Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats behaviour

• 21-03-2012 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

We have a cat for the last 3 and a half months- we adopted him at the end of dec - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76225507 (link includes previous information)

He was an apparant indoor cat until we got him- but he loves going outside- hes never been much of a hunter but friday gone we saw him for the 1st time chasing a mouse in the garden, we let him be as its a learning experience for him- and hed be a great way to stop rodents in the future.

Long story short as my husband was watching him a stray jumped out of the bush - grabbed the mouse and ran off. Our cat chased him but (as hes never left the garden yet) stopped at the wall

Since then hes been really weird- moping really- its quite odd... he wont go outside, and when i carried him out he screeched and ran inside again.

could this be linked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MsQuinn

Probably. My male cat becomes housebound for a while when he gets a fright. It can be from a dog or person chasing him - or another cat showing his dominance.

About a year ago he wouldn't leave the house for about 2 weeks - he eventually went out but stayed around the yard. Took him a while to go further a field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Since then hes been really weird- moping really- its quite odd... he wont go outside, and when i carried him out he screeched and ran inside again.
    If it was a human male, I'd say his ego was hurt when the other cat took his "prize", but as it's a cat, I'm not sure. What MsQuinn said makes sense, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

MsQuinn wrote: »
    Probably. My male cat becomes housebound for a while when he gets a fright. It can be from a dog or person chasing him - or another cat showing his dominance.

thats the odd part- he has had fights in the yard with a few stray cats (who got the idea when we were cat-less that it was their territory) and he was fine- he would chase them out of the yard and strut in the door like a war hero (lol)

But its since then hes been weird- he went outside for about a half hour today- but the minute a stray jumped up on the garden wall he freaked and started screaming at the back door *

*we have cameras at our back and front entrances as we live in a rough area (so we saw it- we dont watch him 24/7)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

i read some of the other thread you linked and it sounds like the cat is traumatised, therefore lacking in confidence

sounds like the element of surprise is whats upset him here...from what i can tell anyway

a friend of mine has two cats, one a big fat self-assured arrogant (in a good way!) cat and the other a skinny, fairy-like little bag of nerves

she was telling me one day how looking out the window she saw a ball come flying into the garden making both the cats leap with fright and charge inside
    2 minutes later the big fat guy was back out pottering around but the nervous one had to be held and cuddled for hours before settling again

my mum has two toms at her house and when the neighbourhood bully comes around she runs out with a water pistol!

best of luck with it...sounds like youre doing an amazing job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

lolo62 wrote: »
    i read some of the other thread you linked and it sounds like the cat is traumatised, therefore lacking in confidence

sounds like the element of surprise is whats upset him here...from what i can tell anyway

a friend of mine has two cats, one a big fat self-assured arrogant (in a good way!) cat and the other a skinny, fairy-like little bag of nerves

she was telling me one day how looking out the window she saw a ball come flying into the garden making both the cats leap with fright and charge inside
    2 minutes later the big fat guy was back out pottering around but the nervous one had to be held and cuddled for hours before settling again

my mum has two toms at her house and when the neighbourhood bully comes around she runs out with a water pistol!

best of luck with it...sounds like youre doing an amazing job :)

thanks for your reply

ya there are so many strays im sick of running out with water- and it doesnt seem to phase them at all. i thought cats hated water but after spraying them they stroll back in :(

he is back to his usual self anyway- and has even started hunting- he brought 2 mice to the door last week and i was so proud of him:) considering he was an indoor cat till we got him

• Advertisement
Advertisement