Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City FC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

As a Limerick man I'm once again devestated by another narrow defeat. Fair play to Cork. I'm living here amongst ye and the diehard fans (of Cork) that I know are saying ye won't maintain the pace, but the goalscoring potential of Cork is way above Limerick and a lot of other teams at this stage. I can easily see Cork maintaing the pace.
    We've conceded loads of late goals (apart from tonight :rolleyes:) this season. Hopefully if we cut that out we'll at least avoid a relegation playoff. Still, early days and all that . . .
    PS Sorry for cutting in on the Cork City FC forum on a rant about Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Who could we get in realistically in the window do people think?

Is Roy O'Donovan doing anything with Northampton.Will Graham Cummins come back.John O'Flynn was just released by Exeter and will be 32 shortly.Is Kevin Long going anywhere with Burnley?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

mordeith wrote: »
    As a Limerick man I'm once again devestated by another narrow defeat. Fair play to Cork. I'm living here amongst ye and the diehard fans (of Cork) that I know are saying ye won't maintain the pace, but the goalscoring potential of Cork is way above Limerick and a lot of other teams at this stage. I can easily see Cork maintaing the pace.
    We've conceded loads of late goals (apart from tonight :rolleyes:) this season. Hopefully if we cut that out we'll at least avoid a relegation playoff. Still, early days and all that . . .
    PS Sorry for cutting in on the Cork City FC forum on a rant about Limerick.

Must be a bit sickening to see Dave O'Leary on the bench for City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Very lucky to get the win last night but its a great three points to come away with. We are playing with a lone striker who's 30 odd years of age who was playing MSL 6 months ago, and we are second in the league after 13 games. It might not be pretty at times but that for me is incredible.

The passion that JC has bought to this bunch of lads is like a new signing in itself, they are fighting for everything, slides going in all over, players shouting at each other for positions etc..., there was basically none of that the last two years under the bluffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

CHealy wrote: »
    Very lucky to get the win last night but its a great three points to come away with. We are playing with a lone striker who's 30 odd years of age who was playing MSL 6 months ago, and we are second in the league after 13 games. It might not be pretty at times but that for me is incredible.

Hes hardly just any Ol MSL CF tho. Markys been the BEST CF in that league a long long time! Could and probably should have made the step up years ago but for a few reason it never happened! I'm looking forward too next season and seen what he does after a full pre season and some settling in time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is Roy O'Donovan doing anything with Northampton.Will Graham Cummins come back.John O'Flynn was just released by Exeter and will be 32 shortly.Is Kevin Long going anywhere with Burnley?.

Roy is out foreign in Bahrain or some place like that.

Do we really want an older, more injury prone than ever before John O Flynn?

Cummins I would take back in a heartbeat, but I reckon he will want to try his luck at least another season in League 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

O'Flynn has played an average of 35 games a season over the past 6 years, since he's been in England. He's been scoring about ten a season (though, they have been tailing off somewhat, since he first moved there). He's been playing third and fourth division, fully professional football, which is a higher standard than here. He'd be worth a half season, I think. Seeing as Rafter looks to be out for the rest of the season, Flynny and Danny Morissey would be great up front, with Mark O'Sullivan and Rob Lehane as god back up.

My first preference would be Kilduff up front, but Rovers are hardly going to let him go mid-season. Especially to a title/European spot rival. We might get him in the off-season, when his contract runs out.

We need a centre back, too. The defence is starting to look a bit shaky - 11 goals in the last eight games and only two clean sheets. When either of Dan Murray or Darren Dennehy are out, there's not really anyone that convincingly take over from them, either.

A right winger would be good, too, to bring a bit of balance.

Any stand-out U19s players? There's Greg Harte, who scored 21 in the U19 season, as well as Greg Eillis, who scored 11 (and he still has two years left at this leve, I think). Any stand-out defenders or wingers in there? Shame we lost Alan Browne to Preston, he would have slotted right into this team.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Any stand-out U19s players? There's Greg Harte, who scored 21 in the U19 season, as well as Greg Eillis, who scored 11 (and he still has two years left at this leve, I think). Any stand-out defenders or wingers in there? Shame we lost Alan Browne to Preston, he would have slotted right into this team.

Cian Coleman is defo one too watch in the U -19s. Great player was very good for the 19s in the last few games of season after joining and played well against Douglas Hall down the cross!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I see we won 2 nil thanks to an og and a penalty. Dennehy and 2 Bray players picked up red cards.

• Advertisement

Playing Athlone at the Cross tonight. Should get a few goals here so hopefully people come out and support the lads. Buzz has died down a bit which was always going to happen but would be hoping for a crowd of 3000 tonight, which would be fantastic against Athlone Town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

great turnout and a good game,,,,,, great header to win the game but we should of had some more goals wasted a lot up front,,,,,go city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

We need to get rid of the mentality that we have teams beat before we even play them.

Very poor first half, probably the worst half we've played at home all season. Couldn't string 5 passes together without losing the ball. Lehane coming on for Kearney for the second half was a massive change for us and got us going. Hit the post, bar and had a shot cleared off the line before Marky scored with a brilliant looping header. Athlone went down to 10 (2 yellows: 1 for arguing at the ref and 1 for falling on the ball and nearly catching it). If anything, that spurred Athlone on and they could've snatched a draw at the end. Crowd of nearly 4,000 there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Another 3 points, another clean sheet and a great crowd, all good!

First half was putrid, only scored 1 goal, plenty to work on still.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Overall, I think if anyone needed proof that we're not going to win the league, this is it. I know it was still a win but hanging on against Athlone really isn't "Title Contender" material! Athlone were pretty poor it must be said!

It was great to see Rob Lehane come on and play well. We really need another option instead of the 4-5-1 with Mark up top on his own, especially against teams like Athlone, UCD, and Bray.

All in all though, if we finish in a European spot this season, and get to a cup final, then it can be considered a very successful season.

Sooner we get back Danny Morrissey the better.

Marky Sull has been brilliant but 4-5-1 at home to Athlone is Tommy Dunne stuff.

Really looking forward to seeing the goal on RTE on Monday night.

Best header I've seen live!!! :pac:

Its like a high field in Gaelic or a pulled on ground strike in hurling, when you see a goal like that it makes you stand up and applaud.

• Advertisement

Sooner we get back Danny Morrissey the better.

Marky Sull has been brilliant but 4-5-1 at home to Athlone is Tommy Dunne stuff.

Really looking forward to seeing the goal on RTE on Monday night.

Best header I've seen live!!! :pac:

Its like a high field in Gaelic or a pulled on ground strike in hurling, when you see a good it makes you stand up and applaud.

In the words of Jamie Redknapp, Marky is a top top player!!

In the words of Jamie Redknapp, Marky is a top top player!!

Marky showing again tonight why JC has shown faith in him 2-0 away too Shamrock Rovers tonight keeps us nicely in the mix!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Great win, always nice to beat them.

When that second goal went in after being bombarded by Rovers for 20 minutes before it, there would not have been one other place in the world that I'd rather have been. It was pandemonium in the stands.

What a night. One of the best matches I've ever been at, outside of trophy-winning matches. The lads gave it 100% and we got the win we deserved. The passion the players showed when we won was great. Straight over to the City fans to celebrate. There was a very good travelling support; about 200. And we were feckin' loud when Gearóid scored in stoppage. The away section just went mental. Fantastic scenes. It's what being a football fan is all about. I can't wait to see the highlights, with the fans in background.

BqCvAISCUAAjYqU.jpg

• Advertisement

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    What a night. One of the best matches I've ever been at, outside of trophy-winning matches. The lads gave it 100% and we got the win we deserved. The passion the players showed when we won was great. Straight over to the City fans to celebrate. There was a very good travelling support; about 200. And we were feckin' loud when Gearóid scored in stoppage. The away section just went mental. Fantastic scenes. It's what being a football fan is all about. I can't wait to see the highlights, with the fans in background.

BqCvAISCUAAjYqU.jpg

Wasn't there but JC's fist pump there is almost Van Gaal and Van Persie stuff! Soccer republic hopefully cot all the emotion and don't just skip past it in 10 seconds!

Seems everyone who went to that game wants a medal.

LOI fans are truly the worst thing about the LOI.

Great result mind.

Wasn't there but JC's fist pump there is almost Van Gaal and Van Persie stuff! Soccer republic hopefully cot all the emotion and don't just skip past it in 10 seconds!

He's building a good rapport with the fans. Great to see the passion that he shows. The fans, the players and the manager all feed off each other; it's hard not get caught up in the excitement. If we manage to win it, he'd go down as an instant legend. I still can't see us lasting the distance, mind - a top three finish and good cup run (or two) would be great.

We should be aiming for another 4,000+ crowd against Limerick in a fortnight. Three points off the top, on the back of a great away win against Rovers, a Munster derby and no World Cup on the telly.

gimmick wrote: »

Great result mind.

Fantastic input there again Gimmick. Poison.

Fantastic offer for the Limerick match Friday week - under 13s tickets just a euro if they're accompanied by an adult. This will hopefully encourage a lot of families. There's a bit of buzz for this match already and hopefully it'll build further. We're well capable of putting on a good show against Limerick, if we play like we did in the 4-0 at the Cross back in March.

kid-for-a-quid-web.jpg

Great result mind.

Really, the fans are the worst thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Really, the fans are the worst thing...

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Great result mind.

How dare they have the audacity to enjoy themselves.:rolleyes:

Back to the Cross again on Friday against Limerick, after the mid-season break. Buzzing for this one. We're doing great, breathing down Dundalk's necks. They're going into Europe now; hopefully they go on a run and it distracts them a bit. We should get a good crowd in a Munster derby, and if we play as well as we did against them in the League Cup in March, we'll do well.

A euro for kids to get into this one. Bring your young fella around and he (or she) might enjoy it as much as this lad:

Looking forward to this.

• Advertisement

That will do nicely!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

My god Shane Duggan is wasted in that team!

Excellent performance all round tonight. Limerick were shocking poor though.

Only negative is Brian Linehans continuing form makes it almost certain we won't see too much more of him. And I believe a few offers will be made shortly. Class player. Would love if we got the season out of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

that 2nd and 3rd goals were beautiful.

we look so solid at the back.

We look so solid at the back.

It's really hard to tell from that game. We weren't tested at all really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Wilberto wrote: »
    It's really hard to tell from that game. We weren't tested at all really!

even taking away last nights game.

12 goals scored and only 1 conceded in the last 6 league games. Dont care who the opposition are, thats impressive.

John O'Flynn will be announced as a new signing today by all accounts.

Dont know what to make of it if true. I've heard that he'll be on a basic flat wage and then a pay per appearance fee also.

Dont know what to make of it if true. I've heard that he'll be on a basic flat wage and then a pay per appearance fee also.
    For nostalgia reasons alone it be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

He's the most naturally talented footballer that I've ever seen play for the club. I'd be delighted anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Where'd you hear that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

John O'Flynn in 2003 against Shels and Bray were probably the most polished performances there has ever been at Turner's Cross.

This signing could potentially make City title challengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Echo are saying Lenihan is an Arsenal target. No surprise really. The man is quality.

Fabio wrote: »
    Where'd you hear that?

All over social media last night from credible sources. Echo are also running with the story today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

We all dream of a team of John O'Flynn's

Had he stayed injury free he would have been the best player we've ever produced. Every injury he got he came back a little bit reduced. Will be great to see him in a city jersey again.

• Advertisement

I loved watching him play, super player and would still play a part for us I'm sure.

Set too be formally announced today, him and marky uptop be great !

Set too be formally announced today, him and marky uptop be great !

The formation all season has been 433/451. I would not change that. Sullivan has earned his spot up top and I hope he remains there.

Certainly lots of competition for places now.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

John O Flynn is God.

• Advertisement
Advertisement