Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City FC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Well done Dundalk. 7 million is some prize money

Is it really that big?

Googled this

Playoff Bonus €50 million distributed to 20 teams who participated in playoffs. €2m each for playoff winners and €3 million each for eliminated teams.

Have I got this correct. IF Dundalk win the get €2m ( and obviously stay in the competition)

if they are eliminated they get €3m and 'drop' into the Europa league playoff?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

joeysoap wrote: »
    Is it really that big?

Posted in another thread

Before kicking a ball, Dundalk earned €300,000 for participating in the second round of Champions League qualifying.

Winning that guaranteed them another 630,000.

Victory tonight, however, ensures they will receive €4.2 million more. At worst. They will receive €3 million for turning up in the Champions League qualifier round and should they lose that (though no one is in the mood to hypothesis on failure) they will get another €1.2 million for participation in the Europa League group phase.

Victory in the playoff and their resultant (and historic) participation in the Champions League group stage will see them get €10 million more.

To put all this into context, they earned € 110,000 for winning the 2015 League of Ireland title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

joeysoap wrote: »
    Is it really that big?

Googled this

Playoff Bonus €50 million distributed to 20 teams who participated in playoffs. €2m each for playoff winners and €3 million each for eliminated teams.

Have I got this correct. IF Dundalk win the get €2m ( and obviously stay in the competition)

if they are eliminated they get €3m and 'drop' into the Europa league playoff?

See attached

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

Surely bit to god that win for Dundalk will be good for City! Give them the believe that they can do it too :) So we all hope anyways !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

CorkColin wrote: »
    Surely bit to god that win for Dundalk will be good for City! Give them the believe that they can do it too :) So we all hope anyways !

How could it possibly be good for CCFC?

Disastrous night for the LOI. Great for Dundalk. They will dominate like no other team has ever done before in the league as a result of this. Any chance we had of catching them evaporated last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭jaykay74

gimmick wrote: »

Disastrous night for the LOI. Great for Dundalk. They will dominate like no other team has ever done before in the league as a result of this. Any chance we had of catching them evaporated last night.

What about it increasing the chance of catching them this season due to their fixture congestion and therefore being in the CL next season and replicating Dundalks run next year. I mean the prizemoney for Dundalk doing well in Europe versus league stuff might mean focus is now on Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

A rising tide lifts all ships but some more than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

I didn't mean good on the financial side of things, but that it shows that it can be done, same scoreline 1-0 down with the home leg to come, as in they will want to show they can do it too :)

jaykay74 wrote: »
    What about it increasing the chance of catching them this season due to their fixture congestion and therefore being in the CL next season and replicating Dundalks run next year. I mean the prizemoney for Dundalk doing well in Europe versus league stuff might mean focus is now on Europe.

Dundalk are clever. They are not going to jeopradise not winning the league and doing the same next year and getting even more money by going helter skelter trying to get out of their group in the CL or EL.
    Cape Clear wrote: »
    A rising tide lifts all ships but some more than others.

How will it benefit Cobh, or Finn Harps, or even Drogheda or UCD? It wont.

Dundalk are clever. They are not going to jeopradise not winning the league and doing the same next year and getting even more money by going helter skelter trying to get out of their group in the CL or EL.

If they draw 1-1 in an away leg and the prize is CL group stage they'll be willing to rest players. I don't mean rest 11 players, I just mean take risks. They could get knocked out in the 1st round CL next season. This is their time to try to make hay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

People saying "it was a great night for the league" are deluded. It was an absolute disaster for every club bar Dundalk. Now I dont think its as bad as some are saying, their team will still be ripped apart when English clubs start offering the likes of Horgan 7 grand a week, but it does mean they have a head start on every other club. I really hope they use their money to sort the ground, they have the best team in the league but have the worst ground, now they have a chance to fix that.

They battered BATE last night, but BATE were so bad I actually had to question their motifs while watching the game. How could Champions League regulars be so bad?

CHealy wrote: »
    People saying "it was a great night for the league" are deluded. It was an absolute disaster for every club bar Dundalk.

Maybe going forward but the result increases Citys chances of winning the league this season... If we don't then we are fecked obv

Maybe going forward but the result increases Citys chances of winning the league this season... If we don't then we are fecked obv

Winning the league is now a must for us if we want to stay in touch with Dundalk over the next few years, if it means going out against Genk tomorrow night then so be it. We have to somehow win the league this year and try and replicate what Dundalk have just done in Europe next season to stand a chance. And lets not forget that Dundalk got incredibly lucky in the draw, getting an Icelandic side and a BATE side who to be honest just didnt look interested.

I am delighted for Stephen Kenny though, I do believe he is a LOI man first and anytime Iv met him he's always had no problem stopping for a chat, I say he could talk to you about the league for hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I'm not sure it increases our chances of winning the league. Dundalk's already high confidence and self-belief will only have been boosted by their incredible result last night.

Similarly, if we fail to progress against Genk, I would worry that it could have a negative effect on our chances of winning the league.

I think it's vital that we stay in Europe as long as Dundalk are there, so a win against Genk is now more important than ever. And I do genuinely believe we can do it, after seeing the match last week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Rovers got this far in 2011 - wasted all the cash, haven't won the league since

Shedite27 wrote: »

A lot less cash but yes it hampered them if anything it helped Pats and Dundalk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Rover's are a pity of a club. If any team was going to fúck up getting an injection of cash they were

Plus they only got a fraction of the money Dundalk are going to get, about 1.2m I think

The longer Dundalk are in Europe, the better our chances of winning the league.
    They will have a backlog of games, more travelling, 2 games each week with some being very high pressure ones, more injuries etc, this is good for us.
    The money will allow them to hold onto their better players, and sign more that's not good news, but it is what it is.

They deserve it. They have been the best team for a while now and they are reaping the rewards. Fair dues to them

Onto us now to continue our adventure, not as lucrative but the monies we are earning will allow us a very good platform for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

They need to win the league to get into the CL in the first place, so they won't be ignoring their domestic duties. And the fixture congestion isn't huge by any means. Three of the group matches will be after the season ends. Five matches (playoffs plus three groups) will be during the season, but they were guaranteed two EL playoff matches anyway, so it's really only an extra three matches. And we already have one extra match than they do to re-arrange.

With this windfall, they'll probably be able to sign 3 or 4 out of contract mercenaries from abroad for the next few months to see them over the line, as well. They won't be on huge money for such a short contract and they can well afford it.

By the same token, Rovers getting to the EL group stages did nothing for the rest of the league. Six months later, Monaghan United had to withdraw.

Just one team qualifying doesn't help the profile. The profile will only be helped by consistent improvement by a few teams. If City were to do it as well this season and someone else did it next year, then we might see some overall improvement across the league. But if it's just Dundalk and they win the league again this season, giving them to chance to replicate their run in 2017, well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

They wont see any of this money until October next year, they could get some loans based on this thou

• Advertisement

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    They need to win the league to get into the CL in the first place, so they won't be ignoring their domestic duties. And the fixture congestion isn't huge by any means. Three of the group matches will be after the season ends. Five matches (playoffs plus three groups) will be during the season, but they were guaranteed two EL playoff matches anyway, so it's really only an extra three matches. And we already have one extra match than they do to re-arrange.

Crazy situation given the summer break we should have played at least one league match before we went into Europe as Dundalk did.

With this windfall, they'll probably be able to sign 3 or 4 out of contract mercenaries from abroad for the next few months to see them over the line, as well. They won't be on huge money for such a short contract and they can well afford it.

When can they sign out of contract players between now and the end of the month?

By the same token, Rovers getting to the EL group stages did nothing for the rest of the league. Six months later, Monaghan United had to withdraw.

Just one team qualifying doesn't help the profile. The profile will only be helped by consistent improvement by a few teams. If City were to do it as well this season and someone else did it next year, then we might see some overall improvement across the league. But if it's just Dundalk and they win the league again this season, giving them to chance to replicate their run in 2017, well...

come on City!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Kudos to Dundalk.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

They wont see any of this money until October next year, they could get some loans based on this thou

By that token €550,000 from last year due this October plus €39,000 fines levied on other clubs for breaking the fair play rules ( think is was Barca and City).
    And the gate money, TV money etcetera

But your joking right?

If we could get Oriel sorted that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

Congrats to Dundalk. Great result for the LOI, as a league if we want to improve we need more strong teams in it and I hope Dundalk invest in their stadium now with this extra money. Cork City now need to go gun hoe at this game and really bring it to Genk this is a huge tie and their is loads at stake for the winner here. Pity turners cross doesent hold more im sure the atmosphere will be great

hman231 wrote: »
    Congrats to Dundalk. Great result for the LOI, as a league if we want to improve we need more strong teams in it and I hope Dundalk invest in their stadium now with this extra money. Cork City now need to go gun hoe at this game and really bring it to Genk this is a huge tie and their is loads at stake for the winner here. Pity turners cross doesent hold more im sure the atmosphere will be great

Pity??????

Turners Cross is the biggest and best ground in the entire league!its on in the best venue possible

hman231 wrote: »

It's clearly the best stadium in the league. The atmosphere will be electric. When the X is full and rocking, it really is a special atmosphere, the best in the league !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Raoul

I presume he meant even more as in there is loads more people wanting to go.

Good luck tonight from Dundalk. Hopefully the league will have Dundalk in the Champions League and Cork in the Europa League. Nothing to fear with Genk! Should have at least gotten a draw last week and would have if not for the defender sleeping for a split second!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Hope the occasion isn't too much.

Last week was a refreshing performance as we don't see that freedom in our play very often.

The Dundalk template is to keep it tight and take the chance when it comes.

McSweeney was outmatched last week so Steven beattie will have to put in a big shift to dig him out.

Hope the occasion isn't too much.

Last week was a refreshing performance as we don't see that freedom in our play very often.

The Dundalk template is to keep it tight and take the chance when it comes.

McSweeney was outmatched last week so Steven beattie will have to put in a big shift to dig him out.

Steven Beattie hasnt trained all week and is not expected to make the game, which is a disaster. Genk very quickly last week realised that McSweeney was there to be got at, everything went down that wing with them, I expect the same tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Well that UCC was a waste of time, got there a bit before 11.45 (atleast I think) about 30 plus ahead of me, so I thought I'd be ok to get one. Problem was you could get 2 per person and I saw one person with 3. Common sense would dictate 1 per person with the demand. Sold out with a few people ahead of me still. I was so damn close!

Oh well my own fault should of got one earlier, I'll be in the evergreen drinking my ticket money watching the match. Hoping for another famous night :D

CHealy wrote: »
    Steven Beattie hasnt trained all week and is not expected to make the game, which is a disaster. Genk very quickly last week realised that McSweeney was there to be got at, everything went down that wing with them, I expect the same tonight.

Christ, imagine if Turner and Mcsweeney are on the right. We will be pillaged at will.

Beatties work rate and covering Mcsweeney has been incredible the last while.

• Advertisement

rob316 wrote: »
    Well that UCC was a waste of time, got there a bit before 11.45 (atleast I think) about 30 plus ahead of me, so I thought I'd be ok to get one. Problem was you could get 2 per person and I saw one person with 3. Common sense would dictate 1 per person with the demand. Sold out with a few people ahead of me still. I was so damn close!

Oh well my own fault should of got one earlier, I'll be in the evergreen drinking my ticket money watching the match. Hoping for another famous night :D

Gutted for you rob316 :(

I'd say you won't be on your own in the Evergreen though, and I suppose you have to be grateful that eir sports are showing the match on telly.

Don't understand how loyal fans could be without a ticket for this game. They were on general sale including online for the best part of 10 days. Laziness maybe?

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Don't understand how loyal fans could be without a ticket for this game. They were on general sale including online for the best part of 10 days. Laziness maybe?

In fairness to him:
    Gutted. All sold out.

I was away since up till yesterday and forgot about getting tickets, went down to the shop this morning, all gone.

Any hope of getting 2 anywhere?
    Didn't even know you could get them on ticketmaster, always bought outside the ground or had a season ticket

Finishing work at 5, heading straight to Beer Garden then into the Cross for 7 at the latest. Can't remember being this excited since the Glentoran game :D:D:D:D

Feeling quietly optimistic. 2-0 City

Disappointed with the way it went. Gave them way too much room and barely got a tackle in throughout the first half. McSeeney was lost, absolutely lost. Bolger wasn't right either.
    Much better second half , pressed them and put in some meaty tackles- exactly what was missing in the first half.
    Great crowd, just a pity we didn't score first, the place would have gone mental.

Genk fans certainly added to the atmosphere throughout.

Better team won, onto the league now!

Very poor first half. McSweeney as predicted was targeted and didn't disappoint them. A woeful display.

The right subs were made at HT and the team which started the 2nd half needs to start v Sligo on Monday. Gearoid was absolutely atrocious again tonight. Bolger looked injured which is worrying. Beattie was excellent. As was Garry Buckley. McGuire was his usual industrious self but no one helping him. Hope his tantrum at being subbed isn't a sign of him being unhappy.

Better team won. No complaints in that regard. But my god the officials. Especially that muppet lino on the Donie Firde side. As bad as any I've ever come across.

Onwards and upwards starting with a handy win over Sligo please.

Also just to note - the high point for me tonight was Brownes absolute halving of the Genk player late on. Fabulously late and violent :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

McSweeney and Buckley haven't got it. Bolger and McNulty very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Needed everyone to be on their game but it wasn't to be.

Oh for John Kavanagh/John Dunleavy to have stayed fit.

Still a league title to play for!

Galway's win over Dundalk means a win Monday night and we are 3 behind with a game in hand.

No European hangover please!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Galway's win over Dundalk means a win Monday night and we are 3 behind with a game in hand.

No European hangover please!!!

And a game vs them

Great result Galway

Home to Sligo Mon, then bohs on Friday. Away to Derry , home to Longford .....and then the big one!!

Sligo are in decent form so won't be a straight forward 3 points by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Sounded like Sligo Rovers were on fire last night. Hopefully they will be wrecked from the long trip to Wexford and then to Cork on Monday.

Minimum 10 points from next 4 games required. If not all 12 points.

I think Dundalk might struggle again against Bray Wanderers on Wednesday.

12 from 12 if we want to win the league imo. Derry will be tricky but the home games are all must win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭ROY RACE

A couple of new players are needed and get them fit-some of their fitness levels the other night was shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

ROY RACE wrote: »
    A couple of new players are needed and get them fit-some of their fitness levels the other night was shocking.

Who was unfit?

I agree though, two players on loan til the end of the season would be no harm. A big striker and a right sided defender.

kcb wrote: »
    Who was unfit?

I agree though, two players on loan til the end of the season would be no harm. A big striker and a right sided defender.

Unless Seany is leaving we don't need a CF. Marky might be small but he's the best target man out there! He plays that role better then anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

kcb wrote: »
    Sounded like Sligo Rovers were on fire last night. Hopefully they will be wrecked from the long trip to Wexford and then to Cork on Monday.

Minimum 10 points from next 4 games required. If not all 12 points.

I think Dundalk might struggle again against Bray Wanderers on Wednesday.

I heard we've stayed down in the south. So you're out of luck there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

Great European run, and hopefully next year we are seeded so we can get a easier draw but overall the club is definitely moving in the right direction. Also I would say the league as a whole is too with Dundalk really doing well and looking at building a new stadium. And I know Rovers were poor in Europe but some very good youth coming through their. Sligo will be tricky they haven't lost in ages and have Raf playing out of his skin so should be tricky and we need three points as Dundalk have dropped points and have a sticky away game to bray Wednesday. Also I hope Cork City and Cobh Ramblers reject the "20" euro a week from the FAI. Its an absolute joke and really is very insulting

Advertisement