Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City FC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

hman231 wrote: »
    . Its a joke too that the Linfield home game isn't being televised I'm sure many would tune in for sure

In fairness it's up against Germany and France in the Euros. That's a tough sell for any TV company to go head to head with that game.

Dundalk also have +14 GD on City. That effectively puts them 10 points ahead. So frustrating the way they get all these last minute winners. Even more frustrating that in the season where we now have their number head to head, the rest of the league have basically waved the white flag when they play them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

These late winners are becoming ridiculous apart from us they've won 15 drawn 1. Our points total is fantastic but this Dundalk side are relentless, we're 9 points off them with 2 games in hand and still have to play them so it's all to play for going to be a very tough week. With Linfield tomorrow and Wexford away Sunday. Its a joke too that the Linfield home game isn't being televised I'm sure many would tune in for sure

Who should televise it and who would tune in?

Fact is no one aside from CCFC and Linfield fans give a crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

namloc1980 wrote: »
    In fairness it's up against Germany and France in the Euros. That's a tough sell for any TV company to go head to head with that game.

Dundalk also have +14 GD on City. That effectively puts them 10 points ahead. So frustrating the way they get all these last minute winners. Even more frustrating that in the season where we now have their number head to head, the rest of the league have basically waved the white flag when they play them.

Lot of late winners alright, Drogheda and Derry were two last year, and two this year Wexford and Longford (and whisper it, very nearly an equaliser at the Cross ). I don't agree about teams waving the white flag, Wexford and Longford certainly gave as good as they got. On another evening Longford might have been given an early penalty and when the score was 3 - 3 Rogers fly kicked the ball against Simon and the ricochet ran just wide from 20 yards. I'm around long enough now to know that's it's a thin line between success and failure and that in most years CC would have won one of the last two leagues.

Anyway good luck to City tonight, not that you'll need it, I hope you win easily and progress to the next round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

To be honest, it's probably better for our attendance that it isn't televised. We'll already take a bit of a hit going up against Germany and France in the Euros. We'll probably have about 4,000 at it plus whatever Linfield bring down.

Gonna say 2-1 City. City to go 1-0 up, Linfield to equalise and us to hit them on the break late on when they're going for the winner. I'm certainly not expecting us to walk through them. Regardless of what people think of the qualify of the Irish League, we never do things the easy way when it comes to Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    To be honest, it's probably better for our attendance that it isn't televised. We'll already take a bit of a hit going up against Germany and France in the Euros. We'll probably have about 4,000 at it plus whatever Linfield bring down.

Gonna say 2-1 City. City to go 1-0 up, Linfield to equalise and us to hit them on the break late on when they're going for the winner. I'm certainly not expecting us to walk through them. Regardless of what people think of the qualify of the Irish League, we never do things the easy way when it comes to Europe.

Im struggling to understand the pessimism for this tie, and its not just you, few people I have spoke to are expecting extra time. Madness, we should have beaten them 3-0 last week, this times kt our patch, we are technically much better and we simply have the better players, im going for a 3-0 City win this time.

Well done City.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Should have won but through to the next round is the main thing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

That was a real struggle, a lot at stake, well done city.

Smyth looked a decent player for Linfield

Made hard work of that, but job done.

TBF if it wasn't for the keeper we would have thumped them.

Concerns arising from last night being our entire midfield was shíte. Bolger is so key to us its actually quite worrying. Should he get sidelined for any length of time we are in trouble. McSweeney is also not up to snuff. Every time he received the ball last night he lost it.

The other way of looking at it is the LOI is extremely poor this season, so the above may not cause too many issues in general. Bit still, these are not issues Dundalk face. We shouldn't either.

Biggest plus from the performance last night was McGuire. Was immense. He is so strong, it seems like it is almost impossible to knock him off the ball. If his finishing could be upped a few notches now it would be great.

Anyway, job done, money in the bank. Hopefully this Swedish crowd are not up to much and we can get a good crowd in 2 weeks for the return leg. And get through obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭lukin

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Should have won but through to the next round is the main thing!!

Roy Carroll was outstanding for Linfeld though. He made four or five superb saves. The chance Linfield scored from was probably the only they created in the whole game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

I'm very worried for the LOI. Pats only going through vs a Luxembourg side on away goals is a disgrace not where this league should be, Rovers just giving up vs a average Finnish league side and us narrowly scraping through against Linfield. But having all said and done Cork,Pats and Dundalk all still in competition is good. I feel that vs Linfield is was our rock solid defense which has helped big time and Maguire too. I would be surprised if we get any sort of result vs Hacken they'll be very strong and will be well able to play. I think that LOI european hope are not looking good this year, and I hope to be proved wrong but the top clubs Cork,Pats,Rovers and Dundalk need to keep getting top 4 to get them 4 clubs up to the level. But as for Cork really disheartened by the attendance 3500 for a huge europa home game vs LINFIELD should be a sell out, but from Cork;s point of view big improvements from last year well done johnny c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

CHealy wrote: »
    Im struggling to understand the pessimism for this tie, and its not just you, few people I have spoke to are expecting extra time. Madness, we should have beaten them 3-0 last week, this times kt our patch, we are technically much better and we simply have the better players, im going for a 3-0 City win this time.

lol

I'm very worried for the LOI. Pats only going through vs a Luxembourg side on away goals is a disgrace not where this league should be, Rovers just giving up vs a average Finnish league side and us narrowly scraping through against Linfield. But having all said and done Cork,Pats and Dundalk all still in competition is good.

Pat's not disgrace but not great either. Rovers big disappointment. Great that City are through, a win would have been nice. Up until last night I thought Dundalk had a good chance but not so sure now. The team they drew are leading the Icelandic league and the team that are 9th beat Glanavon 6 - 0 last night in Belfast. Not as easy as it first appeared.
    Edit; I just discovered that it was KR that defeated Glenavon 8 -1 overall. They are 2 points above relegation in Iceland. I have read JC's statement and I think he is bang on the money.
    the top clubs Cork,Pats,Rovers and Dundalk need to keep getting top 4 to get them 4 clubs up to the level.

Now that would be nice ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I'm very worried for the LOI. Pats only going through vs a Luxembourg side on away goals is a disgrace not where this league should be, Rovers just giving up vs a average Finnish league side and us narrowly scraping through against Linfield. But having all said and done Cork,Pats and Dundalk all still in competition is good. I feel that vs Linfield is was our rock solid defense which has helped big time and Maguire too. I would be surprised if we get any sort of result vs Hacken they'll be very strong and will be well able to play. I think that LOI european hope are not looking good this year, and I hope to be proved wrong but the top clubs Cork,Pats,Rovers and Dundalk need to keep getting top 4 to get them 4 clubs up to the level. But as for Cork really disheartened by the attendance 3500 for a huge europa home game vs LINFIELD should be a sell out, but from Cork;s point of view big improvements from last year well done johnny c
    I felt the same way after seeing the Pats result.
    But Aberdeen lost to a Luxemborg side last night. It makes me feel a bit better.
    Now of course Aberdeen were 3-1 up from the first league and are out of season.

Still the league is in a poor place and I think we can all see that but our place in the coefficients just hammers it home.

The league has never had strong consistent results in Europe ever. Not sure this year is sudden cause for crisis or panic. Over the last 5 seasons the league has earned the following coefficient points from European competition and this is the basis of the UEFA coefficient rankings:

2012/13 - 1.000
    2013/14 - 0.250
    2014/15 - 2.000
    2015/16 - 0.700
    2016/17 - 0.750 (with at least 6 more games to be played by LoI teams in Europe this season)

So this year is the 3rd most in the last 5 years with 3 teams still going strong. And there's every chance it'll end up being the second best out of the last 5 years after 2014/15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Matthew Conor joins from Wexford today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Also is Antony Mcalavey back at city again ? Thought he was at Waterford now?

Wexford 0-1 CCFC. Buckley with the goal. What a result ! keeps the league points tally going and pressure on Dundalk if we keep winning they will drop points eventually and if they don't we will have a chance to beat them when we play them, very important win

The league has never had strong consistent results in Europe ever. Not sure this year is sudden cause for crisis or panic. Over the last 5 seasons the league has earned the following coefficient points from European competition and this is the basis of the UEFA coefficient rankings:

2012/13 - 1.000
    2013/14 - 0.250
    2014/15 - 2.000
    2015/16 - 0.700
    2016/17 - 0.750 (with at least 6 more games to be played by LoI teams in Europe this season)

So this year is the 3rd most in the last 5 years with 3 teams still going strong. And there's every chance it'll end up being the second best out of the last 5 years after 2014/15.

Pats & Cork have slim to no chance of progression and Dundalk have a 50/50 tie.
    Gibraltar are set to out score us this year.
    European results really aren't telling us anything we don't know already.
    The league is in poor order and needs some serious help.

Gibraltar coefficients:
    14/15 - 0.250
    15/16 - 0.750

A little too similar!

• Advertisement

Really hope dundalk can win their tie. If we defend well we have every chance of winning

Pats & Cork have slim to no chance of progression and Dundalk have a 50/50 tie.
    Gibraltar are set to out score us this year.
    European results really aren't telling us anything we don't know already.
    The league is in poor order and needs some serious help.

Gibraltar coefficients:
    14/15 - 0.250
    15/16 - 0.750

A little too similar!

Gibraltar isn't a great example as they enter in the first qualifying round of the Champions League against the likes of the champions of San Marino and Andorra. They've picked up a few wins in that round which inflates the coefficient. Even Ireland is seeded higher and starts in the 2nd round.

Really hope dundalk can win their tie. If we defend well we have every chance of winning

Do you know anything about Hacken or are you basing this off the fact you never heard of them before?

I watched BK Hacken v Hammarby on Saturday in which Hacken won 4-2. Theres no doubt the standard is higher than LOI but Hammarby were absolute muck, I reckon Longford might have got a result if they were playing them. Hacken were excellent going forward, nice quick football on the deck, we are going to struggle big time with that, but alternatively, they looked so bad at the back, if we could manage to grab an away goal and stop them scoring more than 2, then we have a chance back at the Cross. They gave away 3 penalties to Hammarby and they also should have conceded at least 2 more.

Also watched the Wexford game yesterday but the less said about that the better, one of the worst games of football ever played. A win is a win is a win.

Gibraltar isn't a great example as they enter in the first qualifying round of the Champions League against the likes of the champions of San Marino and Andorra. They've picked up a few wins in that round which inflates the coefficient. Even Ireland is seeded higher and starts in the 2nd round.

True to an extent but Red Imps have progressed to the R2Q the last 2 seasons running which suggests they deserve to start in that round.

Likewise Europa Fc have progressed to the R2Q of the Europa League after beating FC Pyunik. I wouldn't be betting heavy on a LOI side doing the same.

Here's Icelands coefficients as they come in at the same rounds as us, they're doing better yet have 1/10th of our population:
    11/12-1.375
    12/13-1.250
    13/14-2.500
    14/15-2.500
    15/16-1.125

They are a decent Swedish team but lets be honest there is no reason why if cork city play well over the two legs we cant beat them. I'd be very surprised if they hammered cork the swedish league is good but its not full of Goliath's I think pats have a tougher draw than us Dinamo Minsk would be a much tougher tie, sure time will tell but our defense is very good against quick attackers we kept Dundalk to 0 a few times this year

• Advertisement

True to an extent but Red Imps have progressed to the R2Q the last 2 seasons running which suggests they deserve to start in that round.

Likewise Europa Fc have progressed to the R2Q of the Europa League after beating FC Pyunik. I wouldn't be betting heavy on a LOI side doing the same.

Here's Icelands coefficients as they come in at the same rounds as us, they're doing better yet have 1/10th of our population:
    11/12-1.375
    12/13-1.250
    13/14-2.500
    14/15-2.500
    15/16-1.125

But both Cork City and St Pats have progressed to the 2nd qualifying round? :confused:

Iceland is interesting as they show what can happen when the national association invests heavily in the grassroots game. They have something like 600 UEFA qualified coaches which given their size is phenomenal. I'm not saying there aren't issues in Ireland, there are, but it's no worse this year than ever before. Unfortunately we have the FAI, media and football fans in Ireland who don't give a damn about the domestic game. Until that changes (which I unfortunately don't think it will) the league will continue to languish in the bottom quartile in Europe.

But both Cork City and St Pats have progressed to the 2nd qualifying round? :confused:

Iceland is interesting as they show what can happen when the national association invests heavily in the grassroots game. They have something like 600 UEFA qualified coaches which given their size is phenomenal. I'm not saying there aren't issues in Ireland, there are, but it's no worse this year than ever before. Unfortunately we have the FAI, media and football fans in Ireland who don't give a damn about the domestic game. Until that changes (which I unfortunately don't think it will) the league will continue to languish in the bottom quartile in Europe.

Yes and that proves my point that we're a bit too close to the Gibraltar league for comfort.
    Agree with everything you've said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Using population in an argument is pointless. If that's really a factor we should all stop playing and let China play India in every World Cup Final.

Iceland looks over-performing compared to us, we look over-performing compared to Australia, Australia look over-performing compared to Iran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

Dundalk fan here. Will you lads be supporting Dundalk tomorrow night? Just saw on a comment on FB on a post from soccer republic about the match tomorrow with some Rovers fan saying "good luck to the Iceland team, from the rest of the league".

I will be hoping that Cork do well tonight. Any win for an Irish team is good for the league!

Honestly, no I wont and I never have wished other LOI clubs well.

This whole "good for the league" thing makes no odds to me. Shams getting to the groups a few years back only benefited them, no one else.

Similarly I do not care if other LOI clubs want CCFC to do well. I certainly do not expect them to be cheering us on anyway.

• Advertisement

Raoul wrote: »
    Dundalk fan here. Will you lads be supporting Dundalk tomorrow night? Just saw on a comment on FB on a post from soccer republic about the match tomorrow with some Rovers fan saying "good luck to the Iceland team, from the rest of the league".

I will be hoping that Cork do well tonight. Any win for an Irish team is good for the league!

Good luck and all that but no, not a hope would I support another team in Europe, it only benefits that team, not the league. The last thing I want as a Cork City supporter is for Dundalk to go through and get another 500k into the bank.

I'll have my Fimleikafélag Hafnarfjarðar jersey ready for tomorrow night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

gimmick wrote: »
    Honestly, no I wont and I never have wished other LOI clubs well.

This whole "good for the league" thing makes no odds to me. Shams getting to the groups a few years back only benefited them, no one else.

Similarly I do not care if other LOI clubs want CCFC to do well. I certainly do not expect them to be cheering us on anyway.

And look how things have turned out for them since. All in all Dundalk getting an extra €500K won't change things that much.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    And look how things have turned out for them since. All in all Dundalk getting an extra €500K won't change things that much.

Still prefer they didn't get a shiny penny tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Raoul

Cape Clear wrote: »

This is what I think. Realistically if Dundalk get more money, it would hopefully go into developing the facilities. We aren't going to go spending it on better players cos...we pretty much already have the best team in the league. We would possibly be able to offer the likes of Horgan more money to stay rather than possibly going abroad.

Raoul wrote: »

Dundalk fan here too, but I will be hoping CC do get through and Pats too for that matter (though I think the Pats defence will let them down). 50:50 with CC and Dundalk, will depend very much on the night.

As for Rovers fans, wouldn't pass any heed, it's all to do with SK. They are sore and about firing him so quickly. Only themselves to blame.

And about the co efficients, it's better all teams do well, Dundalk (and all LOI winners) start in the 2nd qualifying round (automatically picking up the 200k for the first round). Wouldn't it be great if LOI teams started in the 2nd round of the Europa qualifiers as well (automatically picking up the first 200k as well) ? Though we are a bit away from that at the moment, probably closer to league winners entering at 1st qr

Good luck and all that but no, not a hope would I support another team in Europe, it only benefits that team, not the league. The last thing I want as a Cork City supporter is for Dundalk to go through and get another 500k into the bank.

I'll have my Fimleikafélag Hafnarfjarðar jersey ready for tomorrow night.

They've already got €550k guaranteed in prize money just for getting to this stage. They'll get a minimum of €1.18m if they get through against the Icelanders.
    joeysoap wrote: »
    Dundalk fan here too, but I will be hoping CC do get through and Pats too for that matter (though I think the Pats defence will let them down). 50:50 with CC and Dundalk, will depend very much on the night.

As for Rovers fans, wouldn't pass any heed, it's all to do with SK. They are sore and about firing him so quickly. Only themselves to blame.

And about the co efficients, it's better all teams do well, Dundalk (and all LOI winners) start in the 2nd qualifying round (automatically picking up the 200k for the first round). Wouldn't it be great if LOI teams started in the 2nd round of the Europa qualifiers as well (automatically picking up the first 200k as well) ? Though we are a bit away from that at the moment, probably closer to league winners entering at 1st qr

Dundalk get €300k for appearing in the 2nd Qualifying round of the Champions League. And they'll get another €250k assuming they fail to qualify for the group stages. As for the Europa League teams get €200k from the first qualifying round (win or lose) and €210k of they progress to the second qualifying round.

11/12-1.375
    12/13-1.250
    13/14-2.500
    14/15-2.500
    15/16-1.125

Red Imps beat Celtic in the first leg of the Champions League 2nd qualifying round!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Red Imps beat Celtic in the first leg of the Champions League 2nd qualifying round!!!

Celtic will have to show great character to bounce back from that defeat.

Will be watching on with interest. Can't see Dundalk going through mind.

I wish Dundalk and Pats the best of luck and will be a nervous about their results as Corks results, Its all good for the league and country as a hole. I rate Pats chances at 5 % of going through really struggle to see them doing anything they'll have to sharpen up at the back. Dundalk at 40 %, its very possible but Icelandic sides are good and I just feel they have a lot of european experience, but if Dundalk play with a high tempo and flare I don't see why they can't score goals and go through. And for Cork City I give us a 30 % chance of going through, the only thing I think I can say with confidence with this tie is that we won't score many so if our defense holds strong over two legs maybe we can nick it by the odd goal but I feel that for the LOI sides our opposition will have more fire power than us so we have to make sure we all defend properly and take the chances. I predict one team to go through but hope for three anythings possible seeing Celtics result earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

With blind optimism and the faith of the devout, I am hoping for City to grab a 1-1 result away to Hacken tonight. And then win the second leg by the odd goal :D

I'd support any LOI team in Europe, even Shels :eek: Don't think I need to worry about them qualifying for Europe for a long, long time though ;)

Good luck to city tonight ( and Pats). If you can keep them to 1 or even 2 goals you will have a cracking chance next week.

At the match in Oriel last night. 1st half one great save from Rogers and one bad miss by McMillan. 2nd half - nice goal by McMillan, poor clearance for equaliser. Easy to see why FH have won 7 of the last 12 titles in Iceland (probably 8 of 13 by seasons end) although not much in it I thought they were fitter than Dundalk. If they were parachuted into the LOI definitely would be in the shakeup and possibly winners , but again, they are miles ahead of the other Icelandic teams.

Do us proud City.

Who hoo , well done CC (let's not be churlish - Pats too) very nearly a famous away win. Cross will be hopping next week.

BK Hacken 1-1 Cork City
    Dinamo Minsk 1-1 Pats
    Dundalk 1-1 FH
    Good results all to play for, looking forward to seeing these result could be all three go through or all three go out very interesting at least the co efficient will be respectable but we want more. Well done Pats going down 1-0 too fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 8,751 ✭✭✭Worztron

BK Hacken 1-1 Cork City
    Dinamo Minsk 1-1 Pats
    Dundalk 1-1 FH
    Good results all to play for, looking forward to seeing these result could be all three go through or all three go out very interesting at least the co efficient will be respectable but we want more. Well done Pats going down 1-0 too fair play

Imagine if City met Pats in the next round.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Saw 2nd half on the stream, good quality with the 8 euro. City should have probably won it really. Should be a great game next week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fantastic results, would have taken that beforehand in a heart beat

The X will be rocking !!!!

Worztron wrote: »
    Imagine if City met Pats in the next round.

Impossible im afraid, they will create seperate groups to make sure this doesnt happen.

We have nothing to fear from this mid table Swedish team. Away goal was crucial.

It's a pity Cliftonville lost -- especially after such a bright start.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

Impossible im afraid, they will create seperate groups to make sure this doesnt happen.

We have nothing to fear from this mid table Swedish team. Away goal was crucial.

I thought the draw is random.

Advertisement