Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Black Forest Cake.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

It's just a cherry liqueur so I'd imagine any off license or supermarket would have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Thanks. Have you tried this with the biscuit base?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

I have tried unsuccessfully to find kirsch to make black forest brownies so if you find it can you let me know where.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Celtic whiskey shop (dotcom) on dawson st do it if you really want it...

Remember looking for it too, found it eventually but i think I just stumbled upon it in an independent off licence.

I think someone mentioned in a different BFG thread here on boards that you could get better quality cherries in polish shops too...theres loads of other recepies and tips on that thread too just to confuse things...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I couldn't get Kirsch here although I didn't have access to the shops in Dublin at the time, ended up getting a cherry liquor ish thing which wasn't very nice. But got myself a bottle of proper Kirsch on a trip to Germany..was going to make a really nice black forest but the sponge went wrong so next time going to try to make a regular chocolate sponge and start from there.

Just hope the Kirsch is still ok it's been opened but a year old now I take it it won't go off being alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I've a friend travelling to Germany in May. I may ask her to pick up a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mewa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

namurt wrote: »
    I have tried unsuccessfully to find kirsch to make black forest brownies so if you find it can you let me know where.

Thanks.
    Oh can I have the recipe for that ?
    I got my kirsch in the Celtic whiskey shop

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Not sure I can justify spending €37 for the sake of a tablespoon of kirsch :eek:. Especially since I just re-read the recipe and realised it doesn't actually go into the brownies...oops. Anyway, here's the recipe, you can try it out and tell me it's horrible so I won't be tempted to make them :D

115g butter
    85g plain flour
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    55g cocoa powder
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    175g caster sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 tsp almond extract
    140g pitted dark cherries, quartered
    Chocolate curls and whole fresh cherries, to decorate

For the Cherry Cream
    150ml double cream
    1 tbsp kirsch liqueur

Preheat oven to 180C. Grease shallow 28x18cm rectangular tin. Sift together flour and baking powder. Place butter in large saucepan over medium heat and stir until melted. Remove from heat and add cocoa, stirring until smooth. Beat in eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and almond extract. Fold in flour mixture and cherries and pour into tin.
    Bake in preheated oven for 25-30 mins, or until just firm to touch. Cool slightly, then cut into squares and remove from tin.
    To make cherry cream, place cream and kirsch in a bowl and whip together. Spoon a little onto each brownie, then decorate with chocolate curls and serve with fresh cherries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Sounds yum ( I'm mean horrible !!)
    I'd stick a glug of the kirsch in with the brownie batter too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 harrismargaret

I have tried the same cake with graham cracker base. It was ok, but I think the base given in the recipe will taste better.

Advertisement