Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Games Design course entry help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Dboy85

Hey, if this is the course you are talking about then I can be of help. I've just finished 3rd year but from your op it sounds like you are looking for a different course. The one I have linked, and as far as I know is the only games course in ITC, is a technical development course.

By that I mean we don't focus on artwork, modelling or overall design but rather the technical side of development. It is an intense physics based programming course. In saying that though we had a module in second year that was an introduction to modelling but that was just so we had an understanding so we could use the models provided by a games designer.

There are numerous courses around that you can also have a look at which might be what you want and might have less of an entry requirement. There is a list here that may be of interest.

With regards to waiting until you are a mature student to apply, that's the road I took to get on the course. I took a good few years out chasing women and having the craic and I wouldn't be put off by being a 27 year old grad. In a way you will be coming out into a sector with high demand of developers and you will be surrounded in opportunities. Games developing in Ireland is only starting to take of now so in a few years when your finished you'll be laughing.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you all the best. Games development is a great career choice and if you are looking for a technical role then Carlow IT games dev is the course for you. Have a look at my thread about software development here. I give a run down of everything I have come across on the course so far it might give you an idea if the course is for you.

Advertisement