Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sci Fi Series

Options
  • 21-03-2012 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi all,
    I'm going to start a thread of good sci fi series to read, this is mostly to get a good list of books to read when I need one. I'll start it off:

The Culture Series by Iain M Banks
    Culture series

Commonwealth Saga/Void trilogy by Peter F Hamilton
    Commonwealth Saga

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Probably get a better response here.

But a few that stand out for me, though some are quite loosely connected.

Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds

Takeshi Kovacs by Richard Morgan

Polity Universe by Neal Asher

Dune by Frank Herbert

Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Getting too lazy to link, but Ringworld by Larry Niven, Space Odyssey and Rama by Arthur C. Clarke, Xeelee by Stephen Baxter, Hyperion by Dan Simmons, Uplift by David Brin...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

mcgovern wrote: »
    Dune by Frank Herbert
    Can strongly recommend the above; Richard Morgan also have some very good stand alone sci fi books such as Black Man and Market Forces and his fantasy series are also interesting (lets only say if you expect the usual goody toe shoe hero coming through and being the "good guy" then you're in for a shock).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Willliam Gibson's "Sprawl" trilogy, which begins with Neuromancer.

China Miéville's "Bas-Lag" cycle - Perdido Street Station, The Scar, and the one nobody likes, Iron Council. This series is more steampunky-fantasy than SF, and I prefer Miéville's stand-alone novels The City and the City and the more strictly SF Embassytown.

Brian Aldiss' "Helliconia" trilogy is another famous one; I've yet to read it, but his early novel Non-Stop is a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

if you like hard sci-fi, check out Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

The Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons.

Epic sci-fi that revolves around a diverse group of interplanetary citizens heading off on a pilgrimage to meet this guy:

simmons.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 LimitingFactor

Ah ye, I've read the Hyperion books. I have to say that the Shrike is probably my favourite (monster?) of all the books I've read. Cheers for the replies, I'll be sorted for books for the next while anyway. I'll post up any other good one's I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭eire4

mcgovern wrote: »
    Probably get a better response here.

But a few that stand out for me, though some are quite loosely connected.

Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds

Polity Universe by Neal Asher

Dune by Frank Herbert

Getting too lazy to link, but Ringworld by Larry Niven, Space Odyssey and Rama by Arthur C. Clarke, Xeelee by Stephen Baxter, Hyperion by Dan Simmons, Uplift by David Brin...

I am a big fan of the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov also. I would also suggest "The Way" series by Greg Bear.

Advertisement