Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

three mobile internet speed in city

Options
  • 21-03-2012 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Thinking of switching to three mobile and getting all u can eat data on my galaxy s2.but have head that internet access can be flaky . Currently with Vodafone where mostly its good so afraid that ill find really noticeable difference in performance and regret moving. Living in togher area, anyone know what I can expect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭regress

Think that 3 coverage in many parts of the city is better than Vodafone. In my area I get 3G from 3 but GPRS from Vodafone. Only way to check though is to get test SIM. Don't believe coverage maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

regress wrote: »
    Only way to check though is to get test SIM. Don't believe coverage maps.

definitely get one of the test sims - it's the only way to know what the coverage will be like where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Given that most of the networks will have between 150-200 different cells covering the city the performance can vary by location. Best to get a test SIM to see what it is like for your specific area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I'm with 3 and all I ever seem to get is Edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Am I incredibly stupid! What does edge mean?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

seefin wrote: »

Reasonably good lead guitar, propping up a frontman with a poor voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Always have a full speed with Three in the city. Can't fault them.

seefin wrote: »

It's a connection that's slower than 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

EDGE - enhanced data GSM Evironment

http://searchmobilecomputing.techtarget.com/definition/EDGE

In simple terms it uses the GSM (or 2G) network to deliver data connectivity, it's a step on from GPRS (a slower method of using GSM network to carry data).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

I'm with 3 and all I ever seem to get is Edge.

Ok ,now I've finally worked out what edge is (no thanks to the U2 fan), just hope ur not in my area john! will try test sim idea as my current mobile is locked to Vodafone.where is cheapest place to get smartphone unlocked?

• Advertisement

I'm out in Douglas if that's any good to you, Edge is all I seem to get here anyway. Can't really help ya that much on the unlock, there might be places on North Main street or the English Market that will do it for you.

I'm on 3s all you can eat plan, I top up by €20 every 6 or 7 weeks. Internet as I said is a bit slow but I don't do much heavy browsing on the phone anyway so I can live with it.

Advertisement