Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soup

Options
  • 21-03-2012 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

I'm looking for very simple recipes for homemade soup.

I have a sensitive stomach at the moment and am not using stock cubes in soup and am avoiding a lot of herbs and acidic vegetables. I won't be using garlic, onion, pepper and so on.

I currently use carrot and mushrooms. Other ingredients I can use are green beans, peas, broccoli, cauliflower and parsley.

What would be a good combination in terms of taste?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Can you use leeks? You could do potatie and leek.

Or a simple recipe would be butternut squash or sweet potatoe. Although I can't imagine having that without onion or garlic. You could use nutmeg to flavour it a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Caroline5437

Unfortunately I would have to omit the leek, but thanks for the suggestions! I'm relatively limited with ingredients at the moment, but perhaps a sprinkle of salt would do the trick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

These aren't on your list :o but might be suitable
    Spinach and sweet potato
    Swede (with rosemary/thyme if you can have them)
    Carrot and parsnip (with black pepper)

Brocolli and blue cheese is yum but if the blue cheese is a bit much try melting cheddar into brocolli/ potato soup

Edited to add: could you not make your own stock? Maybe chicken?

Thanks :) I'm definitely going to try pea soup. I wonder what sweet potato, carrot and salt combination would taste like.

Do you think sweet potato and peas would work? The more greens in a meal, the better!

• Advertisement

Mary-Ellen wrote: »
    These aren't on your list :o but might be suitable
    Spinach and sweet potato
    Swede (with rosemary/thyme if you can have them)
    Carrot and parsnip (with black pepper)

Brocolli and blue cheese is yum but if the blue cheese is a bit much try melting cheddar into brocolli/ potato soup

Edited to add: could you not make your own stock? Maybe chicken?

I like the sound of the spinach and sweet potato soup. Sounds like a good combination.

I haven't tried making a stock before, but might try it if I can figure out a flavoursome version within the boundaries of the less harsh foods and herbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

You could try roasting your veg before blending to increase flavour.

Advertisement