Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IPad 2 or IPad 3?

• 21-03-2012 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

I am currently considering buying an IPad. I waited for the new one to come out cos I was thinking that it was best to buy the newest model. I will be using it for surfing, eading newspapers and some apps.

Having seen the price drop now in the IPad 2, I am just wondering is it worth the extra money to get the new IPad or will the IPad 2 be just as good for me?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I am currently considering buying an IPad. I waited for the new one to come out cos I was thinking that it was best to buy the newest model. I will be using it for surfing, eading newspapers and some apps.

Having seen the price drop now in the IPad 2, I am just wondering is it worth the extra money to get the new IPad or will the IPad 2 be just as good for me?

Thanks

If I was buying now, I'd get the iPad2 in the refurb store. €150 saving is not to be sniffed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭ablelocks

I was all set to buy the new ipad on Friday, but am coming to the conclusion that the ipad 2 would be just fine at it's new price.

unless of course the boardsie hive presents compelling reasons to go for the new ipad.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

The refurb ipad 2 certainly looks tempting. €349 for 16GB wifi and €379 for 32GB wifi

Edit: Just looked again and the 32GB is a first gen.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Forget asking on Boards.

Go to a shop and view the two side by side. The main difference is the display and since the new iPad hasn't even gone on sale in the Republic you really need to wait until you can see it for yourself.

Frankly doing anything else is making an uninformed decision.
    If the reports are to be believed, once you see the 3, you won't want the 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Dades wrote: »
    Forget asking on Boards.

Go to a shop and view the two side by side. The main difference is the display and since the new iPad hasn't even gone on sale in the Republic you really need to wait until you can see it for yourself.

fair point, hope the refurbs stay in stock for a wee while....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

A co-worker managed to get one in the US last week and I had a chance to compare it with my iPad 2 for awhile yesterday. I've got to say, I'm not blown away - I was very much considering getting the 3 on Friday, but I really don't think I'll bother now.

Most things (UI, videos, etc) are not that much better overall. Apps not yet optimized for the new display look worse but this will improve over time.

The biggest difference is text - I compared the Kindle app side by side and on the new iPad, I can very comfortably read even the smallest font size, it's that clear. On my iPad 2, I never use the smallest size.

But that's not enough to bother upgrading IMO. The rear camera blows away the one on the iPad 2, but I'm more interested in improvements to the front one, for Skype/Facetime, which did not happen this time. It's also noticeably heavier over the iPad 2, though I'd say you'd get used to it over time.

However, I have to agree with Dades, that you should see them side by side in order to make up your mind. I'm not impressed enough (and I am a bit of an Apple fanboy) to upgrade but you may be blown away by it. At €350 for an iPad 2, it's very well worth it IMO - performance in almost everything will be on par between the iPad 2 and the new one since they have the same processor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

Thanks

I'm in the exact same situation and will be using it the same as you.
    There doesn't seem to be much off 2nd hand ipad2 so prob will get a refurb one as well if I do get an ipad2
    Thing is with the extra resolution it might be handy for reading newspaper/ (especially)magazines and surfing

Do people using the ipad as a replacement laptop for surfing when at home?
    Seems more effort to surf rather than using a mouse.

Can't decide but I'll pop into apple and take a look on Friday but most likely I'll be coming out with nothing and undecided :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

What the side-by-side will not give you is the nearly twice as long charing time and the supposed heating problems that the ipad 3 has.

I have the ipad 2 and I want to see the new model myself but I feel like not updating and wait until the next one, once the teething issues were dealt with.

Having said this, I do have an ipad already so I am in no rush to get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Block (8 wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same situation and will be using it the same as you.
    There doesn't seem to be much off 2nd hand ipad2 so prob will get a refurb one as well if I do get an ipad2
    Thing is with the extra resolution it might be handy for reading newspaper/ (especially)magazines and surfing

Can't decide but I'll pop into apple and take a look on Friday but most likely I'll be coming out with nothing and undecided :o

I know you can be a bit OCD about these things but the resolution on the iPad 2 bugged me every time I used it because I got used to the resolution of the iphone 4 /4s. If you arent used to the resolution of the latest iphones (or whatever phone has a similar display) the iPad 2 might be ok for you. For me it was always a little disappointing (first world problems I know). The biggest upgrade over the iPad 2 is the screen. I was happy with the iPad 2 in every other way. Feels great in the hand, zippy, never used the cameras! I also found the 16GB one filled up pretty quickly and that was without any music or movies on it. And it is IDEAL for couch surfing!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I know you can be a bit OCD about these things but the resolution on the iPad 2 bugged me every time I used it because I got used to the resolution of the iphone 4 /4s. If you arent used to the resolution of the latest iphones (or whatever phone has a similar display) the iPad 2 might be ok for you. For me it was always a little disappointing (first world problems I know). The biggest upgrade over the iPad 2 is the screen. I was happy with the iPad 2 in every other way. Feels great in the hand, zippy, never used the cameras! I also found the 16GB one filled up pretty quickly and that was without any music or movies on it. And it is IDEAL for couch surfing!

TBH, its only you that has the OCD, I think :)
    Every time its mentioned you go on about how poor the resolution is. I've an iPhone 4 and iPad2 and I honestly don't see any massive difference at all. I use mine for books, PDFs, magazines surfing etc, and much as I was thinking about the 3, I really don't feel the need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 CasaBonita

Block (8 wrote: »

It's perfect for a bit of casual surfing. I use my iPad far more than my laptop as I find it easier and less awkward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Surely this is similar to iPhone upgrades and last gen users should skip.

So current iPad 2 users should stick with it and iPad 1 or new buyers should jump in.

I don't see why people spend €400+ on a product and even consider changing it after a year just because an upgraded product is released.

It'd be like changing a one year old car because it has a new radio!

whiterebel wrote: »
    Every time its mentioned you go on about how poor the resolution is. I've an iPhone 4 and iPad2 and I honestly don't see any massive difference at all. I use mine for books, PDFs, magazines surfing etc, and much as I was thinking about the 3, I really don't feel the need.

ha yea maybe I do! or maybe I have better eyesight than you!! Either way OP may as well wait till Friday and have a look for him/herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

There's a huge difference between the two screens. I've always blames the 4 for my general disappointment with the iPad 2s screen. I'm genuinely mystified as to how people use the kindle app on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

No, me too :)

There's a huge difference in the screen quality of the iPhone 4 / 4s over the old 3GS. If I ever look at a 3GS screen now, it looks like it has fogged up or something! I suppose it's a case of whatever you get used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,695 ✭✭✭squonk

I agree with another poster who mentioned that the iPad 3 is for new iPad users and iPad 1 owners. If I had an iPad 2 I wouldn't be thinking of upgrading. I got an iPad 3 up north last week although I haven't gotten it yet and I'll have it at the weekend. It was just handier to order when my mate was in the Apple store rather than chancing the queues here.

In any case, I'm partially sighted and I can see the pixelation in the iPad 2 screen so Crackity isn't alone. I reckon if I can see it, I don't know how other people get on using it. That being said it's not a bad screen really, it just could be better. This is what they've done this time round. I won't be upgrading next year but i'll be back on the market the year after, or maybe not. It depends on the upgrade path for the next while. I'd definitely think those with an iPad 2 would be looking forward to the iPad 4 at this point though.

I have that OCD, too. :p

I have an iPhone 4 and use a work iPad 2. The difference in resolution was the only thing stopping me from buying an iPad a year ago.

I have that OCD, too. :p

I have an iPhone 4 and use a work iPad 2. The difference in resolution was the only thing stopping me from buying an iPad a year ago.

Good to know it not just me:p I'll let yis know on Friday whether it was worth it when I pick up the new one that Harvey Norman just reserved for me!

squonk wrote: »
    I agree with another poster who mentioned that the iPad 3 is for new iPad users and iPad 1 owners. If I had an iPad 2 I wouldn't be thinking of upgrading. I got an iPad 3 up north last week although I haven't gotten it yet and I'll have it at the weekend. It was just handier to order when my mate was in the Apple store rather than chancing the queues here.

In any case, I'm partially sighted and I can see the pixelation in the iPad 2 screen so Crackity isn't alone. I reckon if I can see it, I don't know how other people get on using it. That being said it's not a bad screen really, it just could be better. This is what they've done this time round. I won't be upgrading next year but i'll be back on the market the year after, or maybe not. It depends on the upgrade path for the next while. I'd definitely think those with an iPad 2 would be looking forward to the iPad 4 at this point though.

Not trying to be funny or smart, but you're partially sighted and can see the pixels?
    I've 20/20 and perfect reading vision, and I can't see the pixels on mine. I've brought the text up to the max as well and don't see any pixelation on the characters. Would there be different screens from different suppliers I wonder? It's not surprising I'm in no hurry to change if the screen is so good on this one.

Not trying to be funny or smart, but you're partially sighted and can see the pixels?
    I've 20/20 and perfect reading vision, and I can't see the pixels on mine. I've brought the text up to the max as well and don't see any pixelation on the characters. Would there be different screens from different suppliers I wonder? It's not surprising I'm in no hurry to change if the screen is so good on this one.

I didn't explain it that well. There's a sort of matrix effect you can see, especially with white backgrounds. It doesn't cause pixelation really but you motice it from the peripherals of your eyes. It could be a screen supplier thing but I see it on my parents iPad 2 as well. As I said previously, the screen isn't bad, it's just that it could be better.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Anyone seeing this wifi issue that's across the forums, much reduced signal strengths and transfer speeds with ipad3 than iPad2.

http://gizmodo.com/5895145/does-the-new-ipad-have-wi+fi-reception-problems

copacetic wrote: »
    Anyone seeing this wifi issue that's across the forums, much reduced signal strengths and transfer speeds with ipad3 than iPad2.

http://gizmodo.com/5895145/does-the-new-ipad-have-wi+fi-reception-problems

Cheers! This seems to happen with every new product launch. Cue rollout of its 5.1.1 :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I picked up an ipad2 last Wednesday, refurb for €349, cracking value, using it now and mostly for sky sports and kindle .pdfs, delivered in two days:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭soundsham

The only thing that would sway me before I shell out is if the 3 interacts in any other way that the 2 doesn't with my atv 2 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

ok..am in the same boat

I dont have any iPad...

So, from my perspective I might as well go for the latest model

iPad 2 are great Value and from what has been said not much difference functionally from the new iPad (Screen aside)

So...i am getting the new one

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I'm also on the same boat, wanted an ipad 2 last year, but decided to put it off due to a new one being released in a few months. Now that the 3 is here i'm still deciding. :pac::pac:

Ah feck it will get the 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Forget asking on Boards.

I think we have been reading different reports. The ones I have read say that the iPad 3 screen is better, but its not necessarily worth the premium... & the key benefit is reading text - it has little benefit for viewing movies or playing games apparently.

Also consider, there have been reports of large quantity of iPad 3 users with faulty WiFi, the tablet is heating up to 47C which is enough to produce third degree burns after prolonged use & there are reports that the charger is struggling to charge the iPad due to the huge new battery used to drive the new screen. It seems the new screen is taking its toll on other aspects of the devices performance.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I think we have been reading different reports. The ones I have read say that the iPad 3 screen is better, but its not necessarily worth the premium... & the key benefit is reading text - it has little benefit for viewing movies or playing games apparently.
    I don't do a lot of iPad gaming, but I would have thought "text" on an internet device such as a tablet was a very large thing regardless of who you are.

Again, the reality can't be found by reading the internet - only by physical comparison.
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    Also consider, there have been reports of large quantity of iPad 3 users with faulty WiFi, the tablet is heating up to 47C which is enough to produce third degree burns after prolonged use & there are reports that the charger is struggling to charge the iPad due to the huge new battery used to drive the new screen. It seems the new screen is taking its toll on other aspects of the devices performance.
    Third degree burns? :p Methinks you've been been reading reviews on the Android forums!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Third degree burns? :p Methinks you've been been reading reviews on the Android forums!

I was told by a doctor friend of mine, but this seems to corroborate my statement :D

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080702132525AAehcC8

• Advertisement

You'd have to question someone who would keep a part of their body exposed to something that *hot* for a long enough time to cause third degree burns. :pac:

My Compaq Presario laptop heats up like a bastard but somehow failed to make the Daily Mail on it's release!

Advertisement