Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Help

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

There is no such thing as a more powerful router. Changing router will make zero difference to your internet speeds. First thing I'd do is try changing channel on the Netopia, if your neighbours wifi is on the same or nearby channel they will interfere.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mirror Image

Followed an online tutorial and it looks like I am the only person in the locality that I could find. Apparentally no-one near by has wifi.

Followed an online tutorial and it looks like I am the only person in the locality that I could find. Apparentally no-one near by has wifi.

Not all devices are visible, baby monitors, cow shed cameras and video senders all use the same frequencies and don't conform to standard wifi channels and will not show up. Did you try changing channel?

Changed my channel but no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭cork_buoy

What are your results on speedtest.net and pingtest.net like?

• Advertisement

1848322221.png
    59402257.png

Plug in by cable, disable wireless and test again

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a more powerful router. Changing router will make zero difference to your internet speeds. First thing I'd do is try changing channel on the Netopia, if your neighbours wifi is on the same or nearby channel they will interfere.

In his case if the problem is signal strength/ or interference a different router could improve his network performance significantly. An 802.11n router with a 5ghz radio could do just the trick if his hardware supports it. Of course it might be his ISP.

cork_buoy wrote: »
    In his case if the problem is signal strength/ or interference a different router could improve his network performance significantly. An 802.11n router with a 5ghz radio could do just the trick if his hardware supports it. Of course it might be his ISP.

5Ghz has half the distance and penetration than 2.4Ghz.

An "n" wireless router will not improve speeds to the internet, it allows faster local network device to device transfer speeds. Every single device needs to be "n" or the network will fall back to "g" speeds. There is also no way a dsl connection is maxing a "g" router, therefore it would be pointless to upgrade to "n", it will not fix the issue.

I've a feeling it's not a wireless problem, but more a poor broadband connection. The way to prove that is by plugging in by ethernet to see if the problem still exists (eliminate wireless as the problem). The next step after that is seeing what the line stats are line, they're in expert mode under dsl statistics, post them here.

5Ghz has half the distance and penetration than 2.4Ghz.

Irrelevant. The issue being discussed here is interference around 2.4Ghz.
    An "n" wireless router will not improve speeds to the internet, it allows faster local network device to device transfer speeds.

You're missing the point. The local network is where the interference is an issue... not on the WAN. It is the link between the client and the wireless router where the problem may exist (if it is interference). If there is enough interference then it's very possible that the link speed on the local network is reduced to levels even below that of the WAN link speed. I also pointed out that the issue might not be the wireless link at all - it may be the ISP.
    Every single device needs to be "n" or the network will fall back to "g" speeds. There is also no way a dsl connection is maxing a "g" router, therefore it would be pointless to upgrade to "n", it will not fix the issue.

A dual band wireless router can transmit both 2.4GHz and 5GHz simultaneously. As I mentioned in my previous post - this potential solution depends on hardware compatibility. By the way - dsl speeds can exceed 'g' speed if the 'g' link through put is reduced due to interference, signal strength etc. I have seen it with my own eyes on many occasions. What you are saying simply is not true.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You're missing the point. The local network is where the interference is an issue... not on the WAN. It is the link between the client and the wireless router where the problem may exist (if it is interference). If there is enough interference then it's very possible that the link speed on the local network is reduced to levels even below that of the WAN link speed. I also pointed out that the issue might not be the wireless link at all - it may be the ISP.

A dual band wireless router can transmit both 2.4GHz and 5GHz simultaneously. As I mentioned in my previous post - this potential solution depends on hardware compatibility. By the way - dsl speeds can exceed 'g' speed if the 'g' link through put is reduced due to interference, signal strength etc. I have seen it with my own eyes on many occasions. What you are saying simply is not true.

You are jumping to all sorts of conclusions without any evidence. Who is discussing "interference around 2.4Ghz" for example?

We have no idea yet how the wireless speeds which the op is getting compare with his ethernet speeds. We dont know the line stats.

When we know those then we can begin to try and find where the real problem is.

When did we establish that? They have already changed channel and it made no difference, suggesting it may not be a wireless issue. Deal with the facts presented, don't just make assumptions. Proposing they buy a new dual band "n" wireless router at this stage is just wrong, it most likely would not make a difference, except in their pocket.

@OP, did you try the speedtest over ethernet? We could also do with your line stats to see the state of your connection.

Advertisement