Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City FC

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    What utter nonsense. Not too long ago we weren't even in this league, now that we are in a strong position to finish second and a slim chance of winning it, with the cup to come aswell, you think the season is down the drain , mind boggling.

We are playing woeful ,yes, but there's a lot of football to play yet.

Utter utter nonsense!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

kcb wrote: »
    Forget about this season. It's down the drain.

Five points behind, a game in hand, still to play a Dundalk side whom we've beaten three times this season and in the FAI Cup. I don't think we'll win the league after this week's f*ck ups, but the season is far from down the drain.

The shame is I think the talent is there. Just no leadership.

If the talent is there, then why weren't we good enough to win either of the matches this week? The players have to start taking responsibility. Whatever happened to self-motivation? You should be able to pep yourself up for games that have the potential to set you up for a title-win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

What utter nonsense. Not too long ago we weren't even in this league, now that we are in a strong position to finish second and a slim chance of winning it, with the cup to come aswell, you think the season is down the drain , mind boggling.

We are playing woeful ,yes, but there's a lot of football to play yet.

You are everything that is wrong with the club.

"Sure look where we were 6 years ago", "Arent we lucky to have a club"

Fcuk that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

4 games in 12 days is tiresome, in comparison, Dundalk have lost 6 points due to fatigue, we've lost 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

4 games in 12 days is tiresome, in comparison, Dundalk have lost 6 points due to fatigue, we've lost 5.

We should not loose 5 points at home to Sligo and the worst bohs team ever. Ever.

But neither should Bray be beating the best LOI team ever supposedly, these things happen after a grueling European run where we performed better than expected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

CHealy wrote: »
    You are everything that is wrong with the club.

"Sure look where we were 6 years ago", "Arent we lucky to have a club"

Fcuk that.

A few short years ago we were in the first division...you can fcuk that if you want , but we were there and we were a shambles. Were you thinking then that we would be where we are now? Challenging for the league in back to back seasons, European exploits? Not many clubs have transformed themselves like city have. A lot could and have gone under. Again, you can fcuk that if you want but I prefer to be a bit more realistic.

Do we have some divine right to win everything? That we are city and teams should just roll over?
    A couple of wins , any kind of wins, will get us back in the league race. Derry are on a high, we are on a low, we do have a good record up there but I think a draw would not be a bad result.

Genralised Hyperbolic comments after a few bad results.....fcuk that.

A few short years ago we were in the first division...you can fcuk that if you want , but we were there and we were a shambles. Were you thinking then that we would be where we are now? Challenging for the league in back to back seasons, European exploits? Not many clubs have transformed themselves like city have. A lot could and have gone under. Again, you can fcuk that if you want but I prefer to be a bit more realistic.

Do we have some divine right to win everything? That we are city and teams should just roll over?
    A couple of wins , any kind of wins, will get us back in the league race. Derry are on a high, we are on a low, we do have a good record up there but I think a draw would not be a bad result.

Genralised Hyperbolic comments after a few bad results.....fcuk that.

"We are so lucky to have a club, lets not try to make progress for fear that we forget where we were 6 years ago"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We should not loose 5 points at home to Sligo and the worst bohs team ever. Ever.

True. But it's football, it happens. Leicester as champion should not have lost to Hull who only have about 14 professionals, but they did.

I know they were away games but Dundalk should not lose 6 points to teams below Sligo (Galway) and below the worst ever Bohs team ( Bray ). But they did.

There are always going to be ups and downs over a league season. It's just a pity we are not taking advantage of their down as ours is just as bad

• Advertisement

"We are so lucky to have a club, lets not try to make progress for fear that we forget where we were 6 years ago"

Where have I said that we are lucky to have a club? What are you going on about?

Let's not try to make progress?? What the absolute fcuk are you going on about. ??

I said we weren't even in this league, because we weren't .

Where have I said that we are lucky to have a club? What are you going on about?

I said we weren't even in this league, because we weren't .

It was exactly what you were saying and you know it.

Personally, I dont care where we were 6 years ago, I'll only remember the past if we do something worthwhile remembering, and that to me is winning the league and progressing further in European competitions. At the moment we are bottling winning the league, and its simply not good enough especially when the league, outside of Dundalk and at a stretch ourselves, is the worst its been in a long long time. Absolute criminal that we only picked up a point at home to Sligo and Bohs, unforgivable in the scheme of things. But if you are happy out with finishing runners up again, then you must be really enjoying the season so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Away to Derry tonight lets go and win it!

It was exactly what you were saying and you know it.

Personally, I dont care where we were 6 years ago, I'll only remember the past if we do something worthwhile remembering, and that to me is winning the league and progressing further in European competitions. At the moment we are bottling winning the league, and its simply not good enough especially when the league, outside of Dundalk and at a stretch ourselves, is the worst its been in a long long time. Absolute criminal that we only picked up a point at home to Sligo and Bohs, unforgivable in the scheme of things. But if you are happy out with finishing runners up again, then you must be really enjoying the season so far.

Ah, I see now, you assume things, fair enough. I know what I meant.

We were in a league below where we are now. There was absolutely no guarantee of coming out of it, it can be a graveyard for clubs, it could have been for us. Thankfully it didn't.

You only remember if we won something? Well how did we get out of the first division?

Happy with finishing second?? Of course I wouldn't be, don't be stupid. I am happy to be challenging and not following the many other clubs who have no chance at all.

You don't care where we were 6 years ago? Well I do. Sorry if that annoys you :rolleyes:

I am proud to remember all the years I have been following city, not just the ones we won something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Where we were 6 years ago is actually holding the club back as many seem to hark back to it as a means of tempering expectations. Remember, if it was not for us fans we would not be around today, so we as fans should expect the club to be operating at its very optimum.

The last 2 transfer windows have been a shambles. Bolger aside we signed nothing of any use. Dooley is getting a 50% mark at best. The likes of Turner and Mulcahy being signed is a dereliction of duty from the manager.

For the record, I do not think we will ever progress to being champions with FORAS being the soul "owner" of the club. I would love if it was a 49% stakeholder and we had some money man, like Dundalk have Fyffes, to supplement the 49%. I know this will never happen though mainly for 2 reasons. the first and main reason is this white knight does not exist. Secondly no board of FORAS will allow it happen.

Im rambling now :(

As fans we should expect the club to perform at optimum, but that's hard to achieve, it not an exact science. Mistakes in the transfer market happen, but when we sign a small number of players, ones that don't work out show up more.

Having a sugar daddy involved has pros and cons. The obvious ones are when it works, it really works, a la Dundalk but the wrong sugar daddy could leave us in a heap. I would also prefer to have some kind of partnership with foras but I don't see that happening in the near future.

• Advertisement

There are mistakes and there are the signings of Turner and Mulcahy.

Very true. But as a pool fan I could also give an extensive list of absolute shít players bought, for millions. Every club has them. Every club makes mistakes, utd sell pogba for nought and then but him back for how much? Unfortunately you need to buy a few duds before you buy a gem it seems.

Ah, I see now, you assume things, fair enough. I know what I meant.

We were in a league below where we are now. There was absolutely no guarantee of coming out of it, it can be a graveyard for clubs, it could have been for us. Thankfully it didn't.

You only remember if we won something? Well how did we get out of the first division?

Happy with finishing second?? Of course I wouldn't be, don't be stupid. I am happy to be challenging and not following the many other clubs who have no chance at all.

You don't care where we were 6 years ago? Well I do. Sorry if that annoys you :rolleyes:

I am proud to remember all the years I have been following city, not just the ones we won something.

Im immensely proud of what has happened and how it has happened over the last 6 years, but am I going to look back and hold onto it like its the be all and end all? Not in a million years. I was there at the Foras meetings through all the Arkaga/TNB drama, I was up in Derry when we got a fantastic 1-1 draw with 13 available players our first game as a fan owned club, I'll still be there if we were playing AUL ffs. Im not going to let that hold us back though, and Id never use it to consolidate our poor performances or our lack of bottle. I truly believe we can take LOI football to the next level, we are potentially the biggest club this island has ever seen, yet people are ok with Dundalk taking the reigns and "remembering" where we were a few years ago. Unfortunately, its a common theme with alot of City fans.

We have huge potential, but we've had it for a long long time. But potential is not enough. It's unfortunate that Dundalk have peaked in the last 2 years , but such is life. Dundalk are bringing the loi to the next level, of course it would have been great if it was us, but it's not.

I don't admire Dundalk but I am jealous of their success , in particular this year, fans should be jealous, it's something to aim for.

0-0 in Derry, very poor apparently. Surely the games with Longford will see us back to winning ways.

• Advertisement

That's 10 game I count without us scoring a goal not from a set piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

0-0 in Derry, very poor apparently. Surely the games with Longford will see us back to winning ways.

Yeah, I'd like to think so, but we were so poor against Sligo and Bohs (and apparently up in Derry too) that we can't take even the Longford game for granted :(

The whole "x games without a goal from open play" is such a meaningless stat. There's nothing at all wrong with scoring from a well worked set piece. The reason you generally get these kinds of set pieces and penalties in the first place is because of good attacking play. The biggest disappointment in the last three matches for me has been how sh*te the free kicks and corners have been. We've had loads of them, but we haven't really threatened. We had more than enough chances to nod in a few goals, but have done very little with them.

It's also harsh including the Europa League matches to make things look worse. Of course we're not going to score many in Europe, especially coming up against far superior sides like Genk. The five goals that we scored in this campaign is our highest since the Intertoto Cup run in 2004 (most of which came from set pieces, too) and the second best overall.

The thing is that you don't need to use such a specific stat to criticise the team. A much more damning stat, in my opinion, is that in the last five league matches (since the break), we've scored two goals and won six points. That's a goal every second game and a point every match. It's shocking form.

1 up after 5 mins, deflected free kick. Hopefully we can bang in a few goals tonight to get our confidence back in front of goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

1 up after 5 mins, deflected free kick. Hopefully we can bang in a few goals tonight to get our confidence back in front of goal.

Not from open play ? Useless :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

cork city 2-0 up now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

3-0

We are scoring from play again !!!!

And we conceeded from their only shot on target.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Great result lads!

Also happy to see another Cork team, Cobh Ramblers win (also 1-4). :)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Advertisement

sadly feel it will be be another good result that will have come too little too late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Mahony0509

sadly feel it will be be another good result that will have come too little too late

In the cup??

Mahony0509 wrote: »
    In the cup??

no I mean for team morale,
    the league is gone
    and dont think they have it in them to win the cup either

would obviously like to be proven wrong on both counts but wont hold my breath

Maybe we've had our bad patch and this is the result that gets us back to wininng ways, it sometimes happens like that.
    You never know.

dundalk losing like they did in europe actually did cork no favors either, as dundalk will now concentrate on the league and cant see them slipping up

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MisterBlue

dundalk losing like they did in europe actually did cork no favors either, as dundalk will now concentrate on the league and cant see them slipping up

That is not correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

AFAIK Dundalk still have more games in Europe.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭lukin

Dundalk are through to the group stages of the Europa League even if they are knocked out of the Champions League next week.That means they will have six games in the Europa League between September and the end of the year (15 September, 29 September, 20 October, 3 November, 24 November, and 8 December).
    This will distract them from the Airtricity League but they have a four point lead over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

The league is there to be won Friday home to Longford should really be a win considering their league position and then we play Dundalk, realistically that Dundalk game will be the big one and if we lose that its over pretty much. I think Dundalk will drop more points so we need to keep on winning. Great 1-4 win vs Longford in the cup now through to the last 8 and in with a shout of the final. Possibility of Cobh-City that'd be some game

• Advertisement

4 point sis nothing given ther's a third of the season still left. Even drawing with them in 2 weeks time wouldn't be a disaster.

Thanks to results in the Champions League going our way tonight, City U19s are nearly through to the UEFA Youth League. The YL is a 64 team competition. Half of those mirror the senior Champions League group stages. The other half consists of a knockout of the domestic champions of the top 32 ranked national leagues (based on the co-efficient ranking). The LoI is a bit below that, but as a number of domestic youth champions have already qualified via their senior team making the group stages, it means that they forfeit their places and it falls to the next ranked league. We need three results of five to go our way in the senior play-offs. Legia and Celtic were two of those. If one of Manchester City (won 5-0 away), APOEL (lost 1-0 away) and Ajax (drew 1-1 at home) win their play-off tie tomorrow, we're through. Barring a five goal turnaround in the City of Manchester Stadium, our European odyssey will continue!

It really is fantastic news and great for the club to be involved at that stage.

Rovers away in the cup

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Rovers away in the cup

Its just one disaster after another at the moment. Worse Rovers team I can remember in years and years and we still wont beat them at Tallaght.

First week of September reads like this:

2nd - Dundalk Away
    6th - Finn Harps Away
    9th - Shamrock Away

Over 2000k of travel in a week. And I remember a certain Rovers manager giving out to the media that he had to bring his team down to Cork on a Monday night.

Fúck the cup. Put out a weakened team for it and concentrate only on the league.

Just for the love of god, it had better not be a draw and a bloody replay.
    Its just one disaster after another at the moment. Worse Rovers team I can remember in years and years and we still wont beat them at Tallaght.

2nd - Dundalk Away
    6th - Finn Harps Away
    9th - Shamrock Away

Over 2000k of travel in a week. And I remember a certain Rovers manager giving out to the media that he had to bring his team down to Cork on a Monday night.

Add in Longford at home Fri 26th and Bray at Home Tuesday 30th.

5 games in 15 days with a very small squad. Tough ask.

• Advertisement

Glass is half full. We just have to play the hand we are dealt. Would be happy with a win or a draw away to Rovers. On a positive note John Kavanagh played 45 minutes last night.

Cape Clear wrote: »
    Glass is half full. We just have to play the hand we are dealt. Would be happy with a win or a draw away to Rovers. On a positive note John Kavanagh played 45 minutes last night.

Why would a draw which would incur a replay be a good thing?

gimmick wrote: »
    Why would a draw which would incur a replay be a good thing?

Because it would mean we didnt lose. I'm not a fúck the cup kind of guy.
    Hard to do the double if we are out of the cup ;)

Fair point.

I guess it comes down to how the previous 4 league games go.

I despise the term "game management". never heard of it before this season, now everyone seems to use it. But if ever there was a time to use it it is now.

Longford are rubbish, so hopefully we can blitz them early doors Friday, and the players can go throught he motions for the remainder. Ditto Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

2nd - Dundalk Away
    6th - Finn Harps Away
    9th - Shamrock Away

It's the price you have to pay for being successful. The alternative is not being in contention for anything (Galway, Sligo, Bohs etc)

Fwiw: Dundalk last played a home league match on 5th July, and the next one is the City match on 2nd Sept. It's not easy but 10 clubs would gladly swop with either of us.

• Advertisement
Advertisement