Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone recommend Bushy Park National School?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kitstar

Totally agree with you about mixing with different cultures etc. she is in playschool now with a real mix of people and i love that. Think i am going to go with bushypark and deal with the secondary when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Amik

Was surprised to see this thread I started pop-up in the forum today! :D

If it helps, I did decide to go with Bushy Park and have no regrets whatsoever. My child's teacher is fantastic and the school offers lots of excellent extracurricular activities -- piano, art, Irish dancing, etc. Surprising amount of homework which I'm very pleased with. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

kitstar wrote: »
    Totally agree with you about mixing with different cultures etc. she is in playschool now with a real mix of people and i love that. Think i am going to go with bushypark and deal with the secondary when the time comes.

Just make sure your child's name is down on lists for secondary schools as Galway is notorious for the 'lists'! Don't leave it til the time comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 kitstar

Ya have her enrolled in salerno and will also put her name down for endas but apparently you can only enrol there the year before they are due to start and then its a lottery system which is a pity cos that would be my 1st chooice for secondary have heard great things so shell hopefully have a couple of options also puting her name down for taylors.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

IMHO its not good for kids to speak a language their parents dont, too hard to monitor behaviours.

Oh, come on!
    Now is the optimal time for kids to be learning new languages, and you want to deny them that in case you can't monitor them?? What precisely do you think that they're going to be discussing trí Ghaeilge or whatever that they wouldn't be able to say when they're out of earshot anyway?

Would you stop them learning a musical instrument or playing a sport because of extra time away from home and opportunity for mischief?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ficheall wrote: »
    Oh, come on!
    Now is the optimal time for kids to be learning new languages, and you want to deny them that in case you can't monitor them?? What precisely do you think that they're going to be discussing trí Ghaeilge or whatever that they wouldn't be able to say when they're out of earshot anyway?

I never said to deny them the opportunity to learn it. But having a kid 100% educated in a language requires a certain amount of dedication from Can-Be-Arsed parents(*) to understand what's said at parent-teacher interviews, reading school newsletters, understanding reports, accompanying school trips, etc.

Also, effective parents of teens need to be able to monitor phone conversations, email, social networking sites etc. If a kid can put material in a language that a parent cannot understand, it creates a range of risks that the parent is not able to manage. Remember - kids are only learning deception techniques (eg lying about going to the library to study when you're actually going to a party): the average parent can out-smart the average kid until quite a way through the teens.

Would you stop them learning a musical instrument or playing a sport because of extra time away from home and opportunity for mischief?

Nope, that's a totally different proposition, don't see that you can equate them at all. What's more sport or music is something that a parent can get interested in to build rapport with the kid, so it can become a common language.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Also, effective parents of teens need to be able to monitor phone conversations, email, social networking sites etc. If a kid can put material in a language that a parent cannot understand, it creates a range of risks that the parent is not able to manage.

Translate.google.com to be honest.

I mean, chrome even offers to just translate the text in browser for you automatically.

I never said to deny them the opportunity to learn it.
    You certainly implied it, though.
    But having a kid 100% educated in a language requires a certain amount of dedication from Can-Be-Arsed parents(*) to understand what's said at parent-teacher interviews, reading school newsletters, understanding reports, accompanying school trips, etc.
    BS. All available through English.
    Also, effective parents of teens need to be able to monitor phone conversations, email, social networking sites etc. If a kid can put material in a language that a parent cannot understand, it creates a range of risks that the parent is not able to manage. Remember - kids are only learning deception techniques (eg lying about going to the library to study when you're actually going to a party): the average parent can out-smart the average kid until quite a way through the teens.
    Do you feel the approach of keeping children as thick, for want of a better word, as possible is an effective technique for allowing an average parent to out-smart their kids?
    Nope, that's a totally different proposition, don't see that you can equate them at all. What's more sport or music is something that a parent can get interested in to build rapport with the kid, so it can become a common language.
    I'm equating them because denying the child the opportunity for either, on the grounds you seem to be suggesting, is a little over-protective to say the very, very least.
    What's to prevent a parent learning another language? It, too, funnily enough can become "a common language".

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What's to prevent a parent learning another language?

Absolutely nothing. But some of them don't appear to consider the need to either have Irish already or learn it when they send their kid to an Irish-medium school.

BS. All available through English.

[The "all available through English" comment relates to "at parent-teacher interviews, reading school newsletters, understanding reports, accompanying school trips, etc." which was too hard to quote.]

You are kidding, right? Surely all coversations(*) happening in and related to an Irish-medium school need to be in Irish? And yes, that extends right down to the technician fixing the telephone, and similar Otherwise it's balatently not Irish medium.

(*) with the except of foreign-language (including English) lessons, of course.

Absolutely nothing. But some of them don't appear to consider the need to either have Irish already or learn it when they send their kid to an Irish-medium school.
    That's because they don't need it. They also don't have to learn how to tap phones, read minds, or see through walls.
    You are kidding, right? Surely all coversations(*) happening in and related to an Irish-medium school need to be in Irish? And yes, that extends right down to the technician fixing the telephone, and similar Otherwise it's balatently not Irish medium.

(*) with the except of foreign-language (including English) lessons, of course.

I see you've done your research thoroughly.
    No, they don't. To do so would impose unnecessarily strict limitations upon the functioning of the school. The school's purpose is to educate the children through the medium of Irish, there's no need to hold them back due to the inabilities of others. A good lesson, truth be told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 alysia

Im moving to galway in the summer, im not sure where the best place is to rent, Im attending the nui but the rent is very Expensive near the nui.. I have a car but the problem is I want my Daughter to attend bushy park ns and there is a Catchment area.. can anyone please tell me what areas are inside The catchment area??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Best ring the school to find this out. The principal is v helpful

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement