Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Huge win. Four points from two of the top four from last year is a great start. 'twas a good away performance. Didn't create many chances, but that was unsurprising given, as Pablo says, we were without our three main strikers. We had the best chances of the game and Derry were mostly limited to half chances from outside the box. We coped with them well. I thought Lehane should have come on for the last 15 minutes, to bring a bit of pace and energy late on. A shame that he didn't play, given his two goals against Limerick. O'Sullivan worked his socks off up front on his own - I'm surprised he lasted the full match. He must be wrecked.

Bray at home on Friday, now. They won't be any pushovers. They beat Sligo 1-0, so we'll have to watch them. Hopefully Elding and Rafter will be back, so we can go 4-4-2, with O'Sullivan and Lehane waiting if we need a goal as the match goes on. Buzzing for it now - if we win that, we'll be flying.

998321_767907566554271_566820269_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,273 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

What was positive about last week is that we matched Pats in most areas. They maybe had the ability to create a extra chance or two but that was all. We also worked very hard when down to 10 men.

The pitch today was awful, but Cork dealt with it well. Cant wait for Friday. Bray like you say wont be pushovers, but hopefully a boost was got today.

I would have taken 2 points from first 2 games so 4 is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

3 good points.

That pitch was a disgrace.

Confident we will get another win against Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Solid performance on an awful pitch in an awful stadium. Showing these games on telly I am sure does more harm that good. People go on about getting coverage for the league but unless the product that you are showing will actually entice people along then it's no use really?

Darren Murphy seems well able, but the problem seems to be there are too many central midfielders and not enough full-backs or right wingers. They could do with Rafter, Elding and Morrissey to come back soon too up front. O'Sullivan is decent but not decent enough for a team aiming for league titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

kcb wrote: »
    Solid performance on an awful pitch in an awful stadium. Showing these games on telly I am sure does more harm that good. People go on about getting coverage for the league but unless the product that you are showing will actually entice people along then it's no use really?

It really is an awful kip. Got a text off a fella who went up there on Sunday and he said there was a shrub growing out one of the seats down by the away end. I say they closed the gates last October and opened them again Sunday morning.

• Advertisement

Hopefully another decent crowd tomorrow night and 3 points.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 jdawson

Hopefully another decent crowd tomorrow night and 3 points.
    Should stay dry tonight. It'd be good to have Elding back if he's recovered to give us another option to break them down, I'd say Bray will try to park the bus but we'll score a few anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 jdawson

Another 3 points tonight, a win against Athlone next week will set us up nicely for a top of the table clash with Shamrock Rovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Just in there, great win for us. Finished 3-1 in front of 2,750. First goal came from a run on the wing from Dennehy, got past his man and put a low ball in. Kavanagh got to it on the front post and tucked it in. Second goal was a penalty, which Dennehy took it and sent the keeper the wrong way. Third was scored by Buckley. Healy passed it, Buckley controlled it and fired it in bottom corner. Their goal was from a defensive error by City (think it was Dunleavy or Murray) who failed to head the ball away. They hit the ball and the rebound shot just went in.

Was a lot tougher than I expected but City deserved this. Athlone away next week followed by Rovers coming to town

Just in there, great win for us. Finished 3-1 in front of 2,750. First goal came from a run on the wing from Dennehy, got past his man and put a low ball in. Kavanagh got to it on the front post and tucked it in. Second goal was a penalty, which Dennehy took it and sent the keeper the wrong way. Third was scored by Buckley. Healy passed it, Buckley controlled it and fired it in bottom corner. Their goal was from a defensive error by City (think it was Dunleavy or Murray) who failed to head the ball away. They hit the ball and the rebound shot just went in.

Was a lot tougher than I expected but City deserved this. Athlone away next week followed by Rovers coming to town

It was a lovely chested pass out to Dennehy for the first too. Nice goal.

Peno was the right call, clumsy by Bray defender. Third one was bit too easy. Pity did not keep clean sheet.

Not a bad crowd considering its Bray and also the day not been great some might have stayed away thinking be bad evening.

Should get good crowd for Rovers. Expect around 4,000 for it especially if get 3 points next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Should get good crowd for Rovers. Expect around 4,000 for it especially if get 3 points next week.

Looking at the way we played tonight we'd be lucky to bring in that much! It was a good win and all but let's be honest, City were quite poor. It was just a terrible terrible game, and only for the penalty it could have ended up 2-1 to Bray. The penalty really just opened the game up that bit more which meant more space for Billy and John/Liam to run into.

Still though, isn't the sign of a good team to win while playing badly?

We're missing Shane Duggan badly too, as I originally predicted.

Wilberto wrote: »
    Looking at the way we played tonight we'd be lucky to bring in that much! It was a good win and all but let's be honest, City were quite poor. It was just a terrible terrible game, and only for the penalty it could have ended up 2-1 to Bray. The penalty really just opened the game up that bit more which meant more space for Billy and John/Liam to run into.

Duggan, Elding, Morrissey and Rafter to come back.

The game itself was nothing special but we still created a fair few chances.

Mmmm.:o

Shades of last season in that performance tonight.

Lacked the intensity of the Pats game but like the Pats game we were poor in possession of the ball. Hope that returning players can get us into our stride. Missing that bit of guile in the middle of the park. Though morrissey could do it but he is not that type of player.

On a positive note, Billy Dennehy was fantastic tonight. The go to ball all night until Kearney came on and never shirked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Wilberto wrote: »

We are? In terms of what? I'd disagree with that. We're missing a little bit of guile in midfield, and Duggan certainly didn't bring that.

Thought we did well, last night. Not fantastic, but not terrible, by any means. We did what was needed of us. Bray played some decent stuff, and, on another night, they may have scored when it was just 1-0. But, at the same time, we've been unlucky with injuries. If we had Danny Morrissey and Rafter/Elding up front, I think we would have gotten another few. There were a number of chances, that O'Sullivan simply didn't have to pace to get - eg, in the first half, when he was put through, but the defender was putting pressure on him and the keeper rushed out and cleared. He gives 100%, but I'd have him has our 5th striker when everyone's fit. Bray's late goal took the shine off the result somewhat, but I thought it'd be 2-1 beforehand with our injuries, so 3-1 is a decent. Bearing in mind that Bray beat Sligo last week - if the first three matches are anything to go by, they'll do well this season.

Hopefully, we'll have Elding and Rafter available for Athlone. Rafter probably wouldn't be fit enough to start, but you'd hope he'd have half an hour or so in him. If we had four strikers fit (Danny will probably be out for another two or three weeks), we'd be able to go two up top and have options on the bench, if we needed a goal. We need to win this one. A few goals and a clean sheet would be nice, but anything to keep us joint top is good enough.

If we do win, I can't see why we wouldn't match, or beat, the attendance for the Pats match for Rovers on the 4th. They'll probably bring down 500 - we're definitely capable of bringing 5,000 in, if it's hyped up as a top of the table clash.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=89574666

The U19s were crowned League Champions for the third successive season during the weekend, by beating Drogheda 3-1. We've won the league every year since it started in 2011/12. With five games to go, City were 11 points behind Shels. A fantastic achievement, the lads had a great season.

We're doing a good job in building up our 19s team and bringing players through at a younger age. Morrissey, Buckley, Lehane and Kavanagh have all come through the U19s and have broken into the senior squad, be it into the starting eleven or the 18-man matchday squad. It shows the importance of placing emphasis on the underage structure. We can bring in quality youngsters, who become regular first team players and, if they reach a level which attracts attention from abroad, brings in good money via transfers, some of which we can then put back into the youth structure, improving it and leading to us bringing through more quality youngsters and the cycle continues. If they don't reach the level to attract a big money transfer abroad, then that's grand too, our first team continues to benefit.

If we continue to bring through the quality of players that the under 19s have given us thus far (bearing in mind that the first batch from the 2011-12 season are still only 20/21), the future will be very bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

For anyone interested, we unusually have 4 home games in the month of April, so the club have put on the following offer for the 4 game package. http://www.corkcityfc.ie/home/2014/03/24/amazing-april-offer/

Friday April 4th - Shamrock Rovers
    Friday April 11th - Sligo Rovers
    Friday April 18th - Drogheda United
    Friday April 25th - Bohemians

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭The_Banker

CHealy wrote: »
    For anyone interested, we unusually have 4 home games in the month of April, so the club have put on the following offer for the 4 game package. http://www.corkcityfc.ie/home/2014/03/24/amazing-april-offer/

Friday April 4th - Shamrock Rovers
    Friday April 11th - Sligo Rovers
    Friday April 18th - Drogheda United
    Friday April 25th - Bohemians

Thats a good offer in fairness...
    The two Rovers games will be well attended and always a great atmosphere.

If City beat Athlone I can see the Shamrock Rovers game selling out.

When was the last time a LOI team sold out there ground for a league game?

Sligo probably the only other team that could.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

It won't sell out. Last sell out was probably european football or for league maybe the league winning match against Derry

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,915 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Balmed Out wrote: »
    It won't sell out. Last sell out was probably european football or for league maybe the league winning match against Derry

The Shed was literally rocking that night!! Great night altogether.

We'll see;)

Hope your wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I'm heading down for the game V Rovers for the first time since John o Flynn was apart of the rebel army hoping for a great night

The game against Pats was a sell out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No it wasn't. Unless 2000 bought tickets and didn't show up.

The last total sell out in the league was Derry 2005.

gimmick wrote: »

But about 1,000 seats are taken up from home and away seperation. Also add in the fact tickets were not scanned against Pats. Plenty of people were also standing 200 to 300

Any time I remember being there for a sell out or close to a sell out there would to my mind have been a lot more then what was there for the Pats game. Its been a while though so perhaps my memories aren't accurate.

Hopefully I'm wrong and we will sell out at some stage this season but unless theres a gripping and tense title showdown with us in contention on the last day and playing at home with good weather I dont see it happening.

gimmick wrote: »

Was the last in any competition red star belgrade?

Do ye remember the George O'Callaghan debacle at the time. City had some team back then. Could be inconsistent and infuriating but great days.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Would the league final against Derry in 2011 count? Looking at the reports it says there were only 4164 in attendance but as far as I recall it looked to be even more full than the St. Pats game a few weeks ago.

• Advertisement

Do many of ye here go to many away games?

Would like to do a few this season. Limerick being easy one.

Used live in Dublin o be in the away end when City played Pats, Shels etc..

Might make few Dublin games and have mates to stay at.

Advertisement