Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

minnows

Options
  • 20-03-2012 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

a friend of mine gave me some old lane and devon minnows,a couple of them have a half moon shape bit of plastic about ten inches up the line from the front of the minnow,does anybody know what its for?
    SAM_1707.jpg
    SAM_1706.jpg
    SAM_1704.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

I could be wrong here but I think the peice of plastic in the shape of a semi circle is to prevent the minnow twisting your main line, it could hold in the water forcing the swivel to twist as opposed to spinning with the lure.

I've used minnows and tandem spinners with a snap swivel and another swivel two foot from the lure and they distroyed my line. I've never had this problem with other spinning lures but minnows and tandem spinners do put more strain on fishing lines

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭hunterpajero

so its like an anti kink for the line?ya often had that problem with devons wravelling line

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

yeah thats what it for i reckon too, i use minnows but use 2 barrell swivels about 4 ft from the minnow, works fine, well done on gettin your hands on old lane minnows!! cant get them anywhere any more, the new ones are rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

They are anti kink vanes to stop your line twisting. For lures that rotate at high speeds like the devons a swivel is sometimes not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 pipsdad

Tin79 is spot on, 100% correct, we use them all the time in Scotland

• Advertisement
Advertisement