Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the best Value power tools for Cabinet making??

Options
  • 21-03-2012 1:06am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32

Just starting out cabinet making and was looking to see what all ye chippys think are the best makes to stick with when it comes to power tools,and what are the essential tools for that trade?? And for the best value and suppliers too,im in the midlands in between portlaois,thurles and kilkenny!!! love to hear everyones thoughts....wana start getting some tools together...Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Froggyman wrote: »
    Just starting out cabinet making and was looking to see what all ye chippys think are the best makes to stick with when it comes to power tools,and what are the essential tools for that trade?? And for the best value and suppliers too,im in the midlands in between portlaois,thurles and kilkenny!!! love to hear everyones thoughts....wana start getting some tools together...Thanks.

Festool all the way! They make life so much easier and combined with the dust extractor so much healthier as well!

Iv moved almost all my dewalt over to festool and it's the best decision I ever made!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

;) I presume you mean power tools and not machinery.?
    I've been doing cabinetmaking for a hobby for 20 years and have learnt this:
    Budget tools are a waste of time and money. Save up and buy a good brand. Its a joy everytime you pick one up, knowing it will do the job.
    I generally stick to Makita being bulletproof and having a huge range.
    My best buys have been 1. a Milwaukee mitre saw because of its digital readout.Try reading 22.5 degrees off a metal scale and you will weep with frustration.
    2.A Mirka 125mm random orbital sander using the abranet discs with dust extraction.This is a 400 watt dc motor which comes with a transformer. Not cheap but the first dust free sander I've used.
    3.A Pansonic 15v driver ( not a drill unless you use hexagon mounted drill bits ) These drivers have a lithium battery which seems to go on on forever,
    have a clutch which engages under load and are nice and light - a quality appreciated if you are picking it up 50 times a day.
    Most of my other tools are Makita which have never failed me. The list is however as long as your wallet will stretch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32 Froggyman

Never heard of festool or where do you buy them...and i agree bout the buying cheap tools too..ud only end up replacing them!

:rolleyes: Festool are a top of the range German company. Their products are great but are about three times the cost of comparable tools.
    They don't allow discounting so shopping around is pointless.
    See the Festool Domino - the only 'all in one' morticing power tool on the market.

Just looked at festool website..very very expensive!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭wwwboof

get a festool ts55 plunge saw there 55o euro new with a 3 year guarantee you wont need a table saw best piece of kit i have ever bought and well worth the money

you also get the guide rails with it.:D

wwwboof wrote: »
    get a festool ts55 plunge saw there 55o euro new with a 3 year guarantee you wont need a table saw best piece of kit i have ever bought and well worth the money

you 9also get the guide rails with it.:D
    just had a look there it looks very impressive,do ya get the stand with it!

Mafell are another quality German company. They also do a power saw with a guide. Not quite as expensive as Festool.

recipio wrote: »
    Mafell are another quality German company. They also do a power saw with a guide. Not quite as expensive as Festool.
    Thanks for that,wat way does the guide work,do ya need a special table

Thanks for that,wat way does the guide work,do ya need a special table

The rail is unique in that it can be rolled up for storage.
    These rails are designed for cutting sheet goods accurately by a carpenter on site. You might be better off rough cutting to size and then finishing properly on a table saw.
    Don't want to give you a lecture but all woodwork starts with croscutting first, then ripping ( cutting lenghtwise ) and then planing.
    If you have room and the dosh you would be well advised to buy a tablesaw and planer/thicknesser which will do far more than any power tools.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Volvoowner

Just looked at festool website..very very expensive!!!

Check out www.iedepot.ie

Good value on quality tools to be had :)

good luck with your new hobby

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Lidl/Parkisde electric planer for 39 euro in Lidl Stores at the moment.

Planes from 0.5mm up to 3mm deep and 85mm wide.

Built in level guide bar and dust extractor/collector

3 year warrenty.

Handy for a spot of home DIY or a person starting out on a tight budget.

Advertisement