Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brittas Bay Surf School

Options
  • 21-03-2012 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Was only a matter of time I guess:
    http://brittasbaysurfschool.com

Run by Ritchie Fitz and Co... Hope they don't send the school to other beaches around the area!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ratticus

Am I missing something? I did not think Brittas had rideable waves on a regular basis?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Seems strange alright but as long as they have enough for the kids to catch something on a foamie it could be a real money spinner being so close to dublin i guess.

I was at Brittas a week or two ago and there was a pretty decent beach break ( 2+ ft ) at the southern end. had a fun bodyboarding session, even though I did get dumped on the sand in 2 inches of water a few times but I have never seen any really rideable waves. Is there a particular tide/wind combo that makes it work?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ratticus wrote: »
    I was at Brittas a week or two ago and there was a pretty decent beach break ( 2+ ft ) at the southern end. had a fun bodyboarding session, even though I did get dumped on the sand in 2 inches of water a few times but I have never seen any really rideable waves. Is there a particular tide/wind combo that makes it work?

Not that familiar with the place to be honest, but I'd imagine if there's a strong onshore wind there would be enough white-wash for a surf school to operate. As for actual nice surf I doubt it gets much. Do a search on here there's a thread or two about surfing in the east.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mat202

i have surfed and lived in brittas for almost 10years as for a surf school there total waste of time there are no waves most of the time and as for waves during the summer forget about it better of going to wicklow pool and get the nearest fat person to do a dive bomb:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Its a surf/SUP school, they'll mint it;)

What parents are going to waste their hard earned money on getting their kids to float on a foamy surfboard can head down to the beach and do it yourself free of charge:confused::confused:

Look at it another way, how many parents will pass an oppertunity a little peace and quite for themselves;)

At 20euro a pop for ahour or two and thats just for one kid in the times we live in i do not think parents have that kind of money to be throwing away:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Ah, here...

Best of luck to the new venture from me! School owners, if you are reading, fair play to you, brave (not stupid) move. I hope when my kids are old enough the business will be thriving enough for me to book some lessons for them. If you do improvement lessons, I will really try and get out to you. I need them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,498 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is this not the equivalent of opening a riding stable without horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭tedshredsonfire

ted1 wrote: »
    Is this not the equivalent of opening a riding stable without horses.
    No, shock and horror everyone but surf schools arent really for surfers. They are for people who want to try it out in a safe and sterile evironment, do something outdoors, have an activity they can talk about to their friends in the pub afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

If it gets people into surfing then whats the problem?

Most families I know wouldn't feel confident enough to venture into the water to teach their kids how to surf.

but there are no waves in Brittas, what are they going to teach on? Will they alos buy a big ass motorboat and cruise up and down the beach to create a bit of swell?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

Might be an idea...

Never been there but there must be something attracting them.

how can you teach kids how to surf without waves i live in brittas and there are never waves in summer not even white water it just dumps on the shore.Complete waste of time better off going to sandymount:D

mat202 wrote: »
    how can you teach kids how to surf without waves i live in brittas and there are never waves in summer not even white water it just dumps on the shore.Complete waste of time better off going to sandymount:D

Its a surf/SUP school, plenty of crack to be had with paddle boards if its flat:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

rodento wrote: »
    Its a surf/SUP school, plenty of crack to be had with paddle boards if its flat:rolleyes:

That's all we need; more SUPpers on the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

There are plenty of waves along the Wicklow Coast – you just have to catch the right winds,tide position and know the charts. It is not Banzai but plenty of people have learned to Surf along the beaches from Wicklow down to Wexford and there are plenty of good east Coast surfers like one of the best Irish longboarders who’s local break is in Wexford. Ok, I think I recognise of the posters on this thread as being pretty good big wave surfer who will know the East Coast can have good beginner and intermediate waves

There is no big clean lines of swell rolling in each week but the majority of complaints come from beginners on shortboards or mini mals who don’t have strong enough paddling power to catch the smaller waves. I have seen countless cars arrive down from Dublin with mini mals at full high tide on the wrong winds and then driving home in a huff that there are no ‘ waves on the East Coast’.

On top of that it is mainly longboard territory, a foam board should be sufficient to catch plenty of waves for kids etc...

I have spent the last 12 years surfing Wicklow, you need a positive attitude and take what you get, and the more you surf in Wicklow the better you will be when you hit the West. Anyone here surfed Waikiki in the winter ? I have spent three winters there, 1 foot swells max and everyone out cruising on ten to 12 foot longbaords and no complaining. Rem, Kelly Slater grew up surfing absolute slop..

BTW, I have no connection to this surf school - but best of luck to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

So has anyone gone to this school yet? Going to Rossknowlagh, Donegal in August with some lads so wouldnt mind a head start on them. It is only an hour away from me but €35 for an adult lesson might be a bit steep particularily if there are no waves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Yrag2E

Lambretta wrote: »
    There are plenty of waves along the Wicklow Coast – you just have to catch the right winds,tide position and know the charts. It is not Banzai but plenty of people have learned to Surf along the beaches from Wicklow down to Wexford and there are plenty of good east Coast surfers like one of the best Irish longboarders who’s local break is in Wexford. Ok, I think I recognise of the posters on this thread as being pretty good big wave surfer who will know the East Coast can have good beginner and intermediate waves

There is no big clean lines of swell rolling in each week but the majority of complaints come from beginners on shortboards or mini mals who don’t have strong enough paddling power to catch the smaller waves. I have seen countless cars arrive down from Dublin with mini mals at full high tide on the wrong winds and then driving home in a huff that there are no ‘ waves on the East Coast’.

On top of that it is mainly longboard territory, a foam board should be sufficient to catch plenty of waves for kids etc...

I have spent the last 12 years surfing Wicklow, you need a positive attitude and take what you get, and the more you surf in Wicklow the better you will be when you hit the West. Anyone here surfed Waikiki in the winter ? I have spent three winters there, 1 foot swells max and everyone out cruising on ten to 12 foot longbaords and no complaining. Rem, Kelly Slater grew up surfing absolute slop..

BTW, I have no connection to this surf school - but best of luck to them.

Agreed, there is plenty of east coast action if you know what you are looking for.

Besides from that, the surf school down in Brittas provides an eye witness report for anything kicking off.

Rented some SUP from Hugh, had great band out on the water for a few hours. Different kind of exercise.

More speed to them, hope it does really well and looking at the facebook - it's flying!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Lambretta wrote: »
    There are plenty of waves along the Wicklow Coast – you just have to catch the right winds,tide position and know the charts

There was a longboarder, two SUPer's and a shortboarder on Dollymount strand three weeks ago catching big waves. The SUPer's were way out, but catching the waves and turning. The longboarder didn't look very experienced, think it was a girl or a dude with long hair, but still catching waves and the shortboarder was catching waves too. Not just foaming in to the shore, but standing in the green room.

Advertisement