Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass verge - Help!

Options
  • 20-03-2012 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Well, more accurately I have a 3-4 foot wide mud slick outside the length of my front wall.

- Was wondering whats the best, quickest and most cost-effective way to get it looking respectable?

First problem as I see it is keeping cars off it, as any work put into it is wiped out as soon as the first truck, tractor etc. decides to pull in and churn it up. I do have a pile of miscellaneous rock from a foundation that was dug out and had thought about trying to lay it out in some sort of attractive way? But can't imagine it looking great :(

Can I plant a hedge outside (ie. road side) of this wall - I think technically the council owns this land? Would it ever be a problem I wonder assuming it wasn't allowed to grow onto the roadway? If this was an option what would be a good choice?

- Also if all else fails and I end up ordering gravel, how do I keep it in one spot and avoid it just getting scattered on road and once again keeping cars off it etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Anyone?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Check with your local county council, you may be able to get permission to plant on the roadside side of your wall. I am sure the planning department would be able to advise. There could be the usual kind of council restrictions such as height etc.

If you could plant a hedge, Common Laurel, Prunus laurocerasus rotundifolia would be a good choice.

It makes an effective noise barrier and is also roadside pollution tolerant.

If you can try and improve the drainage when preparing the soil to plant it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

These two threads might interest you.

Grass margin out side my property - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056305274

"Decorative stones" outside house to deter parking on grass - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055491982

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thanks Folks!

- I've been paying attention on our roads (since I mean) and the sensible option seems to be the plain white sticks with reflectors attached......

Making my own with left over timber etc.

Appreciate the help!!!!

P.S. Muckyhands is a cool name - Love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Make them as light as possible.
    Remember any obstacle you place on the verge outside your house is your responsibility and you'd be liable for any damage they cause to a vehicle which would pull in and hit one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

bbam wrote: »
    Make them as light as possible.
    Remember any obstacle you place on the verge outside your house is your responsibility and you'd be liable for any damage they cause to a vehicle which would pull in and hit one.

Is this true? So if you built a wall and somebody hit it your responsible even tho its not on the road, not that im building a wall but I do have 6inch cut offs from old esb poles, if I didn't the place would be a mess! Oh and I own the verge.

If you build a wall you will need planning permission which will detail how far back from the roadside you must build, if you build it closer than that then yes you would be liable if someone hits it.
    Ridiculous as it is the verge is there in planning to allow drivers pull in if there is an emergency. If you obstruct this space it is your liability if an accident occurs as a result.
    It's a pain in the ass but planning calls for it to be graded and tacmacadam surface. We cleared ours and stoned it with 3/4" down and rolled it so the stone stays put, keep it sprayed clear of weeds and grass.

And while you own the verge the council dictate what happens to it, including claiming it if they were to widen the road in the future.
    Actually lots of site folio maps will show ownership to the centre of the roadway, alas this doesn't mean you can lay your cut poles out that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Raiser wrote: »
    Thanks Folks!

- I've been paying attention on our roads (since I mean) and the sensible option seems to be the plain white sticks with reflectors attached......

Making my own with left over timber etc.

Appreciate the help!!!!

P.S. Muckyhands is a cool name - Love it!

Cheers. :D

Advertisement