Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change Electric Meter?

Options
  • 21-03-2012 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I have standard meter in my house, now I never really looked into it and never really thought about it but I use all appliances during the night(washing machine etc). It was only when I was checking cost of power other day I realised it doesn't really matter if I use them at 2 in morning or 2 in afternoon because I am paying the same price anyway......should really look into this stuff more

Anyway was thinking about changing to day night meter, went onto ESB networks website(after 5 mins of waiting for it to open) and there is nothing I can find there about changing.

Does anyone know do they charge for this? are there hidden costs?

Also does it take into account weekend's? or do you still need to run everything at night at weekend as well? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I have standard meter in my house, now I never really looked into it and never really thought about it but I use all appliances during the night(washing machine etc). It was only when I was checking cost of power other day I realised it doesn't really matter if I use them at 2 in morning or 2 in afternoon because I am paying the same price anyway......should really look into this stuff more

Anyway was thinking about changing to day night meter, went onto ESB networks website(after 5 mins of waiting for it to open) and there is nothing I can find there about changing.

Does anyone know do they charge for this? are there hidden costs?

Also does it take into account weekend's? or do you still need to run everything at night at weekend as well? Thanks

afaik its a straight swop no charge

it wasnt really designed for saving money by running washing machines and dryers at nite imo

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

ESB networks will charge you €164 plus VAT to change the meter over.
    The standing charge will increase by app €45 p.a.
    The day units charge increases by app. 1.5 cents extra
    It's not worth it unless you have storage heating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

M cebee wrote: »
    afaik its a straight swop no charge

it wasnt really designed for saving money by running washing machines and dryers at nite imo

It was intended originally to balance the generating load more over the 24 hours i would say myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Hoagy wrote: »
    ESB networks will charge you €164 plus VAT to change the meter over.
    The standing charge will increase by app €45 p.a.
    The day units charge increases by app. 1.5 cents extra
    It's not worth it unless you have storage heating.

Probably still not worth it, if a seperate meter is in for the storage heating.

they charge for switch to nightsaver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

There's no charge to get a nightsaver meter in. There IS however a charge to get it changed back to a standard meter if you change your mind.

that's what i thought

the way we always worked was a 'separate nsh meter' where storage heating was the only off-peak load

nightsaver for apartments or electric agas's ,heat pumps etc.

bad idea this trying to save money running general appliances while asleep

you have to do the math anyhow -installation work,network charges and billing

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

bassey wrote: »
    There's no charge to get a nightsaver meter in. There IS however a charge to get it changed back to a standard meter if you change your mind.

My mistake, sorry.

Advertisement