Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cork City FC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

This is surreal, I watched the first half on the betting stream and City were poor, it froze on me for the start of the second half so i gave up and we end up winning 3 nil. What a start, its all a bit mad really, and in a sick kind of way, im glad Maguire didnt score seeing as Preston were over looking at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

Phenomenal start to the season. Delighted for John Caulfield because he's put a lot into this project.

Next week will be a tough match but City are a notch above everyone else at the moment. It's amazing to watch.

It's not often a group of lads this talented, motivated, unified and, most importantly, understanding of what City means to Cork people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

City are a class act. I wonder if 10 in a row is a league record (and not just a club record).

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Worztron wrote: »
    City are a class act. I wonder if 10 in a row is a league record (and not just a club record).

15 wins by Bohemians in 1923/24 season is the record.

City can achieve 16 at home to Shamrock Rovers at the end of May. The following week they play Dundalk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

CHealy wrote: »
    This is surreal, I watched the first half on the betting stream and City were poor, it froze on me for the start of the second half so i gave up and we end up winning 3 nil. What a start, its all a bit mad really, and in a sick kind of way, im glad Maguire didnt score seeing as Preston were over looking at him.

In fairness they can watch his goals on a highlight reel. They'll have been over to watch his skills, movement off the ball etc. Not important to score in front of scouts, they're judging your football brain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Worztron wrote: »

From The 42:
    John Caulfield’s men are now just one win away from matching Shamrock Rovers, whose 11 wins in 1965/66 is the best start in post-war history.

http://www.the42.ie/cork-dundalk-league-of-ireland-3353181-Apr2017/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Touch wood. Don't want to jinx anything but this is an amazing start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭Shedite27

11 would be a big benchmark - means you've beaten everyone in the league

impressive also that 6 of the 10 wins have been away from home

They'll end up playing one more away game than home games this season

But possibly crucially they have Dundalk and Bray at home twice (away once)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Good to see the lads out enjoying themselfs over the weekend with a few beers! There seems to be a great togetherness in them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Good to see the lads out enjoying themselfs over the weekend with a few beers! There seems to be a great togetherness in them!

Whatever happens they need to keep Nults away from the microphone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

You seem to be ignoring the fact that he's contracted to Cork City until mid November. If he's to go during the summer it will need to be a serious offer to City, and given past robberys, id be slapping a 1 million price tag on him, otherwise they'll have to wait.

RTE reporting he has a €150k buyout clause in his contract. Granted it's RTE so pinch of salt and all that, but at that level reckon he'll be gone in the summer. Preston sniffing around a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

namloc1980 wrote: »
    RTE reporting he has a €150k buyout clause in his contract. Granted it's RTE so pinch of salt and all that, but at that level reckon he'll be gone in the summer. Preston sniffing around a lot.

If true I would imagine there is only a clause as Maguire insisted on it or he would not sign on. So the club would have had no choice. I know I would have acted the same as both parties too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

gimmick wrote: »
    If true I would imagine there is only a clause as Maguire insisted on it or he would not sign on. So the club would have had no choice. I know I would have acted the same as both parties too.

Ah yeah, that's pretty much a certainty to be fair.

Wilberto wrote: »
    Ah yeah, that's pretty much a certainty to be fair.

So people need to stop whinging and be glad we have him for at least half a season.

But the CCFC fans way is to immediately assume incompetence was the reason.

If City can win tomorrow night they'll have 33 points from 11 games.

78 is the most points got in the last few years so that should do this year.

That means 45 points from 22 games.

About 10 of them are with Maguire if he stays until July.

The aim should be to win them all!

Regardless of Maguire I think what is critical this year is to sign 2 top players in July. A centre half and a striker.

Griffin needs to step up soon as I can't see Delaney's loan being extended. Imo he has been absolute class. Cool and calm at all times.

Griffin needs to step up soon as I can't see Delaney's loan being extended. Imo he has been absolute class. Cool and calm at all times.

I think Griffin needs to watch out for KOC's shirt as he'll move soon too! I think if Burton call Back Ryan Deleany we need a new cb straight off!

*edit why can't you see his loan extended?

I think Griffin needs to watch out for KOC's shirt as he'll move soon too! I think if Burton call Back Ryan Deleany we need a new cb straight off!

*edit why can't you see his loan extended?

Because Burton will want him back.

Griffin is a LB, he's cover for KOC not Delaney. We have to sign a top CB in the summer, that should be a priority whether Delaney goes back to Burton or not.

We have been in contact with Rory Gaffney who's contract runs out at Bristol Rover in the summer.......apparently. Caulfield also trying to get Drennan back to full time football with us.

• Advertisement

Griffin is a LB, he's cover for KOC not Delaney. We have to sign a top CB in the summer, that should be a priority whether Delaney goes back to Burton or not.

We have been in contact with Rory Gaffney who's contract runs out at Bristol Rover in the summer.......apparently. Caulfield also trying to get Drennan back to full time football with us.
    Are they both rumors from another board or are they from a good source?

Are they both rumors from another board or are they from a good source?

Gaffney is only a rumour from a journalist Limerick fan. Drennan was confirmed by the man himself that Caulfield wanted him, but he needs to make sure that his head is in the right place. He's playing with Evergreen in Kilkenny at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Looking forward to another great crowd tonight and hopefully a win. I reckon there will very more goals than normal, I think city will have to start at a higher tempo than normal, second gear won't do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Looking forward to another great crowd tonight and hopefully a win. I reckon there will very more goals than normal, I think city will have to start at a higher tempo than normal, second gear won't do.

I was thinking the same thing. Bray haven't really done defending this season! They look very dangerous going forward.

Except you know now that it'll probably turn out to be a 1-0 win for City. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I will certainly take 1-0 but I highly doubt it will happen, 3-1 hopefully.

I predict 3-2 to City. ⚽️ ⚽️ ⚽️

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Missing tonight's game. Ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

1 up already, keep it up :D

Get in there!!

Great win and with Finn Harps at home next week we really should be winning again.

Oh......and well in Galway !!

• Advertisement

Get in there!!

Great win and with Finn Harps at home next week we really should be winning again.

We are closing in on the all-time LOI league wins in a row record -- I think it's 15 by Bohs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I've said it before on this thread, and I'll say it again, that's the league over.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I've said it before on this thread, and I'll say it again, that's the league over.

I've said it before on this thread, it's a marathon not a sprint.

But we could never have imagined we would get off to such an amazing start and for dundalk to be off the boil so much. But with seanie possibly/probably not around in a few months , few injuries to key players , Europe etc, things could change, especially if and when dundalk get their mojo back.

That said, I don't think we will ever get a better opportunity to win the league and absolutely no one would say we didn't deserve it!
    If we lose it from this position we will only have ourselves to blame.

McCormack was seriously good tonight, he is fast becoming a very very important player for us.

Amazing result again tonight to see 11 wins in a row. Hopefully the break won't affect the momentum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I've said it before on this thread, it's a marathon not a sprint.

But we could never have imagined we would get off to such an amazing start and for dundalk to be off the boil so much. But with seanie possibly/probably not around in a few months , few injuries to key players , Europe etc, things could change, especially if and when dundalk get their mojo back.

That said, I don't think we will ever get a better opportunity to win the league and absolutely no one would say we didn't deserve it!
    If we lose it from this position we will only have ourselves to blame.

McCormack was seriously good tonight, he is fast becoming a very very important player for us.

The most impressive thing about McCormack is his constant talking, organising, and f**king fellas out of it. If his team mates aren't doing what they should, he will tell them straight away. It leads to some animated discussions on the pitch but it keeps everyone on their toes. Reminds me of Roy Keane. He has future captain written all over him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

NIMAN wrote: »

Yes, it is. Congrats to City, that start would have blown opponents away every year.

• Advertisement

Roar wrote: »
    The most impressive thing about McCormack is his constant talking, organising, and f**king fellas out of it. If his team mates aren't doing what they should, he will tell them straight away. It leads to some animated discussions on the pitch but it keeps everyone on their toes. Reminds me of Roy Keane. He has future captain written all over him.

That's the first thing that struck me greatly the first time I saw him play. I think he seems to suffer from small man syndrome! :pac:

Delighted to see him get motm, as he's probably deserved it in every other game as well where he's played centrally. :)

The Cann table below. Unbelievable gap at the top. 12 points between first and second. 13 points between second and bottom.

It's been an amazing run so far. And although if City were 12 behind, I'd probably be throwing in the towel myself, it's far from over. We're only a third of the way through the season. There are 66 points to play for. Although unlikely, there's still a long way to go and a lot to play for to overturn the deficit. In 2011 in the First Division, we were 10 points behind Shels with 11 games to go (and 8 plus a game in hand for them) and we won it by a point. In 2005, we were 10 points ahead of Derry with 12 games left. Going into the final game of the season, we were a point behind. We ended up winning it on the last day, but it shows how quickly things can change. We've been both the team that have hunted down a big lead and the team that were caught, so we only know too well.

I'll be savouring every bit of this. I'll be enjoying the entertaining games, the goals and the wins while they last. I'll probably never get to experience something like this again. But until it becomes a mathematical certainty, I won't be celebrating any league.

Points Team [GD] (games in hand)
    33 Cork City [23]
    21 Dundalk [9]; Bray Wanderers [6]
    16 Limerick [5]
    15 Derry City [4] (+1)
    13 Shamrock Rovers [-3]; Drogheda United [-8]; Bohemians [-9]
    11 Finn Harps [-6]
    10 Sligo Rovers [-8]
    9 St Patrick's Athletic [-7]
    8 Galway United [-6] (+1)

Posted by Paz-CCFC in the loi thread, couldn't have said it better!

Good 2-0 win today Ellis and Dooley.
    8 changes from the lge and 7 for Pats.
    About 1800 which is not bad, but the winning feeling continues.

Looking forward to Fridays game and surely another 5k ish crowd to roar on our 12 straight victory hopefully!

Good 2-0 win today Ellis and Dooley.
    8 changes from the lge and 7 for Pats.
    About 1800 which is not bad, but the winning feeling continues.

Looking forward to Fridays game and surely another 5k ish crowd to roar on our 12 straight victory hopefully!

Don't want to jinx it but fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭corkonion

5-0 tonight for win number 12 out of 12, and Maguire scored twice. Incredible! And a crazy statistic, points wise, the second placed team on the table are closer to the bottom placed team than they are to cork city

• Advertisement

We were due to hockey someone and we certainly did!

12 on the Spin!

Things are looking very rosy.

14 points and 22 goals clear. This is just getting embarrassing! :pac:

In true City fan style though, I keep asking myself "How are we going to f*** this up?" :pac:

Wilberto wrote: »
    In true City fan style though, I keep asking myself "How are we going to f*** this up?" :pac:

This is it!
    It's an unusual feeling being so far ahead at the top!

If we can (and we should) beat Galway, Drogheda and Sligo in the next three games we should have a full house for the game against Shamrock Rovers on 26th May to see this team create history

Might take some flak for this but I kind of hope we sabotage ourselves in Europe and just go balls out for the league. Then have a proper crack with Europe next year.

Delighted with last night again. There is an intensity in this team I've not seen before. Even in 2005 I'm not sure the team were this focussed.

And just a random thought. The midfield. Remember 2 years ago our midfield had Liam Miller and Gavan Hoolahan.

⚽️ ⚽️ ⚽️ ⚽️ ⚽️ #CCFC84

I see Nanetti has left, looking for more time on the pitch.

I see Nanetti has left, looking for more time on the pitch.

No shock after his cup
    Performance but best of luck to him

No shock after his cup Performance but best of luck to him

To be fair, he started poorly but grew into the game a little bit more as the game went on.

Still not great but nobody was that day!

Best of luck to him though. It was always going to be tough to break into a team that's on such a great run and nobody could have foreseen this run from City. I'm sure there's a decent player in there somewhere though.

:)

Good to see Cobh Wanderers reach the Intermediate cup final over the weekend with Devine in goal, final in the Aviva next weekend.

How did that gurrier Ethan Boyle not get sent off in Cork Citys game against Finn Harps?

Watch from 2:50: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sac02538aVs

• Advertisement
Advertisement