Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom 'technically in default'

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

I type this in 2012 on mobile internet when in 2002 i was told i would have ADSL the following year .....

Yea Eircom wooooooo, nice one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Good riddance to a company that deliberately set to delay the introduction of DSL in Ireland by perhaps up to 10 years.

Sympathy for the staff but they knew they were working for a company whose onus was to screw the consumer. Remember "timed broadband", "ISDN", "dialup ripoff charges", those of us old enough remember how Eircom(Telecom Eireann) aka Eircon set out to bleed us dry by having a monopoly on the only means of internet access for a period of time in the past.
    NTL paused their broadband rollout back then due to the Dotcom crash hence giving Eircon a lifeline but the new UPC has hurt them badly recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,546 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

musohead wrote: »
    Just who is 'eircom'?
    Hardly the successive sets of greedy venture capitalists who creamed off its assets and loaded it with debt? The guilty parties have mostly left the building, and that includes our own government who gave up control and turned a blind eye. Not to say ESOT comes out much better but they never had any real control.

So the 'eircom' that's the target of ignorant comments like those above is the staff and its customers.

It's a shame to see a debt-free company raped like that. And a shame Ireland lost out on a decent communications infrastructure as the money went into the pockets of the already rich. Imagine what a €4bn network would look like!

Well it is the ordinary and preference shareholders too who own the company who have a say in the running of the company. It is primarily their own responsibility to make the financial decisions regarding the company.

I don't know how many shareholders they have; but, their (albeit possibly many) heads would roll so many times when they have created a possible further disaster.

However; if the directors were caught to be found lying to the public about this; they would once again be fuming with anger at the prospect of the company's financial position.

There is another bit I can tell you though; I had passed a new emobile and Meteor store just opened in Blackrock in Dublin just over a week and half ago. The shop is located at the former William Hill Bookmakers. IMO; I am sure that the new employees there will be gutted for having gained a job to earn themselves a living and to see it snuffed out later on.

I am a meteor customer for the past 4 years and I see that my future is uncertain as I to the next company I'll choose later on to use mobile and broadband services. I find out of the all the companies in the telecommunications sector; I feel that Vodafone is the more expensive choice to go for.

A pricing comparison of the other companies would be good to look at, If the company goes bust in the end.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

musohead wrote: »
    It's a shame to see a debt-free company raped like that. And a shame Ireland lost out on a decent communications infrastructure as the money went into the pockets of the already rich. Imagine what a €4bn network would look like!
    I remember seeing a costing of 2 billion to provide fibre to the home

we might have been the ehub of europe

instead we got delegates from Addis Abba wondering why we didn't have BB like they did back home
    NTL paused their broadband rollout back then due to the Dotcom crash hence giving Eircon a lifeline but the new UPC has hurt them badly recently.
    There was also the issue of the regulator forcing them to roll out digital TV first, even though the bulk of income from that was handed over to the rights holders.

All in all Eircom/government lack of vision set us back a decade

and now they install meters so they can sell off water :mad:

Advertisement