Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby won't stop crying.....help!

Options
  • 20-03-2012 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

My 9 month old boy has a cold plus think he is teething. He is crying pretty much all day long the last few days and he used to be so happy! I do everything needed, change him, feed him, burp him etc. I walk around with him but makes no difference. I went to doctor 2 nights ago and he said he was ok probably just teething. But this is driving me mad as well as my son. I wish I knew how to help him.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

Have you given him any painkillers? I know my daughter gets like that when she's teething or has a bad cold or unfortunately both together. My attitude is I'd take a paracetamol so I'm giving it to her. Only other thing I've found works is fresh air. A good long walk always makes her feel better. I hope something helps, I know how hard it is when you can't comfort them.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

Have you given him any painkillers? I know my daughter gets like that when she's teething or has a bad cold or unfortunately both together. My attitude is I'd take a paracetamol so I'm giving it to her. Only other thing I've found works is fresh air. A good long walk always makes her feel better. I hope something helps, I know how hard it is when you can't comfort them.
    Yeah I have given him calpol doesn't make much difference. I can take him out during the day but then evening time when trying to settle him for bed or even get our own dinner is tougher

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Winne if he's that distressed I'd alternate between calpol and baby nurofen. I'm very reluctant to give calpol etc but at times like this they need it. Also I got an amber teething necklace for my son and I swear by it. Since we got it we very rarely have those days/nights when we have to medicate (just when he's cutting a tooth) and he's gotten all his 6 teeth while wearing it. I got mine on sosteething.com

Oh yeah and I found out at the weekend that ice cream helps ;) the hb vanilla ice-cream is just milk and sugar but again if it helps then a little every now and then is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I know 8 months is young but I admit on bad teething nights I have given bongela, calpol and neurophen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jingler

I've had the same over the past few days, Winnie. My child is the same age as yours and was the happiest little thing until recently. I am putting it down to teething. She's been fussy at mealtimes as well. I have an amber necklace on her since 4mths but gave a neurofen baby suppository tonight. It is very distressing to hear her cry. A big chunk of cold melon from fridge into one of those Nuby nibblers is a great help. I gave her a bath this afternoon just to distract her because she loves the bath. Calmed her down and she had a nice splash about.

Thanks for suggestions everyone. We have tried calpol and baby nurofen too. I think I'm just bit confused as he has his two bottom teeth already and had no problem getting those ones.

My son got his two front teeth and his eye teeth at the same time and he was miserable for a few days including his 1st birthday :( I think the eye teeth are hard on them as are the molars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Every tooth is different.. with my 2nd girl every time she got a tooth she got tonsillitis.. she was on 12 antibiotics in 15 months.. she got scarlet fever too when she was 3 getting her back teeth.. no problem with her first 2 teeth.. my 3rd boy had no problem til just before christmas getting 2 back teeth .. he got such a sore bum literally in between nappy changes, he was a bit runny so it was about an hour or less..:o

Not too many problems with my first girl.. sore bums and the usual red cheeks, but nothing that nurofen wouldn't sort. The baby on the other hand is waking every night about every hour since he started solids ... last night just to rule out teething (again) i gave him nurofen.. he slept.. all night :D i tried it one other time about a month ago but it wasn't teeth.. the relief..sleep:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kynasmith

I think again you should go to the doctor as it is the matter of child’s health. You have to explain your problem and worry to him.

• Advertisement

Baby on the mend now, nearly back to himself........for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Winne if he's that distressed I'd alternate between calpol and baby nurofen. I'm very reluctant to give calpol etc but at times like this they need it. Also I got an amber teething necklace for my son and I swear by it. Since we got it we very rarely have those days/nights when we have to medicate (just when he's cutting a tooth) and he's gotten all his 6 teeth while wearing it. I got mine on sosteething.com
    ditto to all of the above. bonjela on a teething soother as well is very good and those gel teething rings that you can put in the fridge.

if you can't get them to take the baby nurofen and calpol orally, you can get both in suppository form, or you can try one of those medicine soothers, but ours soon caught on to that one and we're back to the suppositories when we need to.

teetha is another great one. no idea how it works given that it's supposed to be homeopathic and they are (quite literally) full of nothing but despite my scepticism, it does wonders. :)

i also have no idea how the amber necklaces work, but from what i've read, it's more science based and they do definitely help quite a bit, you just have to watch for drool collecting in them and causing a neck rash, which is where the bandana bibs come in very handy as well. :)

we got most of our stuff from amazon before we needed it as we were expecting to have teething trouble (and we did).

Advertisement