Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City FC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Hopefully 3 points tonight. im going too predict 2-0 marky with both

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Oh dear. Nasty injury to Lenihan it seems. Went over very very badly and looked immediately knocked out. Never nice to see.

Fingers crossed its nothing serious.

Result means nothing.

gimmick wrote: »
    Oh dear. Nasty injury to Lenihan it seems. Went over very very badly and looked immediately knocked out. Never nice to see.

Fingers crossed its nothing serious.

Result means nothing.

Hopefully nothing too bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Hopefully nothing too bad...

Reports are saying that he's in a better condition in hospital. It was horrible to watch on TV and I stopped caring about the result at that point. Lenihan was a lucky boy as the Bohs player that rushed to his assistance was Dr. Derek Pender who was playing left back and was already in that area of the pitch waiting for the ball to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,276 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Good news on Brian
    Bad result last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Horrible night for the club and that young man. After the 15 minute stoppage I was kind of hoping the ref would abandon it cause no one knew how serious it was, and the result meant nothing. Horrible seeing a player having convulsions on the ground like that.

But before that, it was the worst City performance I've seen in a few years, and I stuck with it through Tommy Dunne the last two years. No plan, no width, couldn't string 3 passes together. It was shocking. Cant say I'm surprised though, that performance has been coming for a few weeks.

I fear for the game next Friday, but hopefully the lads can rise to what will ultimately be a 6-pointer game.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,276 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I still think we are playing for European place and not the title.

We lack that creattive player in the middle that can give that killer pass.

i will be very very happy with 3rd right now.

Its a marked improvement and its a step in right direction.

Football fans are hard to please we should be happy with progress which we have seen over season.

Next season then push on for 2nd or title.

If we do better then 3rd this season all the better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I still think we are playing for European place and not the title.
    We lack that creattive player in the middle that can give that killer pass.
    I will be very very happy with 3rd right now.
    Its a marked improvement and its a step in right direction.
    Football fans are hard to please we should be happy with progress which we have seen over season.
    Next season then push on for 2nd or title.
    If we do better then 3rd this season all the better.

I pretty much agree with all of this. If we go on and manage to bring European football back to Turner's Cross for next season then it has to be construed as a successful season.

Our squad just isn't deep enough to keep up a maintain a title challenge for the entirety of the remainder of the season.

After our good start to the league, I remember saying that I'd be more than happy with a cup final, and/or a European place. That remains the same! :D:)

I'd recommend getting your tickets for this Fridays game early as possible. Club shop has sold out the first batch already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I presume im grasping at straws but all usual baby sitters are unavailable. Anyone ever bring a baby with them to a match, like a 6 month old? I think im going to be missing this one....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

I was brought out to the Cross in a pram before (don't remember it mind you) so it can be done!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dobz95

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I presume im grasping at straws but all usual baby sitters are unavailable. Anyone ever bring a baby with them to a match, like a 6 month old? I think im going to be missing this one....

I was at the cross 2 weeks ago when City played UCD and there was a couple with their children and I'd say they were in the same boat as you as their youngest child must have been no older then 5-6 months I'd say!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

dobz95 wrote: »
    I was at the cross 2 weeks ago when City played UCD and there was a couple with their children and I'd say they were in the same boat as you as their youngest child must have been no older then 5-6 months I'd say!

What did they have the baby in? If its warm i might give it a go only problem is ive an hour drive which means he'll have slept and will be awake during match....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

You'd want him to be awake for the match, get it into his system like haha!

When I was in a pram out there it was 24 years back. Facilities are considerably better now, get there earlyish and get a nice seat in the shade and ye'll be grand.

CHealy wrote: »
    I'd recommend getting your tickets for this Fridays game early as possible. Club shop has sold out the first batch already.

Still tickets in beergarden lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The game wont sell out. There will be a big 5000+ no doubt, but a sell out will not happen.

gimmick wrote: »
    The game wont sell out. There will be a big 5000+ no doubt, but a sell out will not happen.

Got them in beergarden either way

Wont sell out but wont be a million miles away either. Get in early and get the atmosphere going. This is what its all about, to think where we were this time last year to playing a top of the table clash tonight, its fantastic. My nerves are shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Crowd were excellent, over 5,600 at The Cross. We were only ok tonight though, started off well but once Dundalk scored, our heads dropped. Showed some real spirit to kick on and get the equalizer only to concede a minute later from a scramble we couldn't clear the ball from. Have to say, ref was an absolute joke tonight. Awful, awful decisions made. Dundalk should've been down to 10 on the last man "tackle" which wasn't given and City should've had a penalty in added time for handball which, again, wasn't given.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Crowd were excellent, over 5,600 at The Cross. We were only ok tonight though, started off well but once Dundalk scored, our heads dropped. Showed some real spirit to kick on and get the equalizer only to concede a minute later from a scramble we couldn't clear the ball from. Have to say, ref was an absolute joke tonight. Awful, awful decisions made. Dundalk should've been down to 10 on the last man "tackle" which wasn't given and City should've had a penalty in added time for handball which, again, wasn't given.

The refs in this league are bad, so you get used to a few poor decisions at every match. You tend to get over it. But Sutton tonight was nothing short of a f*cking disgrace. He wanted to be the star on telly, blowing the whistle every time there was the tiniest bit of contact (or even when there wasn't). At least half of the frees he gave Dundalk were not. I don't know about the penalty incident, but that was a clear cut free kick and sending off for the Dundalk centre back. We weren't at our best, but didn't deserve to lose this one, no chance. Our lads gave it their all, can't fault their effort.

City til I die.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I'd have taken the draw before the match and was gutted to concede just after getting level ! I'm getting used to seeing yellows banded about a lot but Christ the ref was God awful tonight - pitiful in fact, savage crowd down the X !! Great to see!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

Sickner to concede such a sloppy goal after equalizing.

Overall feeling is that our tactics were found out. Hustle and bustle will get you so far but you need more than that. Lack of variation in our play.

Mark Sull isolated up front and yet the long ball was still punted his way were at best he was 40:60 in his duel with the centre back. Josh O'Shea won zero against his marker. And still no change was made.

Dundalk look the business. Towell and Horgan's interplay was top class in the 1st half.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Absolutely gutted. Emotions went from sheer jubilation to utter devastation within a matter of seconds. I thought Gearoid and Garry very good games, as did Mark O'Sullivan who does his usual thing! I also though Ross Gaynor had an impressive debut at left back, although that could just be because he's only replacing Davoren. FFS, I'd look good if I was replacing him!!

Unfortunately though, the game is always going to be a bit of a lottery when you have such a terrible referee. I mean, there were fouls that he let go unpunished, and then there were legitimate challenges which he blew for!

Still though, once we hang onto a European spot I'll be happy. To bring European footy to the Cross next season would be simply magnificent.

It was also fantastic to see such a massive turnout as well, and with the late drama provided by the players, hopefully everyone will return next week for the Pat's encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dobz95

Referee Padraig Sutton may aswell have worn a Dundalk jersey tonight. Some absolutely horrific calls tonight by that man.
    I agree with ye all super super crowd tonight best I'd seen at the cross all season! The shed end was rocking! aswell as everywhere else! After Dennehys goal tonight I actually think the foundation of Turners Cross was shaking. I'd love to see a crowd like that nest week vs Saint Pats as thats also crucial game for both sides!

Wilberto wrote: »
    Absolutely gutted. Emotions went from sheer jubilation to utter devastation within a matter of seconds. I thought Gearoid and Garry very good games, as did Mark O'Sullivan who does his usual thing! I also though Ross Gaynor had an impressive debut at left back, although that could just be because he's only replacing Davoren. FFS, I'd look good if I was replacing him!!

Unfortunately though, the game is always going to be a bit of a lottery when you have such a terrible referee. I mean, there were fouls that he let go unpunished, and then there were legitimate challenges which he blew for!

Still though, once we hang onto a European spot I'll be happy. To bring European footy to the Cross next season would be simply magnificent.

It was also fantastic to see such a massive turnout as well, and with the late drama provided by the players, hopefully everyone will return next week for the Pat's encounter.
    Davoren is pretty much the best left back in the league. I'm not sure why you'd think he's poor. Johnny C played him twice when he was clearly unfit is all I can think of.

Davoren is pretty much the best left back in the league. I'm not sure why you'd think he's poor. Johnny C played him twice when he was clearly unfit is all I can think of.

TBH, I'm only going on how he played for us this for the short while that he was with us. I'm not saying he's a bad player by any means, but for some reason it really didn't work out for him. He was terrible in his first game and was duly substituted at half time, and he was terrible against Bohs last week.

Poor preformance and poor atmosphere. Very sloppy second goal! The free wasn't needed and Nults should have cleared house for the long free in!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sickner to concede such a sloppy goal after equalizing.

Overall feeling is that our tactics were found out. Hustle and bustle will get you so far but you need more than that. Lack of variation in our play.

Mark Sull isolated up front and yet the long ball was still punted his way were at best he was 40:60 in his duel with the centre back. Josh O'Shea won zero against his marker. And still no change was made.

Dundalk look the business. Towell and Horgan's interplay was top class in the 1st half.

I agree with this. At times we really dont seem to have a way of playing, bar Dan or Darren getting the ball and booting it up to Marky. When we did get the ball in around the midfield to Gearoid and Bucks, we looked much more dangerous in at least creating things. Gearoid was excellent, our only player in the entire team who can carry the ball forward successfully. Dont know how many times tonight Billy got the ball, kicked it past the right back and ran after it, only for the right back to get there first and get the ball back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

I was really baffled by the decision to take Morrissey off, he was the only Cork player consistently using the ball well.

• Advertisement

Wilberto wrote: »
    TBH, I'm only going on how he played for us this for the short while that he was with us. I'm not saying he's a bad player by any means, but for some reason it really didn't work out for him. He was terrible in his first game and was duly substituted at half time, and he was terrible against Bohs last week.
    Granted he was awful in that game. But he had been inactive for 5 months, only started training that week and Johnny C threw him in. It was a blatantly crazy decision even before kick-off. He subsequently turned in some very good performance for us.

Advertisement