Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre Broadband

Options
  • 21-03-2012 11:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

i saw Douglas Cork was one of the areas set to get fibre broadband, can you tell me what parts of douglas will get it? e.g how far out will it stretch?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It won't stretch out. There is no guarantee of Universal ADSL2+ on the rural fringe and the short range VDSL gear will only deploy to urbanised parts of the Douglas exchange with fibre only products deployed very close to the current exchange..sub 500m. Same with Mervue in Galway and Letterkenny. If you have nothing now at the current extremity of the exchange area then you will continue to have nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

hoodwinked wrote: »
    Hi guys

i saw Douglas Cork was one of the areas set to get fibre broadband, can you tell me what parts of douglas will get it? e.g how far out will it stretch?

Hi hoodwinked,

Thanks for your post.

If you register your interest in fibre broadband on our website, you will be contacted either by email or directly if fibre is available in your area.

http://www.eircom.net/broadband/fibre/

The Fibre Broadband Team will also be able to answer any specific queries relating to fibre broadband in your area.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    It won't stretch out. There is no guarantee of Universal ADSL2+ on the rural fringe and the short range VDSL gear will only deploy to urbanised parts of the Douglas exchange with fibre only products deployed very close to the current exchange..sub 500m. Same with Mervue in Galway and Letterkenny. If you have nothing now at the current extremity of the exchange area then you will continue to have nothing.

Currantly have 12Mbit ADSL 2+ being about 2k from the Douglas exchange. Do you think it's likely fibre will have any benefit for me?

If you are in suburban Douglas you will get VDSL2 which will bump you to 40 or 50mbits at the same price and can go to 100mbits quite easily. If you are south of Cork Suburbia in the half of the Douglas Exchange Area that is rural I suggest you find out what eircom intend to do for you.

I don't expect VDSL out there in Mount Elma and Laplands and Ballinrea but I would expect best effort ADSL2+ launched from the edge of suburbia and available to all in the rural fringe.

I think you will find there is no such guarantee from eircom. :(

gpf101 wrote: »
    Currantly have 12Mbit ADSL 2+ being about 2k from the Douglas exchange. Do you think it's likely fibre will have any benefit for me?

Thanks for posting on the Forum.

Just to add, at the moment the situation is that eircom have a number of fibre pilot schemes. These are in testing mode. I've spoken with the fibre team and they are hopeful testing and roll out will be completed soon. I don't have any further information on the Douglas exchange and when it is due to be upgraded /or enabled for fibre to the cabinet or home. As the exchanges are upgraded the Fibre team will start other pilots and it hoped that this will be more widespread. The ony thing I would advise at this time is that you keep an eye on the website : http://www.eircom.net/broadband/fibre/ - More information on the eircom's fibre broadband roll out will appear here. You can also register your interest in fibre and a member of the team will contact you (email /phone) if it is available in your area. All costs and packages associated with the firbre product are also listed.

As for Adsl2 and fibre and will it benefit you. I would imagine fibre broadband will enchance your connection. There's no guarantee with any Adsl product, as pointed out. Fibre is a newer technology and broadband is provided over light frequency, so it will improve speeds and your broadband connection overall. For the wider audience, VDSL is a DSL technology like ADSL, SDSL etc. and is used on copper wires, although fibre is usually used to connect the VDSL DSLAM to the world.

As said, future updates will appear on the eircom Fibre Broadband website. And if you are interested in fibre broadband you can register on the website.

eircom Fibre Broadband Coverage Map : http://www.eircom.net/broadband/fibre/map/

eircom Fibre Broadband is now available in Wexford and South Dublin - check the maps above to see if your address is in the fibre area. View details of our great fibre bundles.
    If you are able to find your address in the fibre area but don't have a phone number to complete your purchase online, call 1800 503 703.
    If you're not in an fibre enabled area you may still be able to get eircom Broadband.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Hi Ant we are currently getting 6mb from the douglas exchange we are in maryborough, but i have seen them recently laying down new cables (i am assuming its the fibre) in the village and im sure i saw eircom on the maryborough hill.

considering some of the phone lines in the donnybrook and grange areas can barely hold 2 or 3mb im hoping soon we'll have a better service as part of this pilot, im just wondering will it be only the village itself benefitting or will the parts of douglas e.g donnybrook, grange, maryborough benefit?

the maps don't show anything outside the two areas and only say what is done not what they are intending to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    If you are in suburban Douglas you will get VDSL2 which will bump you to 40 or 50mbits at the same price and can go to 100mbits quite easily. If you are south of Cork Suburbia in the half of the Douglas Exchange Area that is rural I suggest you find out what eircom intend to do for you.

I don't expect VDSL out there in Mount Elma and Laplands and Ballinrea but I would expect best effort ADSL2+ launched from the edge of suburbia and available to all in the rural fringe.

I think you will find there is no such guarantee from eircom. :(

I'm on the South Douglas rd literally on the line of the exchange border. Definitely on the Douglas exchange. Hopefully during the summer there might be some progress even though 12Mbit is pretty good for everything bar compulsive 1080p film downloads...

Interestingly we are almost 1km closer as the crow flies to the quaker road exchange and about 500m closer to the Hettyfield exchange but for some reason they connected us to the Douglas one.

Hi Ant we are currently getting 6mb from the douglas exchange we are in maryborough, but i have seen them recently laying down new cables (i am assuming its the fibre) in the village and im sure i saw eircom on the maryborough hill.

considering some of the phone lines in the donnybrook and grange areas can barely hold 2 or 3mb im hoping soon we'll have a better service as part of this pilot, im just wondering will it be only the village itself benefitting or will the parts of douglas e.g donnybrook, grange, maryborough benefit?

the maps don't show anything outside the two areas and only say what is done not what they are intending to do.

Thanks hoodwinked,

Appreciate what you say and I do hope that fibre is on its way in your area. Unfortunately I don't have further information or any indications that fibre will be provided in the Douglas area. As soon as there is more information available I will try to give you more details. Again, the Fibre Broadband website and coverage maps will be updated as the fibre broadband is rolled out.

Best wishes

Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

KN Network Services were laying fibre on behalf of Eircom all over Douglas village and Maryborough areas last week. As to when all that goes live is another question altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

25Mb product has 100 GB usage quota.
    50Mb product has 250 GB usage quota.
    150Mb product has 500 GB usage quota.

I'm on eircom ADSL2+ 24Mb product and line syncs at full 24Mb, giving me a constant speed of over 20Mb on speed tests with 250 GB quota for 40 euro.

Why would I pay 50 euro for essentially the same speed and a 100 GB quota. It doesn't make sense!

As for the other quotas, there would be no point in upgrading to a 150Mb line with a 500 GB quota as after just a few hours of downloading, that would be your month's quota gone so you would end up in a situation where you are paying 70 euro for a 150Mb line that you cannot use!

The only nice thing about the fibre broadband that I can see is the upload speeds. 8Mb / 20 Mb / 30 Mb respectively. I might pay the extra 10 euro for the 8Mb upload speed but the 100GB quota is a joke though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

They were pulling fibre to a cabinet at the top of Clarke's Hill this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Ant - would you know when the country wide rollout for fibre is? Also when would it be possible to get fibre in Limerick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi Guys,

At the moment eircom are in the process of completing Phase 1 and still installing phase 2. We have no definitive indications of the activation dates as yet I'm afraid.

However any information / updates will be posted on our fibre website -

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭IE2012

Hi hoodwinked,

Thanks for your post.

If you register your interest in fibre broadband on our website, you will be contacted either by email or directly if fibre is available in your area.

The Fibre Broadband Team will also be able to answer any specific queries relating to fibre broadband in your area.

Best wishes,
    Ant

but Ant the actual fiber footprint is very small for FTTH, i am surprised that Drogheda, the biggest town in Ireland is not getting any FTTH!

perhaps eircom is saving it for areas, that upc serve with fiber already ?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭kdaly100

The link for fibre on this thread now goes to a bundle site.

I heard from someone that the Douglas Grange area was to get fibre soon. I recently renewed with Eircom for my broadband (no other options sadly) and the call center person said that in the new year it would be coming to the Douglas area. I will believe it when I see it as at the moment the speed is flaky at best and I am jealous of UPC customers who are getting amazing speeds for the same prices.

It is coming to the Douglas exchange area in Cork, in fact the shiny green box should be installed very near you by now......for activation some time in 2013.

Advertisement