Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Our dog nipped at cousin

• 21-03-2012 1:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭

My Bassett hound took a nip at my cousin (who he would not be familiar with) yesterday as he was entering my front gate. Although very boisterous he has never done this before. It has my wife and I totally freaked out as we love him to bits but are now concerned to leave him out in the garden while we are not at home. Has anyone any advice for us. Should we keep him in his pen all day while we are not there, so he cannot pose a threat to other strangers, or put a beware of the dog sign on our front gates? Is it possible to train him out of this or at seven years of age is it too late? Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I wouldn't leave him out tbh if there's a chance he might bite - it's not worth the risk? If it's happened out of nowhere maybe take him to the vet to get checked over to rule out any medical issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

At seven he might be getting very protective of you, especially if he wasn't used to your cousin. Would he be used to many people calling. That's just my opnion though, my oldest dog is getting crabby as she is stiff etc so I am very mindful of who is around her as they wouldn't be used to her and she being cranky might nip, a chance I aint taking.

Get him vet checked as advised above.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭opinionated3

He would not be used to many people calling bar my parents and he is well used to them. As I said he is very boisterous mainly cos he was bitten twice in the past by neighbors dogs. He does not get on with small dogs as a result and generally shies away from them. We are just afraid note of maybe a salesman etc calling and how he would react.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

You're aware of the potential of him to nip and that's the important thing.

I would keep him on lead for an visitors he doesn't know.

Introduce them and then put the dog out. Let them give him a treat. Other posters will have more/better advice.

You then have to decide whether you're going to change his behaviour or leave him as he is. Maybe a call to a dog trainer might help but whatever you choose it will take a lot of work on your part.

Does the dog have access to the front of the house, mine don't, and any company requiring access to the back of the house needs prior permission, as my dogs, while mostly harmless, could turn, i have yet to find out, but I hope I never will. My JRT bit the oil man, she didn't even get through his boot, but I also have big dogs, and they tend to defend each other so that would be my fear. One dog on it's own may be fine, but a pack of four could havae different results.

Keeping him at the back of the house would alleviate any worry of a sales person/post man getting nipped.

I don't mind my dogs being wary of people, but I know this and therefore warn people as they approach me. It puts people off coming to my door late in the evening as they know i answer the door with the dog. I have a sign on my front door stating what breed of dog I have. The 'Beware of Dog' signs can be legally messy;)

You have a duty to protect your dog as much as he has a sense to protect you. By that i mean, it sounds like a lovely dog and you don't want someone suing you because he nips the wrong person.

Advertisement