Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unapproved repair carried out

Options
  • 21-03-2012 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi there, I need some advice on a job that was undertaken without a quote and permission. Last friday i dropped a 125cc bike to a reputable shop where i had bought it 5years ago. She had been lying up for a while and i knew it needed a good bit of tlc but wasnt quite sure what exactly. i rang first to check opening hours and said 2 tyres are flat anyway and seat latch is broken but it hasnt started in long time. Anyway i dropped it down and the owner said he was closing for paddys weekend but if i left ny number he'd call me. I said i just wanted a quote to get her going again. So he started writing down 2tyres seat latch and possible service. I never signed anything or received a quote or docket. So the first first contact was a call today saying basically 'yea we did the two tyres and latch, eh when we went to do the service your whole engine is rusted and you need a complete rebuild'. Now for what we've done you owe us €250 and if you want the engine done the total will be €650'. Then he had the cheek to turn around and say hes going away on friday and needs payment by thursday. Needless to say i was furious. Id just like to know where i stand legally and why he would do that without calling, quoting or giving me a docket??? Because basically now he has commited me into a €650 sale without prior guide price or a go ahead and if i dont take it he wants €250 and i get a bike that i cant drive or sell. All help is really appreciated because i am livid.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

djeureka wrote: »
    Hi there, I need some advice on a job that was undertaken without a quote and permission. Last friday i dropped a 125cc bike to a reputable shop where i had bought it 5years ago. She had been lying up for a while and i knew it needed a good bit of tlc but wasnt quite sure what exactly. i rang first to check opening hours and said 2 tyres are flat anyway and seat latch is broken but it hasnt started in long time. Anyway i dropped it down and the owner said he was closing for paddys weekend but if i left ny number he'd call me. I said i just wanted a quote to get her going again. So he started writing down 2tyres seat latch and possible service. I never signed anything or received a quote or docket. So the first first contact was a call today saying basically 'yea we did the two tyres and latch, eh when we went to do the service your whole engine is rusted and you need a complete rebuild'. Now for what we've done you owe us €250 and if you want the engine done the total will be €650'. Then he had the cheek to turn around and say hes going away on friday and needs payment by thursday. Needless to say i was furious. Id just like to know where i stand legally and why he would do that without calling, quoting or giving me a docket??? Because basically now he has commited me into a €650 sale without prior guide price or a go ahead and if i dont take it he wants €250 and i get a bike that i cant drive or sell. All help is really appreciated because i am livid.
    Cheers.
    €250 for two tyres and a seat latch sounds excessive, are the tyres gold plated?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 djeureka

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Cheers.
    €250 for two tyres and a seat latch sounds excessive, are the tyres gold plated?
    Thats what i said, its a joke, hes really taking the mick.just going to take back bike i think.. Theres no way he can charge that price, especially without quote or deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Thats what i said, its a joke, hes really taking the mick.just going to take back bike i think.. Theres no way he can charge that price, especially without quote or deposit.
    Ring around and get a few prices for the work this guy has done and offer to pay that much, get the bike back and then find somewhere to get the engine looked at because if this guy was out to milk you there may be very little wrong with the engine that a good service wouldn't sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 djeureka

Yea will do that, my friend is a car mechanic albeit he knows a fair bit on bikes too... he seems to think the prices are extortion. ill be there in the morning to inspect the engine with him. thanks for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ogriofa

250 is a crazy price for a 125 (if it was a sports bike and you asked for thee best then maybe...)

I'd play hardball and tell him that that price is crazy and you'd never have agreed to that. Tell him to put the old tyres back on and you'll take the bike away.
    Either way, dont pay that bill.

G'luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement