Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clothes for Running

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,560 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

In my book, doesn't matter a ****e what clothes you wear (within reason, obviously), but you definitely should go to a shop that does gait analysis and get a pair of runners to suit your running style. Spend money on the runners, and cobble the rest together. Elverys, Runways, AmphibianKing (hope I've got that right, don't actually know the shop but they come highly recommended) will see you right.

What you spend on the right runners you'll save on physio bills!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

For running it's best to get your gait analysed to choose the best runners for you. I'm sure someone can recommend where to get it done.

As for what you wear, it depends on what you're most comfortable in. Nothing too heavy or nothing that will get in the way. Thermals are not necessary.

I can move this to the athletics forum if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

Cant recommend any gear but you should try this site: http://www.mandmdirect.com/default.aspx?a=resetsearch
    my bro uses it all the time and the prices are unbeatable, they are reliable and quick to deliver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking of just plain cotton leggings, long loose tops and light hoodies.

Out of curiosity why do I need gait analysis? And what is it exactly?

Depending on what way your foot strikes the ground as you run, you can get runners that give appropriate support. Helps prevent injuries.

Well worth doing.

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Depending on what way your foot strikes the ground as you run, you can get runners that give appropriate support. Helps prevent injuries.

Well worth doing.

Thanks so much Heidi, I'll look into that.

Does it cost much to get done?

No, shouldn't cost anything. I got it done for free in Runways in Parnell Street when I first bought runners. I bought the runners there (felt it was expected). Next time I went in, though, the staff were very offhand, and ignored me long enough for me to walk back out the door and not bother. At that stage I knew enough about my gait to be confident enough to buy runners online. Once you get it done and know what runners suit you, you can shop around for the best price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

If i was in your situation i would go out and start running for maybe a month in some decent runners you own , before starting to shell out for new runners etc if you get through this month and you enjoy running then consider what new gear might help you.

You dont need thermals this time of the year etc, you will find when running you will warm quite fast and its alot more uncomfortable being too hot than slightly cold.

Dont shell out on gear when you first start a hobby, get into it for a little while and you will quite naturally know what gear you should get next to help you develop.

usually i just wear shorts and a t shirt running and thats fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I just wear gym gear that I've always had anyway. Usually some kinda running leggins and a t-shirt. And make sure to get a sports bra...very important!

I have a pair of Asics that I got in the kids section in Elvery's for €20 that I use for running :o They are perfect though! So comfy.

Thanks for the help and replies guys.

I have these runners and they are the only ones I have. I can walk in them for about 10minutes before wanting to get them off. They are heavy and hard to walk in, so I'd never manage to run in them.

http://www.champion.ie/resource.php?type=image&section=shop&name=315161108.jpg&size=zoom

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69620677&postcount=3500

I need to lose weight so I am taking up running regardless of whether I like it or not I am going to stick with it until I lose the weight I need and want to lose.

• Advertisement

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I just wear gym gear that I've always had anyway. Usually some kinda running leggins and a t-shirt. And make sure to get a sports bra...very important!

I have a pair of Asics that I got in the kids section in Elvery's for €20 that I use for running :o They are perfect though! So comfy.
    Thanks Lia,

Is there any particular sports bra that I need or would any do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

All you need is a good sports bra and a pair of decent runners, I find Brooks the best as i overpronate slightly but depends on result of your own gait analysis. Any old pair of leggings and t shirt will complete the look ;-))

If you are new to running check out the Couch to 5k training programme. It's ace!

Amphibian king in Bray are meant to be one of the best running shops and for doing gait analysis. Haven't used them myself as located other side of the country but as a regular user of Health and Fitness forum I constantly see them recommended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Nike Dri-fit leggings are really good for running, I have the 3/4 length ones. Normal leggings really aren't stretchy enough and if it rains, they soak up water which isn't good.

Also, wearing tighter fitting tops, instead of loose ones. Loose ones get in the way of your arms and are annoying when you run. All the sports shops would have suitable tops, but you can wear a normal tshirt as long as its not really baggy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Don't wear cotton. Especially cotton socks. It keeps all the moisture/sweat and is s a surefire way to be uncomfortable and get blisters.
    I suggest reading here and ask these guys. You'll get more correct information than you might get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

FYI, if you are getting a gait analysis done it's usually free but only on the basis that you actually buy a pair of runners afterwards. If you don't, you'll usually be charged €10-€15. I would definitely recommend it though.

Don't wear cotton. Especially cotton socks. It keeps all the moisture/sweat and is s a surefire way to be uncomfortable and get blisters.
    I suggest reading here and ask these guys. You'll get more correct information than you might get here.
    Thank you so much, the link you provided is very helpful. Will definitely read it properly in a bit.
    Newaglish wrote: »
    FYI, if you are getting a gait analysis done it's usually free but only on the basis that you actually buy a pair of runners afterwards. If you don't, you'll usually be charged €10-€15. I would definitely recommend it though.
    Thank you for this. I'd definitely be buying the runners locally, I prefer not to buy online, especially as I vary in shoe/runner sizes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

+1 on no cotton! I picked up a Puma long sleeve running top for about €15 in a sale and it's the best thing ever! I just give it a rinse after a run, and then a proper wash once a week or so. It's very light, yet keeps you warm when it's cold out.

M&S have decent wicking running legs (and tops, I think). Or keep an eye out for when Lidl and Aldi have running gear - I have lots of their stuff and it's very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Thanks Lia,

Is there any particular sports bra that I need or would any do?

It depends on how big you are

Shock Absorber RUN bra - eliminates bounce by 70% +

lucylu wrote: »
    It depends on how big you are

Shock Absorber RUN bra - eliminates bounce by 70% +
    Thank you.

I'm a 30B so I am quite small. I'd say any regular bra would do me, I've feck all to bounce anyway :o :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

The lidl running clothes are great. I'd also recommend not running in cotton. It will be horrible once you start sweating.

JJB sports is great for cheap running clothes. I got a shock absorber bra in debenhams on sale so it worked out a lot cheaper than normal. Runways also stock a cheaper brand of running gear and they usually have good discounts in store One pair of bottoms and a couple of tops is all you need to start off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I'm a 30B so I am quite small. I'd say any regular bra would do me, I've feck all to bounce anyway :o :P
    Runworx shop near Liffey Valley blogged about starting out running. Aishling (who is into ultra running) runs the place and the blog recommends the Shock Absorber brand.

They can do gait analysis and recommend clothing.
    Definitely do not run in cotton.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Even with small breasts you'll notice the difference the support a sports bra gives. When I took up running in my early teens I would have been the same ish size as you, I thought I didn't need one until about 5 minutes in to the run and then it became very clear that I did. Try it once without a sports bra but you'll be surprised the comfort they give! Or you could try two regular bras. I generally wear 2 regular bras and a sports bra over it, I don't have particularly big boobs but I can't stand the bounce.

Regular leggings wouldn't be ideal imo, try for dri-fit stuff and you'll never look back. If you're looking for gear that's not too expensive I suggest the decathlon website (or their store in Belfast if you're up that way). The gear is really really good quality and you can get proper running leggings for about €15.

I prefer tight tops for running, the loose cotton ones flap around too much and feel really heavy if it rains or they get really sweaty. I'd generally wear something along the lines of this with a dri-fit top underneath or this by itself in warmer weather.

+1 for all the advice re: gait analysis.

Good luck! This is a great time of year to start :)

Advertisement