Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City FC

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

hman231 wrote: »
    Great European run, and hopefully next year we are seeded so we can get a easier draw but overall the club is definitely moving in the right direction. Also I would say the league as a whole is too with Dundalk really doing well and looking at building a new stadium. And I know Rovers were poor in Europe but some very good youth coming through their. Sligo will be tricky they haven't lost in ages and have Raf playing out of his skin so should be tricky and we need three points as Dundalk have dropped points and have a sticky away game to bray Wednesday. Also I hope Cork City and Cobh Ramblers reject the "20" euro a week from the FAI. Its an absolute joke and really is very insulting

I agree that it is insulating, but given our setup with the new Glanmire facilities, City will keep their mouths shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

I understand that argument but the league as a hole should really reject this and really put pressure on the FAI. Its become a joke at this stage offering 20 euro a week to each club is just a condescending insult. The league as a hole needs to stand together on this issue and despite this new set up in Glanmire we still should reject it. Fair play to all involved in Derry City fc done the league proud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭bobdcow

I understand that argument but the league as a hole should really reject this and really put pressure on the FAI. Its become a joke at this stage offering 20 euro a week to each club is just a condescending insult. The league as a hole needs to stand together on this issue and despite this new set up in Glanmire we still should reject it. Fair play to all involved in Derry City fc done the league proud

Can I get some clarification before this gets legs of it's own and everyone says it's 20euro a week - is there anywhere stated that Cork are getting 20quid a week? Any literature I have read says FAI will allocate up to 5,000 to each club - at a rate of 20quid a week that's just over 1,000euro. The true weekly figure is 96euro a week - still absolutely miserly but it's nearly 5 times greater than the 20 euro being touted.

1000 euros we will receive per year for the next five years. 1000 divided by 52 weeks in the year =20 quid per week per club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭bobdcow

Wow - the articles I have read on it - go nowhere near 20 a week - they make it sound like a good deal, that is pathetic money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Derry rejected the money as they were expecting to get another €5,000 under the table such is their understanding of double entry in Stroke City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Really looking forward to tonight. Two months since a home league match is a long time. It feels like the new season! It wasn't nice to see us totally outclassed by a superior team on Thursday, but Dundalk finally running out of luck and losing to a team other than us has given our title aspirations a new lease of life. I haven't been this excited about a league match at the Cross since...well, our last league match at the Cross 9 weeks ago!
    1000 euros we will receive per year for the next five years. 1000 divided by 52 weeks in the year =20 quid per week per club

Did the FAI actually say that the €5,000 would be paid across five years? Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can see, the original statement said that the money would go towards a five year plan, not that it would be paid out over five years. It seems to me that a couple of people said that it'd be paid in tiny installments/€20 a week and everyone has just kinda run with it. I didn't hear it, but apparently Gavin said on the radio that this €100k for clubs was just the first installment. If true, this was possibly in reaction to the backlash, as it was originally stated as funding of "up to €5k".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Really looking forward to tonight. Two months since a home league match is a long time. It feels like the new season! It wasn't nice to see us totally outclassed by a superior team on Thursday, but Dundalk finally running out of luck and losing to a team other than us has given our title aspirations a new lease of life. I haven't been this excited about a league match at the Cross since...well, our last league match at the Cross 9 weeks ago!

Did the FAI actually say that the €5,000 would be paid across five years? Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I can see, the original statement said that the money would go towards a five year plan, not that it would be paid out over five years. It seems to me that a couple of people said that it'd be paid in tiny installments/€20 a week and everyone has just kinda run with it. I didn't hear it, but apparently Gavin said on the radio that this €100k for clubs was just the first installment. If true, this was possibly in reaction to the backlash, as it was originally stated as funding of "up to €5k".

Gavin was asked about the €100K on Radio1 and he said that this was just the start of what the clubs would get out of Euro 2016. He made no commitment to what might be coming so he could well have been spoofing. No LOI club is in the position to turn down €5K no matter who the source of the money is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Any guesses on what the attendance might be tonight? I think we'll be lucky to get 1,500 for a Monday night, even though we've not had a home league game for ages now.

Hopefully we'll be able to take advantage of Dundalk's slip up, although Sligo are on a roll at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Any guesses on what the attendance might be tonight? I think we'll be lucky to get 1,500 for a Monday night, even though we've not had a home league game for ages now.

Hopefully we'll be able to take advantage of Dundalk's slip up, although Sligo are on a roll at the moment.

It will be about 3000 give or take.

We very rarely drop below 2000 for a league game.

• Advertisement

gimmick wrote: »
    It will be about 3000 give or take.

We very rarely drop below 2000 for a league game.

Can't for a second believe we'll get anywhere near 3,000.

It's unusual to drop below 2,000, granted, but I just think that a Monday night sandwiched between last Thursday's game and another home game on Friday will mean a much lower than average attendance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Bad game to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Sligo had 7 yellows. Is that some sort of record?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

That team, and the teams of the last three years are nothing but bottlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Steven Beattie RB at home to Sligo Rovers.:o

Why play football when we can just hit aimless long balls up to Mark O'Sullivan all night.

More of the same from this JC side.

Absolute shambles. When you are hoping for Turner to turn a game you know you are in trouble.

Kudos to the manager and his team for such a successful transfer window.

Mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Very disappointing

We were mess first half. I have stuck by our manager, but we have awful habit of only being able play well for 1 half at cross

Absolutely awful. Everytime we have a chance to capitalise on Dundalk, we fail to take it. Limerick last year, Sligo/Wexford/Galway earlier this year, Rovers away in June. The same thing again and again and again.

That was our chance. I've no doubt that Dundalk will drop more points as the season goes on, but we will too. You just have to take your chance when it comes and these lads aren't good enough for it. If (when) we fall short of the line yet again, it'll be a long long time before we come close again by giving Dundalk another financial gap over us.

Always the bridesmaids springs to mind with city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Caulfield has done a lot right but I don't get the feeling he has what it takes to win a league, yet.

Tonight was a complete mess.

When City last won the league they always had a plan, they had shape, creativity, and guys who could score goals.

• Advertisement

kcb wrote: »
    Caulfield has done a lot right but I don't get the feeling he has what it takes to win a league, yet.

When City last won the league they always had a plan, they had shape, creativity, and guys who could score goals.

The spread of goals is actually quite poor. Also, we really need to be more attack minded, bang in 3 or 4 goals , something we can do if the team is allowed to. Too defensive minded.

Yet, how long more does he need?

Yet, how long more does he need?

Personally I would find someone else. If there is someone else.

City don't seem to be able to recruit outside the league anymore. A Danny Murphy or a Dan Murray...

We were very poor in the first half last night, but at least we came out with the right spirit in the second half. With a bit more luck and composure and we could have been level within the first 10 minutes.

City only ever seem to up their game when attacking the Shed. It's frustrating :mad:

Talking of frustrating, the antics of the Sligo players, dropping like flies and taking an eternity to "recover" was beyond a joke. Schlingermann's time wasting wasn't nearly as bad as the theatrics of his team mates, even though he was yellow carded eventually. I would be embarrassed if City ever resorted to such play acting, regardless of the result.

Having said that, Sligo were much sharper than City and probably deserved to win. We blew a great chance to close the gap last night, and I fear that we have blown the league now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Bottlers, a real weak mentality running through this side. Time and time again we fail to capitalize on dundalk dropping points. We will never win a title under JC with this cowardly football played.

We'll finish 2nd again but its where we should be considering the gap between us and the rest and dundalk above us.

I wouldn't be so negative, yes it was a huge opportunity missed but Dundalk playing Bray tonight could pose a difficult game for them and also we still have to pay them. But yes I agree very poor result but Bohs at home Friday should be a game where we can bounce back, need to just hope now that Dundalk give us a second bite at the cherry but doubt it. C'mon Bray

Best hope now is that Dundalk get over-stretched with the extra European games they have to play.

Come on Bray!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

made a cork city wallpaper if anyone is interested

681305499212190.jpg

Bray beat Dundalk 2-1 tonight

Opens the door again. We simply must beat Bohs Friday, no excuses.

Horgan scored, then got sent off at the end.

• Advertisement

City-Bohs Friday win and nothing else this is our chance and we must take it. Could be our last chance to win this league and Dundalk dont give up many so we need to just hammer Bohs

forget hammering them, would be happy with a scabby 1-0 win

forget hammering them, would be happy with a scabby 1-0 win

In theory yes, but Bohs are awful. Worst they have been in a long time. Our goal difference needs a boost.

BUT - 1-0 will do fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Fabio

Could do with a big win to lift heads in the dressing room and show the lads that YES they can do it.

I agree but a big comfortable home win would be a symbol from us to the league that we mean business and we are in it to win it. Dundalk will feel the pressure if we put it on them

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭rmchmufc

Cork City's games against Longford and Dundalk are to be shown on RTE and are kicking off at 19:45 and the game against Finn Harps has been rearranged for September 6th.

• Advertisement

In the name of sanity -- come on! Score!

Can't score at home to Bohs. :mad:

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

And now we are third. What a nonsense. :mad:

kiss goodbye to the league

An absolute disgrace. A shambles. Load of bollocks. Take your pick.

To a man they should be embarrassed with the shïte served up this week.

No one to blame but the players and manager. Boo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Time for Johnny C to go! Team of bottlers!

• Advertisement

Fúcking joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Not a peep on social media from city since FT

Thought we come out a put Bohs to the sword in the 1st half but it was more of the same.

Big improvement 2nd half but have to make it count on the scoreboard.

Disappointing week.:o

Move Caulfield "upstairs" out of the way of actual footballing matters, and get someone in who knows what they're doing.

City were gifted a golden opportunity with Dundalk losing back to back games but blew it. FFS! Even if we finish 2nd again -- it's getting tiresome being runners-up.

The way the lads are playing -- the FAI Cup is realistically our only hope of a trophy now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Move Caulfield "upstairs" out of the way of actual footballing matters, and get someone in who knows what they're doing.

Who are you going to get in mid season that will turn this all around?

This week has been nothing short of appalling. Bar the second 45 minutes against Sligo, it was a lethargic and gutless performance. To think that with a bit of bottle, we'd be level with Dundalk with a game in hand. We'll never get a better chance to win this league and we've just f*cked it up.

However, to sack the manager now would absolute madness. Just three weeks ago, we got past two rounds of Europe for the first time since 2005 and, for any LoI club, since 2012. Those results have led to a financial windfall equivalent to about 50% of the club's annual budget (not just player wages, but the total sum spent on running everything in the club). To sack a manager not even a month after the team achieved that because of a two-game winless "streak" is ludicrous. What kind of calibre of candidates will we attract if that's the kind of patience we show? They're humans too, they want a bit of security - they don't want to deal with the sh*t of joining a club where your job could be on the line weeks after a hugely successful period.

Long term, Caulfield might not be answer, but it'd be crazy to get rid of him right now.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »

Long term, Caulfield might not be answer, but it'd be crazy to get rid of him right now.

Agreed.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Who are you going to get in mid season that will turn this all around?

Forget about this season. It's down the drain.

But but the guy loose as soon as the season's over and get in someone else with plenty of time to sort things out.

The shame is I think the talent is there. Just no leadership.

Forget about this season. It's down the drain.

But but the guy loose as soon as the season's over and get in someone else with plenty of time to sort things out.

The shame is I think the talent is there. Just no leadership.

What utter nonsense. Not too long ago we weren't even in this league, now that we are in a strong position to finish second and a slim chance of winning it, with the cup to come aswell, you think the season is down the drain , mind boggling.

We are playing woeful ,yes, but there's a lot of football to play yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement