Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting A British Degree Recognised By The Teaching Council

• 21-03-2012 9:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

I've decided, after a lot of soul-searching, that I want to do the Hibernia course in post-primary to train to be a secondary teacher. Yes, I know all the disadvantages of training to be a teacher in the present climate, but I still want to do it because I feel its what is right for me.

My problem is. My degree is in History from Cardiff University and I am concerned about it being accepted by the Teaching Council as there seems to be a need to have covered in depth IRISH and European history. Whilst I extensively covered European history, Cardiff being in Wales the local focus was on Wales and Britain. Are they likely to decline it on that basis when it seems to fulfil the other requirements (I've looked on the website)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I'm afraid you won't know until you try with the teaching council. Worst case scenario, they'll tell you that you need more undergrad Irish history modules .
    Unfortunately , they won't tell you if they accept particular modules until after you do them . Worth your while checking out which Uni's( especially the open university) have part time undergrad courses in Irish history . Also DCU Oscail have a part time undergrad in history so you might pick them up there !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You really should look into getting a second subject too. History isn't very popular at Leaving Cert level and if it's ever taken off as a compulsory JC subject jobs would be even more scarce than they are now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

dory wrote: »
    You really should look into getting a second subject too. History isn't very popular at Leaving Cert level and if it's ever taken off as a compulsory JC subject jobs would be even more scarce than they are now.

Definately agree with getting a second subject. I don't know anyone in my school who only teaches history. There are also loads of teachers that teach it! There is a course for teachers in religion but I think you must be a qualified teacher to apply and there are restrictions on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭The Crab

Is doing CSPE as a second subject methodology on the Graduate Diploma course an option in regard to second subject?

I can't see how I could afford to go back and get a second degree.

The Crab wrote: »
    Is doing CSPE as a second subject methodology on the Graduate Diploma course an option in regard to second subject?

I can't see how I could afford to go back and get a second degree.

I think so but not 100% as I did a B.Ed, however from my experience cspe is a timetable filler in my school as is sphe! And given to permanent/CID teachers to fill up their timetables regardless of qualifications. The pgde is expensive as it is so I would really think hard about it, if you can't afford to do an extra subject! (I know it's not what you want to hear, but it is reality, in my school there were two snas who did the pgde couldn't get a job and are now back working as snas) if I were you I would check out that religion course in st Patrick's in maynooth as I think it maybe your fastest/cheapest way to gain a second subject!

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    I think so but not 100% as I did a B.Ed, however from my experience cspe is a timetable filler in my school as is sphe! And given to permanent/CID teachers to fill up their timetables regardless of qualifications. The pgde is expensive as it is so I would really think hard about it, if you can't afford to do an extra subject! (I know it's not what you want to hear, but it is reality, in my school there were two snas who did the pgde couldn't get a job and are now back working as snas) if I were you I would check out that religion course in st Patrick's in maynooth as I think it maybe your fastest/cheapest way to gain a second subject!

Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out. I'm interested in religion so it would seem a good option. What is the name of the course exactly and how long does it take? Its not that I can't afford to do a second subject, its more I can't afford a second degree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

CSPE is a joke of a subject....sooner it's off the curriculum the better. Does anybody know what our Pisa ranking in it is anyway!

If you ate doing a methodology don't do that one

Whilst I really want to teach in Ireland my ultimate goal is just to teach. Regardless of where there might take place, Ireland being a bonus obviously. In that sense the UK is coming to me as an option. I know history jobs aren't two a penny there but I do know they exist. In your experience, given my degree, am I really in a situation where Ireland is a dream and I'm really looking at the UK as my option? I want to teach and live in Ireland, but at the end of the day if I can teach in Britain I'd do that before living here. Is it a better idea to aim for there?

The Crab wrote: »
    Millem wrote: »

Thanks for the advice. I'll check it out. I'm interested in religion so it would seem a good option. What is the name of the course exactly and how long does it take? Its not that I can't afford to do a second subject, its more I can't afford a second degree.

Check out the link below www.maynoothcollege.ie/courses/diplomas/hdiptheo.shtml

Advertisement