Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Wins New Music Collective Rough Sex

Options
  • 21-03-2012 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Rough Sex is a brand new Dublin based collective with a focus on alternative music that launches in The Mezz on March 23rd.

Initially focused on putting gigs on in and around Dublin on a fortnightly basis, Rough Sex will also expand nationwide. Compilation CDs will be released under the somewhat filthy name.

Headlining on the night is Budget of the Shopping Anarchist, a three piece outfit from Dublin who recently released their self-titled debut EP.

Rough Sex describes the band as a polished act that could have the blogosphere in hype mode very soon.

The recently formed French Bird, is a band that differentiates itself with an energetic sound that also carries a punk edge. Fresh from recording their debut EP [due out later this month], the band are psyched to bring their material to a live setting.

Also playing on the night is Swords upstart April Space, a three piece band that pride themselves on melodic riffs with a sturdy drum kit.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rough-Sex-Gigs/392403350775410

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Moved to Gigs & Events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Nice name :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

teddanson wrote: »
    Compilation CDs will be released under the somewhat filthy juvenile name.

FYP

The name alone would put me off this venture. It's frankly a stupid name and I'd guess it was chosen because it will attract (brief) attention rather than because it is a fitting name for the project. It strikes me as the kind of name an amateur group would choose for some quick initial publicity, but in the long run a name like that has no shelf life and will ultimately put people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 teddanson

FYP

The name alone would put me off this venture. It's frankly a stupid name and I'd guess it was chosen because it will attract (brief) attention rather than because it is a fitting name for the project. It strikes me as the kind of name an amateur group would choose for some quick initial publicity, but in the long run a name like that has no shelf life and will ultimately put people off.

It is a fitting name for the project, as like rough sex, the bands that play at the night are exciting and energetic; you will not find any acoustic guitars or dull acts here.

As for the self life, here is a similar business in a similar location with a similar target market, branding themselves C.U.*.T. which has been successful for at least the past 3 years.

http://dublin.lecool.com/dublin/en/12191?print=true

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭DaveyCakes

FYP

Compilation CDs will be released under the somewhat filthy juvenile name.

I agree with every word of this. And "Dublin Wins New Music Collective Rough Sex"....:confused:...please!

• Advertisement

It is a fitting name for the project, as like rough sex, the bands that play at the night are exciting and energetic; you will not find any acoustic guitars or dull acts here.

As for the self life, here is a similar business in a similar location with a similar target market, branding themselves C.U.*.T. which has been successful for at least the past 3 years.

http://dublin.lecool.com/dublin/en/12191?print=true

If this project is still operating in 3 years (and I would be astonished if it were), I will withdraw the part of my post relating to shelf life. Everything else I've said will stand either way.

The fact that you're so passionate about the night's name and ignore the important issue that this is a non-profit, DIY night promoting young independent Irish acts, is an oversight on your part.

the important issue that this is a non-profit, DIY night

Seeing as you didn't even mention these "issues" yourself in your own first post they can't be all that important to you.

By comparison the name of the event was mentioned by you three times.

I really don't think you can claim the high ground on this one :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The fact that you're so passionate about the night's name and ignore the important issue that this is a non-profit, DIY night promoting young independent Irish acts, is an oversight on your part.

Yep and a name like Rough Sex really captures the ethos perfectly.

Awful awful awful name. I'd expect it to be the title of a Green Day Best Of Album.

Edit: None of the above is on your facebook page either.

TBH the whole thing comes across as juvenile.

I genuinely wish you luck, but as it stands i have zero interest in anything i've seen from you.

Seeing as you didn't even mention these "issues" yourself in your own first post they can't be all that important to you.

By comparison the name of the event was mentioned by you three times.

I really don't think you can claim the high ground on this one :pac:

Obviously they're important issues to me or I wouldn't be putting in my time into it for absolutely no profit!

I did not write the article... but i stick by the fact that mentioning an organisation's name three times in a post about said organisation is commonplace in promotion!

I am not claiming any high ground on this one, I am not that arrogant!

To everyone else, the night was a great success, well done to April Space, French Bird and Budget of the Shopping Anarchist for putting on great performances! Many more gigs to come!

• Advertisement
Advertisement