Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4 Mic replacement

• 21-03-2012 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

As the title says,

Any idea of cost ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

The mic is built into the dock connector,
    Are you sure a new mic is what you need, have you tried the mic in the recorder or video camera apps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Its happening on calls every so often, you can't be heard on the other end of the call........thus my thinking that its the mic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

The iPhone 4 has a known issue with the secondary mic that's used for noise cancellation. It's actually the the controller on the logic board that fails - causing all sound on a call to be treated as background noise and therefore cancelled out. There are a few people out there that fix the issue.

As Cathal suggested, when it happens again check the mic in the recorder or video camera apps. If they work, you can be somewhat confident that it's the audio controller. If they don't work, it may be the dock connector/mic.

Would there be much difference in price in those two ?

I've never heard of anyone fix the audio controller on the logic board.
    It would need reballing! I'm not sure anyone in Ireland can provide this service

• Advertisement

I've never heard of anyone fix the audio controller on the logic board.
    It would need reballing! I'm not sure anyone in Ireland can provide this service

Tried that, no sound on call but fine in the voice memo.

Is it brown bread then ?

Sounds like it
    Check your warranty here http://www.apple.com/ie/support/iphone/contact/
    Maybe thehomeofdob knows somewhere though?
    If you find anyone who'll fix it will you let me know though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

I had this issue about 6 months ago and I got a replacement under warranty. So if you're warranty is good, that's the way to go.

The warranty on the replacement handset runs out when the warranty on the old one would run out, so the replacement one doesn't get a fresh 12 month warranty.

Warrenty is up !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 39 OxiMoron

As suggested here. the audio codec is shagged. It needs reballing.
    There is a partial fix recommended though which may get you out of trouble.
    Read through this thread.
    http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f631/iphone4-mic-not-working-thread-1120335/

• Advertisement

No chance of me doing that, i'd wreck the phone :o

Anyone know of anyone in Ireland who can do this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CBLFC96

I also had this problem with an iPhone 4 and I was unlucky to be out of warranty. In the end apple offered me a brand new one for €160 and I took it as I thought that repair would probably be around that price anyway… I also rang around a lot of reputable iPhone repair shops who wouldn't touch it because of the nature of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dannysimsks

My iP4 out of warranty too. CBLFC96 how do get the replacement and deal with the cost with apple? So frustrated after know that this problems are manufacture defect and the worst thing is its out of warranty. The problem right now is I'm living in Malaysia and i have no idea how to contact Apple and try to get the replacement.

Please Help...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 dannysimsks

CBLFC96 wrote: »
    I also had this problem with an iPhone 4 and I was unlucky to be out of warranty. In the end apple offered me a brand new one for €160 and I took it as I thought that repair would probably be around that price anyway… I also rang around a lot of reputable iPhone repair shops who wouldn't touch it because of the nature of the problem.

How's your working right now?

Advertisement