Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Loss last week hurt but you couldn't say they didn't deserve it.

We looked very one dimensional at times.

Derry look a shambles so hopeful of 3 points tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Great to get back to winning ways. A quick double within two minutes early on giving us the points. Thought we played well overall. Derry didn't do much of note in the first half. They were very unlucky not to score in the second, but so were we. Could have ended 4-2, really. Either way, we were good for the two goal win.

We're only two points off first and second, now. We've a game in hand against Limerick on Tuesday (as do Dundalk against Drogheda). If we win, we'll go outright second and, depending on the Dundalk match, we could go top.

Funny moment near end of game when Healy was taking corner.

"C'mon Colin, I have City -2."

Queue a grimace from Healy when the corner came to nothing.:D

The inability of this team to retain the ball is disappointing. Its mostly hustle and bustle.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I think the two early enough goals just allowed us to sit back a little bit and allow Derry to have the ball. Thankfully, Derry weren't good enough to break us down. Still though, a win is a win is a win!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

3 points......clean sheet......job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

Funny moment near end of game when Healy was taking corner.

"C'mon Colin, I have City -2."

Queue a grimace from Healy when the corner came to nothing.:D

The inability of this team to retain the ball is disappointing. Its mostly hustle and bustle.
    Not keeping the ball isn't unique to city, it's a inability that has been irish football for as long as I can remember, it exists in youth leagues right up to the national senior team IMO,

Pats and Sligo are at the top of Irish football at the moment and both play possession football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Good win, went 2-0 up and the ref could have finished there, Derry only had that chance that came off the bar and City were happy out with the 2-0, and tbh, I was aswell. We have an influx of games coming up theres no need to be busting guts against a poor Derry side when up by 2. Looking forward to Limerick on Tuesday night, should get 300 City fans up there anyway.

Limerick away tonight, anything less than 3 points will be a failure in my eyes. Never thought I'd say this again but Dan Murray being a doubt is actually a blow for us, he's been unreal all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

city are close to 2/1 in the bookies get them wage's on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Jesus some price!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Where are you seeing that price? 6/5 is the best I can find.

Currently 2-0 up against Limerick, with quick goals around the quarter hour mark. Buckley and Dennehy the scores. I think that's Dennehy's 9 or 10th goal for us so far in the league. Even though four or five of them have been from the spot (and he's shown amazing composure there), it's a great record for a winger. If we finish with two goals, it'll be 23 from 13 matches. Fantastic stuff, and we still have Morrissey to come back.

Great start.

Buckley is a revelation this season.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cork-city-live-match-streaming

This is great.

Commentary from Thomond.:cool:

Another 3 points, happy days.

Seems we were very very lucky to get out of there with the win. Healy cleared it off the line at the very very end.

Two games in a row now, where we've gone 2-0 up early on and took the foot off the pedal. Looked like we'd get a third or a fourth, but tonight, we nearly lost it all. With the pressure at the moment of 5 games in two weeks, it might be okay, especially since we won both games. But, next time we've a decent break until the next match and we go 2-0, we need to keep going until we score a third, at least, to kill the game off, and then a fourth. Dundalk won 7-0 tonight - along with their 4-0 against us a few weeks back, they're racing ahead with the goal difference. We have to keep up with them.

Everyone expects City to fall away but they are still there.

Get Morrissey back and some decent recruiting in the transfer window and maybe City are still in the mix come the last series of games.

Who could we get in realistically in the window do people think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Seems we were very very lucky to get out of there with the draw. Healy cleared it off the line at the very very end.

Two games in a row now, where we've gone 2-0 up early on and took the foot off the pedal. Looked like we'd get a third or a fourth, but tonight, we nearly lost it all. With the pressure at the moment of 5 games in two weeks, it might be okay, especially since we won both games. But, next time we've a decent break until the next match and we go 2-0, we need to keep going until we score a third, at least, to kill the game off, and then a fourth. Dundalk won 7-0 tonight - along with their 4-0 against us a few weeks back, they're racing ahead with the goal difference. We have to keep up with them.

Um???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

As a Limerick man I'm once again devestated by another narrow defeat. Fair play to Cork. I'm living here amongst ye and the diehard fans (of Cork) that I know are saying ye won't maintain the pace, but the goalscoring potential of Cork is way above Limerick and a lot of other teams at this stage. I can easily see Cork maintaing the pace.
    We've conceded loads of late goals (apart from tonight :rolleyes:) this season. Hopefully if we cut that out we'll at least avoid a relegation playoff. Still, early days and all that . . .
    PS Sorry for cutting in on the Cork City FC forum on a rant about Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Who could we get in realistically in the window do people think?

Is Roy O'Donovan doing anything with Northampton.Will Graham Cummins come back.John O'Flynn was just released by Exeter and will be 32 shortly.Is Kevin Long going anywhere with Burnley?.

mordeith wrote: »
    As a Limerick man I'm once again devestated by another narrow defeat. Fair play to Cork. I'm living here amongst ye and the diehard fans (of Cork) that I know are saying ye won't maintain the pace, but the goalscoring potential of Cork is way above Limerick and a lot of other teams at this stage. I can easily see Cork maintaing the pace.
    We've conceded loads of late goals (apart from tonight :rolleyes:) this season. Hopefully if we cut that out we'll at least avoid a relegation playoff. Still, early days and all that . . .
    PS Sorry for cutting in on the Cork City FC forum on a rant about Limerick.

Must be a bit sickening to see Dave O'Leary on the bench for City.

Very lucky to get the win last night but its a great three points to come away with. We are playing with a lone striker who's 30 odd years of age who was playing MSL 6 months ago, and we are second in the league after 13 games. It might not be pretty at times but that for me is incredible.

The passion that JC has bought to this bunch of lads is like a new signing in itself, they are fighting for everything, slides going in all over, players shouting at each other for positions etc..., there was basically none of that the last two years under the bluffer.

CHealy wrote: »
    Very lucky to get the win last night but its a great three points to come away with. We are playing with a lone striker who's 30 odd years of age who was playing MSL 6 months ago, and we are second in the league after 13 games. It might not be pretty at times but that for me is incredible.

Hes hardly just any Ol MSL CF tho. Markys been the BEST CF in that league a long long time! Could and probably should have made the step up years ago but for a few reason it never happened! I'm looking forward too next season and seen what he does after a full pre season and some settling in time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Is Roy O'Donovan doing anything with Northampton.Will Graham Cummins come back.John O'Flynn was just released by Exeter and will be 32 shortly.Is Kevin Long going anywhere with Burnley?.

Roy is out foreign in Bahrain or some place like that.

Do we really want an older, more injury prone than ever before John O Flynn?

Cummins I would take back in a heartbeat, but I reckon he will want to try his luck at least another season in League 1.

O'Flynn has played an average of 35 games a season over the past 6 years, since he's been in England. He's been scoring about ten a season (though, they have been tailing off somewhat, since he first moved there). He's been playing third and fourth division, fully professional football, which is a higher standard than here. He'd be worth a half season, I think. Seeing as Rafter looks to be out for the rest of the season, Flynny and Danny Morissey would be great up front, with Mark O'Sullivan and Rob Lehane as god back up.

My first preference would be Kilduff up front, but Rovers are hardly going to let him go mid-season. Especially to a title/European spot rival. We might get him in the off-season, when his contract runs out.

We need a centre back, too. The defence is starting to look a bit shaky - 11 goals in the last eight games and only two clean sheets. When either of Dan Murray or Darren Dennehy are out, there's not really anyone that convincingly take over from them, either.

A right winger would be good, too, to bring a bit of balance.

Any stand-out U19s players? There's Greg Harte, who scored 21 in the U19 season, as well as Greg Eillis, who scored 11 (and he still has two years left at this leve, I think). Any stand-out defenders or wingers in there? Shame we lost Alan Browne to Preston, he would have slotted right into this team.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Any stand-out U19s players? There's Greg Harte, who scored 21 in the U19 season, as well as Greg Eillis, who scored 11 (and he still has two years left at this leve, I think). Any stand-out defenders or wingers in there? Shame we lost Alan Browne to Preston, he would have slotted right into this team.

Cian Coleman is defo one too watch in the U -19s. Great player was very good for the 19s in the last few games of season after joining and played well against Douglas Hall down the cross!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I see we won 2 nil thanks to an og and a penalty. Dennehy and 2 Bray players picked up red cards.

• Advertisement

Playing Athlone at the Cross tonight. Should get a few goals here so hopefully people come out and support the lads. Buzz has died down a bit which was always going to happen but would be hoping for a crowd of 3000 tonight, which would be fantastic against Athlone Town.

Advertisement