considered playing the tape a few times (I think it's still around somewhere). I don't think I could bring myself to listen to it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Greenday Time of your Life cause it was the song at a friends funeral a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Think this song has been forgotten about. An oldie but it always brings a tear to my eye too. Nat King Cole - Smile. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Not telling. Must suppress emotions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭beltzar

Black Velvet band - someone very close to me passed away with this playing quietly in the background.
    Paddys day was difficult as it was being played everywhere and it was tough with all the lager louts singing/shouting it - I wanted to glass every one of them. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

This here is a haunting rendition of a Beatles song by an extremely talented chanteuse. There's a real feeling of disconsolation from it but also it's really beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Think this song has been forgotten about. An oldie but it always brings a tear to my eye too. Nat King Cole - Smile. :)

very classy, my friends always slag me for my love of the oldies ( deano, bing frankie & such ) but lets me honest, if it ain't broken ye can't fix it...

almost all of their assorted hits draw back memorys like a flood for me...

also ben folds - brick, ironic that when in hospital years ago for the birth of my brother, that song was playing and its about teenages getting an abortion at christmas time; he sells his christmas gifts to pay for it.... now if that doesn't break yer little fragile heart nothin will !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭geeman

F.u.ck all you bitchez - chris de burgh
    bitchez and hoes - dod
    cherry poppin - dod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I used to love "it's a rainy day" until I realised that the song is "it's raining men".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭merlie

That would be:
    A Thousand Miles -Vanessa Carlton
    Father Figure -George Michael
    I don't feel like dancing - Scissor Sisters
    Groove is in the heart - Dee Lite
    Groovy KInd of Love - Phil Collins
    Say You Say Me - Lionel Ritchie
    Yellow - Coldplay
    Superstar - Jamelia
    Boogie Wonderland - Earth Wind & Fire
    Say Say Say - Paul McCartney & Michael Jackson
    Leave a tender moment alone & She's got a way &Tell her about it - Billy Joel
    Sunshine on the Leith - The Proclaimers
    Loving you -Minnie Ripperton
    Ma Cherie Amour and For Once in my Life - Stevie Wonder

The above I cannot bear to listen too as they bring back memories of being with my ex bf whom I loved very much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

Sometime Around Midnight by The Airborne Toxic Event
    More Than a Memory by Garth Brooks

both remind me of someone i loved very much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Forever young - Bob Dylan
    The river - Gareth Brooks.

While they bring back sad memories they also bring happy memories. Listening to them can be tearful with a bit of laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Ordinary people - John Legend

I always zone out when I hear this song!

You are my sunshine - by I've no idea who.
    My Mam used to sing it to my kids all the time, pretty much every day. It's now inscribed on their bench in the cemetary. My daughter sometimes sings it and it makes my heart cry.

Jesus I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes now, feck ya anyway Midnight Queen, the smile song reminded me of it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

You are my sunshine - by I've no idea who.
    My Mam used to sing it to my kids all the time, pretty much every day. It's now inscribed on their bench in the cemetary. My daughter sometimes sings it and it makes me my heart cry.

Jesus I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes now, feck ya anyway Midnight Queen, the smile song reminded me of it :pac:

I didn't think I had one of these until I saw this.... My nana used to sing it to me when I was little. It always makes me think of her - makes me sad, but happy at the same time. Kind of bittersweet, you know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Drinkin in LA - Bran Van 3000.

Was all over the radio during a death in the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Faolchu wrote: »
    Sometime Around Midnight by The Airborne Toxic Event

I actually love that song but at the same time it makes me sad cos the person who introduced me to it, I no longer speak to!

Simon & Garfunkel's Bridge Over Troubled Water is one I can't listen to without feeling very sad!

Ian Brown's F.E.A.R. is another that I just can't let play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

kfallon wrote: »
    I actually love that song but at the same time it makes me sad cos the person who introduced me to it, I no longer speak to!
    love it too, there's times where I'll play it 10 times back to back, its a brilliant piece of work and it more or less tells the story of me and the person it reminds me of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Bette Davis eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

• Leaving New York by REM as my husband and I were in Lisbon having earlier found out that I was pregnant and I found out that I had miscarried.
    • Any of the songs played at one of my friend's funeral.
    • Wake me up when September ends by Green Day as my mother got ill in the middle of September and some other reasons too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Captain Graphite

Lykke Li's Sadness is a Blessing is the only song that has ever made me cry. I listened to it on a bus from Dublin to Cork when I was in a really depressed state of mind and the lyrics in the verses set me off. I had to try and cover my face so people wouldn't notice me crying. I do still listen to it (because it's too great a song to stop listening to altogether) but it always makes me feel a little uneasy now.

Elton John's Your Song was 'the greatest love song ever written' according to my ex. I never liked Elton John anyway but now I can't hear that song without starting to feel really lonely.

On the subject of funeral songs, my Nan always wanted My Forever Friend by Charlie Landsborough. And she got it. I know a few people in my family can't bear to ever hear it again 'cause it makes them miss her so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Your the best around -Joe esponita.
    Reminds me of a time in my youth some old chinese man called mr miagi made me paint his fence and clean his house. He then made me fight these guys I was really scared of. I broke my leg at one stage and he tricked me into thinking it was fixed by his special powers and made me fight on.
    Lets just say I needed a few metal plates after that episode .

Faolchu wrote: »
    love it too, there's times where I'll play it 10 times back to back, its a brilliant piece of work and it more or less tells the story of me and the person it reminds me of.

I have often done the same, it's the tune rather than the words tbh, it starts off kinda slow but the tempo builds up and up!

It's actually a song I listen to quite a bit for inspiration, before playing football etc to get pumped up! But I can't listen to it without thinking of a very special person who I believe could have been one of my best friends for life if things turned out differently!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

"You'll Never Walk Alone".

It has been played at a number of funerals of male friends. All of whom died way before their time :(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Westlife - Flying without wings

Watched my best friends mother sing that to her as she lay in her coffin being waked in her house after she commited suicide :(

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭leviathon

Foo Fighters - Best Of You

Because someone was getting the best of her... and I found out.

MrsD007 wrote: »
    "You'll Never Walk Alone".

It has been played at a number of funerals of male friends. All of whom died way before their time :(:(:(

Being a Liverpool and Celtic fan I love this song, I used to listen to it first thing every morn for a couple of years in school! I am now singing it in my head and prob will be for the rest of the day!

Always associate it with good times, gutted that it brings back bad memories for some *hugs MrsD007* :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Being a Liverpool and Celtic fan I love this song, I used to listen to it first thing every morn for a couple of years in school! I am now singing it in my head and prob will be for the rest of the day!

Always associate it with good times, gutted that it brings back bad memories for some *hugs MrsD007* :(
    Thanks very much Kfallon :) I'm not in to football but I always liked that song because of the words and sentiment.

It holds awful sad memories for me now but it is still a great song :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Theres a song from mario kart.

I used to play it all the time with my Ex.
    Now when I hear it I just get an immensley akward feeling. Everytime, without fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Same, the Sarah Brightman version, was played at my aunts funeral who died from breast cancer, was the saddest thing ever to hear at a funeral, gives me a :( now

Also this one

My grandmother used to sing it constantly, it's kind of a sad and a happy memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

This song means nothing personally. I've never heard it played at a funeral, or listened to it during a tragic event.

It just makes me think about life. Who we are, what we fight for, where we're going.

Nothing in life is important when you're near your end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

Where we belong by Lost Prophets. Don't even like the stupid song, but it really brings back memories of someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Jack Johnson's 'Upside Down'.

Nothing against Jack, but it was almost certainly the most played song on radio/pubs/shops at the time of my uncle's early death of a heart attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Ian Brown's F.E.A.R. is another that I just can't let play

Come on man, it's time to forget everything and remember!

• Advertisement
Advertisement