Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IPad 2 or IPad 3?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Dades wrote: »
    You'd have to question someone who would keep a part of their body exposed to something that *hot* for a long enough time to cause third degree burns. :pac:

My Compaq Presario laptop heats up like a bastard but somehow failed to make the Daily Mail on it's release!

So if you are using the Tablet for intensive purposes, you should hold it for less than 45 minutes? That seriously limits the use of a device that is supposed to be held in the hand.

As for your laptop, heating problems on various laptops are well documented. They don't make the front page of the mainstream media, but they are certainly reported if they are a problem. The reason the iPads heating issue is reported so heavily on, is that it has effects at least 500,000 people and possibly 5million at this early stage of its release. Also, Apple claim the higher ground on product quality and charge a premium for what they consitently tell us are the greatest products, so when they fail to deliver, the media are entitled to query them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Obviously people are holding them wrong. :pac:

My point is hot devices are nothing knew. Laptops including Macbooks have well documented heat issues. My iPhone always heats up using the radio app.

The annoying this is the bandwagon "in ur face, Apple!" articles that get written. Of course Apple court attention so they should expect any issue to be thrown at them.

Next month they'll announce Malibu Stacy is getting a new hat and everyone will have forgotten about the HeatPad of Death headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Have my ipad3 since Monday & can report no problems with overheating, dodgy wifi signal or anything else.

Well worth the upgrade for the original iPad IMO....

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dades wrote: »
    Obviously people are holding them wrong. :pac:

My point is hot devices are nothing knew. Laptops including Macbooks have well documented heat issues. My iPhone always heats up using the radio app.

The annoying this is the bandwagon "in ur face, Apple!" articles that get written. Of course Apple court attention so they should expect any issue to be thrown at them.

Next month they'll announce Malibu Stacy is getting a new hat and everyone will have forgotten about the HeatPad of Death headlines.

Third degree burns is laughable, but one of the things I like about the iPad too is that it stays cool to touch for all basic use, I.e email I.e email, web, basic apps.

I wouldn't upgrade if it meant it was warm/hot and uncomfortable the way a laptop is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm the same, I wouldn't buy the new iPad if I thought it was going to get very hot after a couple of hours use.

I use mine for surfing, gaming, reading and listening to books and also for the radio (TuneIn app is fantastic!) and regularly have it running for hours at a time. I use the first gen iPad and haven't yet found a reason to upgrade. Cameras might be useful for Skype but I'm not too fussed about other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I actually upgraded from the iPad 1 to the iPad 2 today. While I would have loved the new Retina screen iPad, the reduced price iPad 2 was too hard to resist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've never owned one before. I'm pretty tempted to try one, was never bothered by the previous editions and haven't even looked at the specs of the new one. A refurb of #2 is certainly tempting. 32GB would do, don't know about the 3G aspect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭nicelives

Was waiting for the release on the iPad 3 here too, but ended up buying the refurb iPad 2 as display improvements on a small enough screen didn't do it for me.

Very happy with my iPad 2...actually love it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

Upgraded from the ipad1 to the ipad2 myself the difference in speed is really very noticeable. It came down to price for me really plus I wonder if there will be an issue with non optimised content looking kinda crap on the ipad3's retina display?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hmm, it'll end up being another thing to charge between laptop, phone, kindle...damn you, temptations!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

The way I see it, when iPad 3 is released it's the best time to buy an iPad 2. If you absolutely have to have the latest gadget and believe that it's a gazillion times better than it's predecessor, well you are just the type of customer Apple wants to have.

If it was my money, iPad 2 for sure.

Well, the refurb section seems quiet 'Ships: Out of stock'. I'd guess it really is buy as soon as you see it, then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If you are up later, check it again. They refresh it after midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I actually upgraded from the iPad 1 to the iPad 2 today. While I would have loved the new Retina screen iPad, the reduced price iPad 2 was too hard to resist.

Did you buy new or a refurb? I'm still in two minds about what to do? I was going to upgrade to the new iPad but now I'm sorely tempted by the refurb price on the 16GB iPad 2.

I think I may wait and have a look at the new iPad hands on when they are in the stores.

One things for sure, my Mrs is waiting impatiently for me to hand over the first gen iPad to her.

I bought new. Mostly because I had a gift card to use up. And because I'm impatient. Otherwise I'd have gotten a refurb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Have my ipad3 since Monday & can report no problems with overheating, dodgy wifi signal or anything else.

Well worth the upgrade for the original iPad IMO....

Have my ipad2 now for 52 Mondays & can report no problems with overheating, dodgy wifi signal or anything else. I'll wait for no.4 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,897 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Having only bought my iPad2 early in the New Year I convinced myself that I don't need or want the new version...and then I saw it in the flesh :o

The screen is so much clearly, it looks amazing. Might have to cut up my credit card before I do something stupid :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Crackity Jones

Good to know it not just me:p I'll let yis know on Friday whether it was worth it when I pick up the new one that Harvey Norman just reserved for me!

Yes ! Screen is the business. This ones a keeper! As for Harvey Norman...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

If going for the 16 gb wifi the extra €80 is worth it for the screen alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭ablelocks

well, after comparing both in shops today, I'm collecting the new 32gb wifi tomorrow. The screen is really good - not the hyperbollicy good that some sites are reporting - but certainly enough to convince me to go the extra €100. And it seems a bit zippier too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Could see the difference in the screen but wasn't so stunning that it made the other screen look awful.

I wouldn't at all equate it as being similar to the difference between the iPhone 3Gs screen and the 4. The difference between those screens was like night and day.

The iPad 2 screen compared to the iPad 3 screen is like early evening vs dusk. There's defintely some difference but it'll be dark soon either way.

Gave in to temptation and picked up a 16GB wifi in PC World in Airside on the way home from work. Havent even taken it out of the box yet.

Went on to Amazon to purchase a Snugg case for it and they are looking a ridiculous £15 for delivery.:(

What cases are people using for this version? Bought a Snugg for my ipad 1 and loved it, hence going for the same brand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

chabsey wrote: »
    Could see the difference in the screen but wasn't so stunning that it made the other screen look awful.

I wouldn't at all equate it as being similar to the difference between the iPhone 3Gs screen and the 4. The difference between those screens was like night and day.

The iPad 2 screen compared to the iPad 3 screen is like early evening vs dusk. There's defintely some difference but it'll be dark soon either way.

I agree with this... Went into compu b to have a look, was playing with what I though was an iPad 2. Asked the sales guy if there was an ipad 3 I could look at, he said I was looking at it. The diference to my eyes was minimal, not worth the extra. I've an ipad one that's done me well the since launch, will most likely pick up a used ipad 2 for the speed bump. Could not warrant the extra for the screen, in my eyes it makes sod all difference in day to day use...

As for the higher res camera, I wouldn't be caught dead walking around taking pics with an ipad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

unklerosco wrote: »
    I agree with this... Went into compu b to have a look, was playing with what I though was an iPad 2. Asked the sales guy if there was an ipad 3 I could look at, he said I was looking at it. The diference to my eyes was minimal, not worth the extra. I've an ipad one that's done me well the since launch, will most likely pick up a used ipad 2 for the speed bump. Could not warrant the extra for the screen, in my eyes it makes sod all difference in day to day use...

As for the higher res camera, I wouldn't be caught dead walking around taking pics with an ipad...

Agree. When I first picked up the ipad I thought it looked quite nice, relatively light, good screen. Then I turned it over, I was looking at an iPad 2!

The main reason for getting the 3 for me was iBooks which looks essentially the same on both iPads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

chabsey wrote: »
    Agree. When I first picked up the ipad I thought it looked quite nice, relatively light, good screen. Then I turned it over, I was looking at an iPad 2!

The main reason for getting the 3 for me was iBooks which looks essentially the same on both iPads.

I just upgraded to the new iPad from an iPad 2 and must say the screen is amazing. I find it particularly impressive when looking at HD photos and videos taken from my 4s and also reading text on webpages or iBooks. Seriously for reading text, you really notice the difference. However, to really appreciate the different, I guess you need a side by side comparison against an iPad 1 or 2, similar to comparing an iPhone 3g with and iPhone 4. When more apps support the screen, the difference should be even more noticeable.

However, everyday usage, feature and functionality, not that much difference when compared with an iPad 2.

Since I only got it today, this is my first impression, however need to keep an eye on the reported wifi, heat issues and long charging issues.

In any case, anyone considering an iPad 2, it's a solid device. I absolutely loved it and that's the reason why I upgraded to the new iPad - can't get enough of a good thing! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Was going to be in the market for a tablet in the next few months and had my eye on the new Asus Transformer Prime. My mother was visiting my aunt in Perth in Oz and she said she would have a look for one over there. I told her not to bother because its probably much more expensive in Australia because most stuff is. Anyway, she PM's me asking about specs and points me to the website of Perths equivelent to Powercity. Cheapest one they had was six or seven hundred euro. Feck that I said. I then saw the iPad 2 16gb Wifi for AUD$426. I asked her to check out the Ipad2's. She texts me back that she got it for AUD$399 and that she'll get 10% tax back at Australian customs when she leaves the country in a few weeks. Equivelent Euro price? €280 :D:D:D The Aussie Aunt has been in and out of this country with her Ipad loads of times. The mother can just say she brought it to Oz with her from Ireland on her return.

TBH, its not like I needed the specs or keyboard of the Transformer Prime but if we were only talking an extra hundred, they'd be nice to haves. Not at twice the price though. My 3GS does all I need in terms of Apps, ie. Internet browsing and Telescope control with a Planetarium App (Sky Safari). I really just want a larger screen. 16gb Wifi Ipad 2 will do just fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I need to see on myself but so far the upgrade does not seem worth...a marginally better screen for a heavier, slower to charge, potentially overheating device.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SamDithers

I also was going to go for the iPad 3 after selling my iPad 1st Gen a few weeks back.

Anyway, I looked at both side by side and found the iPad 2 noticably lighter and the screen resolution when reading text not significantly different to my mind. I could tell the difference but it wasn't like "wow!"

I had the cash ready to buy the 3rd Gen but was under-whelmed so I opted to buy a refurb iPad 2 on Apple store for 349 euro and wait the 2-3 days.

Went for a second gen refurb, wi-fi only...so we'll see how it goes. :)

• Advertisement

Black Oil wrote: »
    Went for a second gen refurb, wi-fi only...so we'll see how it goes. :)

They are a great price. Was sorely tempted to go for one.

Advertisement