Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

CHealy wrote: »
    John O'Flynn will be announced as a new signing today by all accounts.

Dont know what to make of it if true. I've heard that he'll be on a basic flat wage and then a pay per appearance fee also.
    Where'd you hear that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

John O'Flynn in 2003 against Shels and Bray were probably the most polished performances there has ever been at Turner's Cross.

This signing could potentially make City title challengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Echo are saying Lenihan is an Arsenal target. No surprise really. The man is quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Fabio wrote: »
    Where'd you hear that?

All over social media last night from credible sources. Echo are also running with the story today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

We all dream of a team of John O'Flynn's

Had he stayed injury free he would have been the best player we've ever produced. Every injury he got he came back a little bit reduced. Will be great to see him in a city jersey again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I loved watching him play, super player and would still play a part for us I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Set too be formally announced today, him and marky uptop be great !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Set too be formally announced today, him and marky uptop be great !

The formation all season has been 433/451. I would not change that. Sullivan has earned his spot up top and I hope he remains there.

Certainly lots of competition for places now.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

John O Flynn is God.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

How much should Brian Lenihan be sold for?.I hope something decent with a good sell on clause.And is it unfair added pressure that the press are calling him the new Seamus Coleman.

Big difference between what we think he should be sold for and what he will be sold for.

I think we will be doing well to get stg£200k for him with decent appearance add ons and international cap add ons.

Ian Turner gone on loan to Limerick.

gimmick wrote: »
    Big difference between what we think he should be sold for and what he will be sold for.

I think we will be doing well to get stg£200k for him with decent appearance add ons and international cap add ons.

I say about 150k + some serious clauses. I hope whoever is taking the business side of things understands how beneficial clauses are. Lallana went to Liverpool for 24 million, Bournemouth get 6 million of that just because of a simple sell on clause put in place years ago.

The fact we have been caught so badly in the past with sell ons means we never will again. The people who look after the contracts are now legal professionals who know these things inside out at this stage.

I'm in no doubt that these people know what they are doing.

Would hope that if it is Arsenal, we get a friendly out of them aswell, play it in Thomond or something, would surely sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

gimmick wrote: »
    The fact we have been caught so badly in the past with sell ons means we never will again. The people who look after the contracts are now legal professionals who know these things inside out at this stage.

How so? Do you mean TNB selling them off early for a fraction of their value? That won't happen again with the fans in charge, now.

In a five or six year period since 2005, we've made about €1.5M from up front transfer fees. The sell on fee for just Doyle and Long, were they not sold early on, would have doubled that to €3M. It's worth sacrificing a small amount of the up front fee (not at the low level that Doyle and Long went for, mind), to put in a percentage of the future fee.

We've all seen how good a player Lenihan is. If he's signed for Arsenal, there's no reason he could be playing for Ireland in a few years and leave for €5M-€10M. That could net us as much as a seven figure sum. Even if he doesn't make it at Arsenal, he could very well be sold in the low millions to a lower EPL club, which would be a very decent six figure sum for us.

Go back over the years and we have not done magnificently off fees and sell ons. Point is, we have a team of people who look after such things now in a far more professional manner that what it would have been.

Are we being a bit fanciful that Lenihan could go straight into the Arsenal side? We know he is good, but I would far prefer he go to a Championship or even League One side. Coleman, good and all as he is was loaned out to Blackpool for a season before breaking through with Everton. Id imagine Lenihan would have to go the same route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

He has been great this season.

Comfortable on the ball, good athlete, good attitude.

That's a good start anyway.

Dunleavy can fill in there if he does go in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

He has been great this season.

Comfortable on the ball, good athlete, good attitude.

That's a good start anyway.

Dunleavy can fill in there if he does go in the next couple of weeks.
    We also have John Kavanagh, but while they are two good players, particularly Kavanagh, Lenihan would leave huge boots to fill.

Seventh win from the last 8 games last night against Drogheda. 1-0, thanks to a late Garry Buckley goal. If we can keep this run going, then August will be absolutely huge. With a big push, we could see another couple of 5,000 crowds for Dundalk and Pats at the Cross.

In the meantime, this makes for some nice viewing:

Lo_I_Table.jpg

:)

• Advertisement

I'm away so haven't been too see city in a few weeks, how has josh o shea settled?

There's a group organising a 30th anniversary night out (this Saturday at 8 in Clancy's). They've been contacting various businesses, clubs etc. Inter gave this very generous donation:

jKJL0.jpg

e05to.jpg

We've also gotten well wishes from other clubs:

10449932_890909240925826_4985790124841954960_n.jpg

10464390_886996761317074_9116478203389014713_n.jpg

1939966_890909220925828_1361194658446809192_n.jpg

It's fantastic that such big clubs are taking time out to recognise what's such a huge milestone for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dobz95

I saw Josh O' shea come on against Limerick and I taught he did well. It was a good game and win for City

Marky Sull with the winner tonight in what could prove too be a huge goal in the title race!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

Darren Dennehy hoofing aside I thought City with Healy pulling the strings were excellent tonight. Dave O'Leary was class as well in the 1st half.

Should have scored a few more. Flynny looks in great nick but his sharpness in front of goal wasn't there.

Need to make more use out of Lenihan. Was starved of possession but when he gets into advanced areas his deliveries are top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dobz95

I was at the cross as well tonight the title race is hotting up more and more each game! Great atmosphere in the Curragh Road Stand tonight I taught! Marky once again! Plenty of action. Cork City fc v Dundalk will be a such a huge game at the cross I hope big crowds will be there.

Also there was 2,616 people at the cross tonight if anybody is interested lol!

dobz95 wrote: »
    I was at the cross as well tonight the title race is hotting up more and more each game! Great atmosphere in the Curragh Road Stand tonight I taught! Marky once again! Plenty of action. Cork City fc v Dundalk will be a such a huge game at the cross I hope big crowds will be there.

Also there was 2,616 people at the cross tonight if anybody is interested lol!

The bank holiday Friday night that one is. If the weathers nice I'd expect 4k+ down there

• Registered Users Posts: 34,276 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I reckon if they win next week at bohs we will see 5,000 and more.

I reckon if they win next week at bohs we will see 5,000 and more.

Hopefully... Be great for the club 6 points from next 2 games be huge!!

• Advertisement

Huge game up in Dalymount Park tonight, avoid a loss and it sets up next week against Dundalk to be one of the biggest games at the Cross in years.

Back where we belong.

Advertisement