Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Higher - Q4 and Q5

• 20-03-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8

I get grinds in Maths and your man was showing me Q4 and Q5 and how to do them. I never did them in class in school and it seems like no one really else does either. I heard that over 90% of the country who did higher maths (don't know about ordinary) ignored Q4 last year. But, I'm actually finding them both quite manageable. Although the proof by induction does look rather tricky.

Why do some many teachers ignore them? Does anyone else here do them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

RyanCCFC wrote: »
    I get grinds in Maths and your man was showing me Q4 and Q5 and how to do them. I never did them in class in school and it seems like no one really else does either. I heard that over 90% of the country who did higher maths (don't know about ordinary) ignored Q4 last year. But, I'm actually finding them both quite manageable. Although the proof by induction does look rather tricky.

We covered 7 of the 8 questions. Q4 being one of those, I find them extremely easy compared to other questions, it's probably the easiest question on the paper. We didn't do proof by induction though. I would be very disappointed if I didn't get full marks in Q4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Id do it so you have a choice on the paper. Went into Mocks without seeing anything from Q4 in a long time, hadnt a clue how to start it but i recognised the questions, didnt attempt it, failed Q7 and 8 bringing me down to a C3 (still highest in class) . Long story short, i kicked myself for not revising the question and im sure if a do-able question comes up and 2 of the other questions are difficult, you will kick yourself so hard.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 RyanCCFC

We covered 7 of the 8 questions. Q4 being one of those, I find them extremely easy compared to other questions, it's probably the easiest question on the paper. We didn't do proof by induction though. I would be very disappointed if I didn't get full marks in Q4.
    Have to agree on Q4. Some of it can be ridiculously easy, especially compared to the rest of the paper. I'm aiming to have it as one of my six questions. Always seem to be one or two very nasty questions in every paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭checkcheek

I think im gonna go in have all 8 questions prepared, but 6 really well, cause they know that loads of people dont do questions 4 and 5 so there starting to throw bit and pieces into other questions , like question 3 2009 had some integration!!! So i think be prepared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Definetly prepare Q4 & 5! They're great! Question 5 I find is one fo the easiest if you get the hang of the induction! And, by my thoughts this year, I'm half expecting us to get either proof of Differential rule/ de moivre's theorem by induction so it'll be even easier as it is "standard work". Question 4 is easy to get 40 marks out of the 50 but often the last 10 marks are quite difficult. Practise Practise etc is all thats needed for them! I'd so rather do Q 4/5 than Q8 as you're more likely to get more marks on 4/5 than you would if you got an absolutely awful integration question!!! We'll probably have a horrible paper `1 by the way, they'll be a bit leniant on paper 2 seeing as we are the "first" (other than the pilot schools)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

ChemHickey wrote: »
    ...We'll probably have a horrible paper `1 by the way, they'll be a bit leniant on paper 2 seeing as we are the "first" (other than the pilot schools)

But, Paper I was horrible last year... Will they not give us two nice papers this year to make up for how awful last year was?? :o

*Crosses fingers*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

will they really do an awful paper 1 after last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

@Patchy SNAP!! :P

Patchy~ wrote: »
    will they really do an awful paper 1 after last year?
    I keep hearing that they'll have to give us a 'nice' paper one. They will get crucified if they put out two horrendous papers ones in a row. Imagine getting a demoralising Paper 1 and then having to step into Project Maths not knowing what to expect! My heart goes out to those who did PM last year after that Paper 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I keep hearing that they'll have to give us a 'nice' paper one. They will get crucified if they put out two horrendous papers ones in a row. Imagine getting a demoralising Paper 1 and then having to step into Project Maths not knowing what to expect! My heart goes out to those who did PM last year after that Paper 1.
    I think the people who did PM last year did a PM paper 1 though? But good point, theyd be shot for it! :pac:

Does anyone else think they might ask the disk in integration again since it wouldve been answered so badly last year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

I think the people who did PM last year did a PM paper 1 though? But good point, theyd be shot for it! :pac:

Does anyone else think they might ask the disk in integration again since it wouldve been answered so badly last year?

My teacher says they might because they've done so before but I reckon it'll be area since it didn't show up on the paper last year

Did they? My mistake so! Well that's what they usually do isn't it? If a question was so badly answered they ask it again the following year. But, with paper one changing next year I'm not sure. I've heard integration is going next year, anyone know if this is true? If so then it could swing either way. They could make it a very nasty question to show everyone why they took it off, or give a nicer question just to avoid people doing terrible in it once again.

I'll be doing the disk question the night before the exam just in case! :)

Advertisement