Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grow hedging through a Balustrade wall?

Options
  • 20-03-2012 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Hey!

A bit of an odd question. Our front wall is an old fashioned Balustrade wall something like the below pic. Its not to our taste, is too low and offers no privacy or security. We also don't want to clean, paint and maintain it!

So from my research Laurel hedging offers a good quick growing, frost resistant hedge that can be boxed off at a desirable height. So before I commit to this, I'd appreciate any thoughts on how laurel might grow through the Balustrade wall? Ideally I'd like it to weave its way through and evenutally swallow it whole!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRRjoakzeYP0GXZnJ1Mb1z4wABvpa79YwZ_nVKHdiLjnzJc3dGqtw

I have considered removing every second baluster (ie he mini upright pillars) with an angle grinder. But obviously that would be a painful job and the wall would look terrible until the hedge grew to hide it....... Do you think I'd need to though?

Joe

Advertisement