Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City FC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Good performance for 90 min was welcome change.

Pity about small crowd but with schools opening and just bad time of week was expected plus likes of Bray and Longford ain't going pull huge numbers sadly

gimmick wrote: »
    So. Bray were pretty sh te eh!!!

So were Bohs and that worked out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

Was at the match last night and it could of been a bigger scoreline, absolutely destroyed Bray, I didn't think it would be as easy! they'd one clear opportunity cleared off the line, onward and upward :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Great performance last night, thats more like it.

I will say something though, bringing on Mulchahy, Healy and O'Sullivan who have a combined age of well over 100, when we were 4-0 up was criminal. You have young fellas on the bench, in particular Ogbene who is just biting at the chance to make the step up from u19 and they dont get a sniff. That was really disappointing and I think if they kept going we would have won 6 or 7 nil, further closing that goal difference to Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

CHealy wrote: »
    Great performance last night, thats more like it.

I will say something though, bringing on Mulchahy, Healy and O'Sullivan who have a combined age of well over 100, when we were 4-0 up was criminal. You have young fellas on the bench, in particular Ogbene who is just biting at the chance to make the step up from u19 and they dont get a sniff. That was really disappointing and I think if they kept going we would have won 6 or 7 nil, further closing that goal difference to Dundalk.

It was strange, I really don't get why he didn't bring on the younger guys, maybe healy with them would of still sure'd things up in front of the defence if he was worried about a highly unlikely comeback from Bray!

• Advertisement

CorkColin wrote: »
    It was strange, I really don't get why he didn't bring on the younger guys, maybe healy with them would of still sure'd things up in front of the defence if he was worried about a highly unlikely comeback from Bray!

Especially seeing as Dooley couldn't finish his dinner, get Ogbene on for him and I guarantee we would have scored another goal. Iv been watching him since his time with Everton and then City u19's and we really need to make use of him before he goes to England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Rebel Boy

Good win and good to get the goal difference up a bit. Pity the Dundalk game Friday is postponed as the confidence would of gone up a bit with last nights win. Onwards and upwards from here hopefully.

Good win and good to get the goal difference up a bit. Pity the Dundalk game Friday is postponed as the confidence would of gone up a bit with last nights win. Onwards and upwards from here hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Great performance and great to put back to back wins together after that blip. Think we might have taken a bit for granted against Sligo and Bohs after a few weeks of really upping our game in Europe, so it was good to see the lads working hard for the win last night.

Was fairly bemused at the subs at the time, thought Ogbene should definitely have come on. At the same time, though, Mulcahy and Marky are first back up options and Healy is next in line after Bolger/Holohan/Buckley/Morrissey. 5th choice, but when you play three in the middle, a couple of injuries and suspensions don't be long making it necessary to go that low in the order. We have to be giving them a bit of game time coming into a tough period starting with the Cup in a week and a half, where we'll need to rotate the squad a bit. It's not like we went backs to the wall after they came on, anyway. Late on, we hit the bar, had one cleared off the line, a shot just wide by Shepp, a couple of Dooley one and ones, one that went well over, the other that was saved very well etc. Thought Healy looked a lot sharper as well when he came on. Wasn't good at all against Bohs, but it seems getting a bit more game time has done him no harm. Some of his passes were very good.

Either way, great to boost the goal difference by four. Only 6 away from Dundalk's now, albeit with a game in hand. I'd imagine with their European games and fixture congestion, they'll be scraping 1-0s in the type of match that they'd have won by 3 or 4 earlier in the season. What looked like a bullet proof goal difference not so long ago doesn't be long getting chipped away at.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

went to check the result on RTE sport

What in the blue_**** have they done to their site, its atrocious

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Dundalk throw away a 2-0 lead. Now 2-2. Come one Bohs!

Edit:
    WTF? Phantom scorelines again. Actual score is 1-2. :(

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

At least Derry and Rovers both draw.

At least we gained 5 goals on them in the last two matches, cutting their goal difference between us from 12 to 7. They're winning games by the odd goal that they would've won by a few earlier this year/in 2015 and we have a few matches left that we're capable of winning by a few (touch wood). Real chance if it ends up level on points that we could have a better goal difference.

Apparently they're trying to get a 48 hour extension on the league. We should fight this tooth and nail. The FAI already gave them enough favours by going against their own rules and rejigging two other games to allow them to ease their congestion (and f*ck Wexford over in the process). They're supposed to be impartial, not give a leg up to one particular team. Rovers had the exact same kind of congestion in 2011, except that they had two away EL group games during the season instead of Dundalk's one. The FAI didn't help them out with rejigging other teams' games or extending the season. Rovers just had to get on with it, even playing twice in three days. There's no reason why the FAI should be doing it this time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

They have no fixture in EL last week of the season so they will hopefully told to hop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Lads, where are you getting this information? Extending the league by 48 hours makes no sense at all. Dundalk are due to play Galway at home in their last league match on Fri 28th October. They are due to play in St Petersburg on Thursday 3rd November. What benefit would a 24 hour extension to Sunday 30th October bring? Bigger worry up here is the two owners might be getting 'advise' to take the money and run.

joeysoap wrote: »
    Lads, where are you getting this information? Extending the league by 48 hours makes no sense at all. Dundalk are due to play Galway at home in their last league match on Fri 28th October. They are due to play in St Petersburg on Thursday 3rd November. What benefit would a 24 hour extension to Sunday 30th October bring?

I would imagine all the final series of league games would be moved to the Sunday, to allow Dundalk to fit another match in during that week. So, they could have a fixture arrangement like this:

Thursday 20th: Europa League match

Sunday 23rd: league match moved from the previous Friday

Wednesday 26th/Thursday 27th: re-arranged league match from earlier in the season

Sunday 30th: final league match moved from the previous Friday.

Instead of having to go Thursday-Sunday-Tuesday-Friday. Or, more likely, freeing up the space and preventing them having to play this kind of run of games the couple of weeks before, as I can't see them leaving it 'til the last week to have a fixture arrangement like that.

If Dundalk make it to the Cup semi-final, another league match will be moved. I don't think that they'd be able to do anything to prevent a two-match-in-three-days situation without the season being extended.
    Bigger worry up here is the two owners might be getting 'advise' to take the money and run.

Is it just gossip or is there a real feeling that they might be happy to walk away with their "bonus"?

Thanks Paz, can see the logic behind that and I do agree that it's a big imposition on the other clubs,hopefully we can squeeze the matches in before then.

There's certainly a story going the rounds that a member of a previous board at Oriel has stated the smart thing for the two owners to do would be to take the money and go. Everybody here knows it's going to need real leadership to either redevelop Oriel or go greenfield and these two guys haven't done much wrong to date.

And just in case your wondering; if we don't win it there's no one else but City I would like to win it, and barring a fall we have it between us this year.

Jeez. There was 5 goals scored in the Pats v Dundalk U17 match today - between the 88th minute and full time. Pats won 11 - 2.

Apologies I meant to post this in the 'other' thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

joeysoap wrote: »
    Jeez. There was 5 goals scored in the Pats v Dundalk U17 match today - between the 88th minute and full time. Pats won 11 - 2.

One of the Pats lads scored 7!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

This is really our year I think Dundalk will only be stronger next year. Rovers Friday is a big game but realistically the League is what we want Dundalk will drop points i reckon great chance for us to win it

hman231 wrote: »
    This is really our year I think Dundalk will only be stronger next year. Rovers Friday is a big game but realistically the League is what we want Dundalk will drop points i reckon great chance for us to win it

I agree. Getting knocked out of the cup this year wouldnt be the worst thing in the world in my eyes. Concentrate on the league.

I agree. Getting knocked out of the cup this year wouldnt be the worst thing in the world in my eyes. Concentrate on the league.

Careful now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Down with that sort of thing.

Careful now.
    Cape Clear wrote: »
    Down with that sort of thing.

Nicely worked.

Nicely worked.

TBF it was a pin point cross from gimmick the keeper could do nothing.....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I know some people are not too pushed about the cup ,but I am.

Nothing like hammering that shower to keep our momentum going.

Roll on Friday !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

:eek::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I know some people are not too pushed about the cup ,but I am.

Nothing like hammering that shower to keep our momentum going.

Roll on Friday !!!

Great result... As you said especially against that shower!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

same again in the league hopefully

I guess few Cork City fans are upset we are still in Cup

For most of us last night was a terrific night for club. Great result

A few more of those thumping victories and we can close the goal diff gap.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Worztron wrote: »
    A few more of those thumping victories and we can close the goal diff gap.

Agreed, but the points gap is the one I'm worried about :(

Maybe Harps can do us a favour tonight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭hman231

Dundalk 1-0 Harps. I think our poor results during the time when Dundalk were dropping points will cost us like the 0-0 at home with Bohs. Hope Harps can claw their way back but if Dundalk win this and go 10 points clear it looks like the title is 90% theirs bar a miracle. Some result vs Rovers this cork city team is really really good and would win the league any other year just a pity the best ever LOI side is in the league atm

We need a huge couple of months now.

We can still do it, but we need just keep winning. A free flowing team like last Friday could do well

• Advertisement

Away to Pats in the semi. Glad its Pats, shame its not a full house at home though.

Both ties played the Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I'm not writing off the league just yet, but I can't see Dundalk hitting another rough patch this season.

So the cup seems to be our best chance of silverware this year, although this must be the highest quality last four in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

Think there was a similar trail of thought in '05, that City had thrown it away losing to Pats but came back to beat Derry in the last game of the season, Stephen Kenny was managing Derry at that time too I think.

Does anyone know the exact date in 1984 that CCFC was founded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

• Advertisement

20th of October? Good man.

But the CCFC twitter account has the hash tag #CCFC84 and also 1984 is in the emblem on the CCFC website as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

16/9/84 was the first game, but I think the club was elected into the league in August '84 at an FAI AGM i think.

16/9/84 was the first game, but I think the club was elected into the league in August '84 at an FAI AGM i think.

The FAI AGM was held in Bundoran that year.http://www.irishexaminer.com/viewpoints/yourview/cheers-to-cork-city-and-their-rebel-army-on-30-year-league-milestone-295788.html

We were elected into the League on the 1st of July 1984. I dunno when the first friendly match was. First competitive game was the 19th of August against Avondale United in the Munster Senior Cup (2-1 win). Our first league match was away to Dundalk (1-0 loss) on the 16th of September as Snaffles said above. First home league match was against Waterford United (3-1 win according to Extratime - they can sometimes have incorrect scores/tables when going back a bit, though) on the 23rd of September. Coincidentally, our first home league match as a fans-owned club was against Waterford United, as well.

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    We were elected into the League on the 1st of July 1984. I dunno when the first friendly match was. First competitive game was the 19th of August against Avondale United in the Munster Senior Cup (2-1 win). Our first league match was away to Dundalk (1-0 loss) on the 16th of September as Snaffles said above. First home league match was against Waterford United (3-1 win according to Extratime - they can sometimes have incorrect scores/tables when going back a bit, though) on the 23rd of September. Coincidentally, our first home league match as a fans-owned club was against Waterford United, as well.

Just another coincidence Ian Turners father played in our first game in 1984 Ian also played in our first FORAS Co OP game away to Derry IIRC

Huge huge huge game tonight. Anything but 3 points and there is no way back. Hopefully we will batter them in a similar fashion to last week.

Huge huge huge game tonight. Anything but 3 points and there is no way back. Hopefully we will batter them in a similar fashion to last week.

Hear hear. Hopefully Dundalk (congrats to them on a great EL result) will have a European hangover and stumble again in the league. We can not afford any more slip-ups.

Buzzing for tonight. I really love when they come to town, there's always an extra edge to these games. Hopefully we can score early and keep putting the pressure on. Weather looks pretty good so there should be a very nice crowd.
    Can't wait !!!!!

This game and Chelsea V Liverpool both being on TV will hit the crowd hard Id say.

• Advertisement
Advertisement